[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [27.0][18.05.2024][VA Revamp]

Beale

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

Even with the current update progression... it'd be years before the modding scene was robust enough

I really don't know the reasons why people wanted to transition so quickly to KSP2. 

people making 3d art for the game wanted a new out-the-box platform to make nice PBR material parts. That's simple as it ever was. Of course we have things like TU in ksp now, but it's still gimped by not being stock, and the poor lighting in-game.

30 minutes ago, Lisias said:

They didn't. It was artificially pushed.

Not sure what you're trying to imply here. Doesn't sound like anything I (nor any other modder I know) experienced.  What little contact I had with the KSP 2 devs was more along the lines of "Yeah, love what you do in KSP1, can't wait to see what you do in the sequel once modding tools are out", far from being held at gunpoint.

Anyway, on a bit of a tangent, recently playing career again, I can't plug Tweakscale enough, Jonny did an amazing job.

What might I be scaling? Well...

l5xtp0h.png

idJPlmh.png

Posted (edited)

Discussion of KSP2 is off topic for Tantares.

@ the Tantares team:  Is there a todo list we can view of things you guys want to do with Tantares?  With the obvious caveat that the order of the list doesn't reflect importance or a timeline.

So far on the list we can see:

• revamp Proton
  • Revamp R7/Soyuz rocket

If I may throw in some suggestions:

• The Energia core stage is "too long".  This is in comparison with Hugoraider's Buran Orbiter Construction Kit.  I can get comparison pics when I get home, but honest just a minor detail compared to my next suggestion.
  • Revamp N1 again?  I'd like it if the 2nd and 3rd stage tanks had a mesh switch to add the shields and nodes on the shields for roll control thrusters (though we could just radial attach some thrusters to the shield section, probably don't need separate attach nodes).  Example image of the shield.   And then example image of where I think the thrusters are on the 3rd stage, and maybe a stick figure for scale for the heck of it.

hmraLui.jpeg

Yeah, the more I think of it, just having the shields as an option and letting us radially attach stuff to them would be great, probably don't need to do a total revamp.

I think that's all I have to suggest to add to the great todo list of Tantares.  I look forward to seeing the team do some amazing things.  And get some sleep!

Edited by MashAndBangers

3 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

@ the Tantares team:  Is there a todo list we can view of things you guys want to do with Tantares?  With the obvious caveat that the order of the list doesn't reflect importance or a timeline.

• revamp Proton
  • Revamp R7/Soyuz rocket

If I may throw in some suggestions:

• The Energia core stage is "too long".  This is in comparison with Hugoraider's Buran Orbiter Construction Kit.  I can get comparison pics when I get home, but honest just a minor detail compared to my next suggestion.
  • Revamp N1 again?  I'd like it if the 2nd and 3rd stage tanks had a mesh switch to add the shields and nodes on the shields for roll control thrusters (though we could just radial attach some thrusters to the shield section, probably don't need separate attach nodes).  Example image of the shield.   And then example image of where I think the thrusters are on the 3rd stage, and maybe a stick figure for scale for the heck of it.

hmraLui.jpeg

Yeah, the more I think of it, just having the shields as an option and letting us attach stuff to them would be great, probably don't need to do a total revamp.

I think that's all I have to suggest to add to the great todo list of Tantares.  I look forward to seeing the team do some amazing things.  And get some sleep!

Might have to challenge the energia being too long? it should be pretty close I think, had a massive stack of drawings while making that one, but you never know. ;.;

Great N1 refs, thank you.

I can't promise anything we'll be doing yet, what you see is the focus 100%. There's definitely some stuff that doesn't hold up well (the two biggest offenders currently being revamped). but, will see in good time.

2 hours ago, BlackDinoShadows said:

What do you use or how do you do your to do textures because I really like them and I would like to have a such high quality level on my models :D

Thanks very much! I use photoshop, mostly some low opacity wear textures with overlay blending, then simple vector shapes with FX layers (outer glow / inner glow) for the raised, sunken squares / bolts etc.

The panel lines are single pixel pens, with a little stroke FX around them, at low opacity.

7SW1TjL.png

Wo68nG4.png

https://imgur.com/a/xfJTU5G

@Beale Some time ago I was doing some research for my attempt at a L3M/LKM mod (Project abandoned for now). I came to the conclusion that the N1 would have to be reworked with a smaller diameter and new faring to be proportional. Please keep this in mind for a future N1 remake.
Also, great work on the Proton so far! Will there be a 4 engine version as well?

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Might have to challenge the energia being too long?

Yeah I'm gonna back down from that, trying to find clear ref images of the Buran and Energia with Das Google is frustrating!  As far as I can tell, it's perfect!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, AZZlyTheAZZome said:

https://imgur.com/a/xfJTU5G

@Beale Some time ago I was doing some research for my attempt at a L3M/LKM mod (Project abandoned for now). I came to the conclusion that the N1 would have to be reworked with a smaller diameter and new faring to be proportional. Please keep this in mind for a future N1 remake.
Also, great work on the Proton so far! Will there be a 4 engine version as well?

