[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

You're welcome! It's one of the first images that comes up if you google Fregat, it's the specific configuration that was used for the Phobos-Grunt mission.

Beale, could you clarify two things for me:

1) What exactly are the Hamal Descent Blocks? Are they just the progress cores that are meant to survive reentry? Or are they supposed to be Zond Circumlunar modules (which is what I always thought they were)

2) Why are the parts for the British rockets, as well as the Antares rocket, located in the same node as the Mainsail? Why not push them back a level or two. The Black Prince parts in particular would be nice to have before 2.5m rockets become available. I was considering making the change in the cfgs on my end but I was curious what the reasoning was.

I must have missed it! :wink:

In answer to your questions:

1) A little from both options, they are essentially Progress cores designed to recreate more modern Progress craft, re-entry is a bonus. The use for a Zond craft is optional extra.

2) Lazy tech tree configuration. I do not really play career sincerely enough to pay much attention to it, I will take a second look.

You can go to the Moon, but I will not let you go further.

68a96f4d07.jpg

Hey Beale, I know you've been busy making a lot of changes and all. But I have one little minor request. Mission flags! I found these awesome Kerbalized flags of real space agencies, and I feel like I'm missing out on using them by not being able to deck out my Soyuzes with a Soviet (Koviet?) flag!

Anyway, I don't think it's much work to add, but it would be a lot of parts, so, :)

Here is a modern-day Soyuz.

4478983700_abd97553db_b.jpg

This is a Soyuz rocket, and you can see the flags on the boosters. They're also on the fairing (which I doubt is feasible), and you can see just barely a flag on the upper stage.

1024px-Soyuz_TMA-05M_spacecraft_roll_out_by_train_2.jpg

Finally, here is an upper stage with a typical flag position.

cluster_1.jpg

Basically just this.

Proton_Zvezda_crop.jpg

And etc, etc with pictures. I know you know what you're doing.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Will you make a special fairing base for Fregat? One that's bigger than the current one?

And while I'm on that subject, your Fregat seems a little small.

And also what happened to those solar panels for the Soyuz that fit flush-ish with the SM?

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Hello Beale,

i made a very fast Q&D demo for a FREGAT upper stage. Textures also Q&D but the structure is clear.

Upper side a smal 6.25 m couple-adapter. 2 small RCS-Tanks. 2 big spheres for control, SAS and battery. 4 big spheres for liquide fuel and oxydizer. The RCS-Thruster must be added, so the diameter overall is only 1.35m.

MCjShdJ.png

Hello Beale,

i made a very fast Q&D demo for a FREGAT upper stage. Textures also Q&D but the structure is clear.

Upper side a smal 6.25 m couple-adapter. 2 small RCS-Tanks. 2 big spheres for control, SAS and battery. 4 big spheres for liquide fuel and oxydizer. The RCS-Thruster must be added, so the diameter overall is only 1.35m.

I must say I prefer the added greebles in hraban's version. I feel like it captures the design a lot better; ie not just the spheres but the extra junk stuck on them.

Hey Beale, I know you've been busy making a lot of changes and all. But I have one little minor request. Mission flags! I found these awesome Kerbalized flags of real space agencies, and I feel like I'm missing out on using them by not being able to deck out my Soyuzes with a Soviet (Koviet?) flag!

Anyway, I don't think it's much work to add, but it would be a lot of parts, so, :)

Here is a modern-day Soyuz.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4014/4478983700_abd97553db_b.jpg

This is a Soyuz rocket, and you can see the flags on the boosters. They're also on the fairing (which I doubt is feasible), and you can see just barely a flag on the upper stage.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Soyuz_TMA-05M_spacecraft_roll_out_by_train_2.jpg/1024px-Soyuz_TMA-05M_spacecraft_roll_out_by_train_2.jpg

Finally, here is an upper stage with a typical flag position.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/images/rockets/soyuz/stage3/cluster_1.jpg

Basically just this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Proton_Zvezda_crop.jpg

And etc, etc with pictures. I know you know what you're doing.

Flags will be good to add! Yes, hopefully expect this.

Will you make a special fairing base for Fregat? One that's bigger than the current one?

And while I'm on that subject, your Fregat seems a little small.

And also what happened to those solar panels for the Soyuz that fit flush-ish with the SM?