Cool project!

Yes, it should be 3.125m diameter at the fairing base. Any future version would be. It ends up quite a bit smaller.
IIRC I chose 3.75m in the past, as 3.125m at the top causes all manner of weird sizes in the lower stages, but... well these parts aren't exactly general use.

IlFrn1f.png

Edited by Beale

4 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

• revamp Proton
  • Revamp R7/Soyuz rocket

I have some plans after soyuz (Not all of them revamps ;)), but all in due time.

14 hours ago, CardZLol said:

I have some plans after soyuz (Not all of them revamps ;)), but all in due time.

It would be real cool if either of you could make a dedicated Progress part to match the new Soyuz spacecraft, but I assume you both have already though of that :P

18 hours ago, Beale said:

Cool project!

Yes, it should be 3.125m diameter at the fairing base. Any future version would be. It ends up quite a bit smaller.
IIRC I chose 3.75m in the past, as 3.125m at the top causes all manner of weird sizes in the lower stages, but... well these parts aren't exactly general use.

IlFrn1f.png

I thought that it would be better to make the top 2.5m Di. (For forum folk: Salyut/Mir core size) with a size ~3m SAF fairing, and remake the Block G for 1.5m Di. (BDB Gemini size) or 1.875m (BDB-Titan-II) or just keep the original 2.5m size.

Diameters. Diameters. Diameters. This is a mess.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, soyuz 33 said:

I know its most likely no and i understand why but could we ever have a variant of the N1's bottom stage with attachment points for individual Engines?

It's unfortunately beyond the limits of what you can set in the symmetry system.

3 hours ago, AZZlyTheAZZome said:

I thought that it would be better to make the top 2.5m Di. (For forum folk: Salyut/Mir core size) with a size ~3m SAF fairing, and remake the Block G for 1.5m Di. (BDB Gemini size) or 1.875m (BDB-Titan-II) or just keep the original 2.5m size.

Diameters. Diameters. Diameters. This is a mess.

Would be way too small unfortunately. We usually * diameters by 0.625, the N1 at 5m goes to 3.125 exactly (handy)! 2.5 is 80% smaller still!

The old Tantares N1 (before it was revamped) was 2.5m, you could download the older version and give it a spin, if you want to advocate for that size, figure out any quirks with it, could be worth a try.

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresLV

91kqxH2.jpeg

JQv6yy4.png

LwCvHjB.png

983Bfar.png

YvOdv2t.png

Edited by Beale

14 hours ago, Beale said:

It's unfortunately beyond the limits of what you can set in the symmetry system.

Would be way too small unfortunately. We usually * diameters by 0.625, the N1 at 5m goes to 3.125 exactly (handy)! 2.5 is 80% smaller still!

The old Tantares N1 (before it was revamped) was 2.5m, you could download the older version and give it a spin, if you want to advocate for that size, figure out any quirks with it, could be worth a try.

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresLV

91kqxH2.jpeg

JQv6yy4.png

LwCvHjB.png

983Bfar.png

YvOdv2t.png

I mean you could still do it by hand without symmetry but i can understand why you wouldn't do it as it would require making the new part with 30 attachment points and then a NK-15 rocket engine But i love the new models you have been baking up

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, soyuz 33 said:

I mean you could still do it by hand without symmetry but i can understand why you wouldn't do it as it would require making the new part with 30 attachment points and then a NK-15 rocket engine But i love the new models you have been baking up

Tantares' N1 is the N1F, and the NK-33 is already in the game. As for the attachment points, raidernicks N1 just has 2x symmetry and it's... fine. Some of the engine mounts in near future launch vehicles also have janky symmetry and it's *fine*.

Edited by cornchev

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, cornchev said:

The new Proton engines currently have their ISP sea level and vacuum values reversed

Thanks, will fix.

11 hours ago, soyuz 33 said:

there's a few more problems too, like if you have 4 engines in parallel the SFX already becomes torture, not sure how 30 would sound but my ears hurt all ready. is there a way around that for many engines? Some kind of config thing, would be tempted then.

Tantares SP 6.0 For KSP 1.12.X

I know this is *really* overdue. To the extent people might not even remember I was working on it.

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresSP/releases/tag/v6.0

0KJYydp.pngNave_espacial_Venera_8.jpg

Edited by Beale

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Thanks, will fix.

there's a few more problems too, like if you have 4 engines in parallel the SFX already becomes torture, not sure how 30 would sound but my ears hurt all ready. is there a way around that for many engines? Some kind of config thing, would be tempted then.

Tantares SP 6.0 For KSP 1.12.X

I know this is *really* overdue. To the extent people might not even remember I was working on it.

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresSP/releases/tag/v6.0

0KJYydp.pngNave_espacial_Venera_8.jpg

Happiest day of my life" template from Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 7,  "Bad Batch arc") : r/MemeTemplatesOfficial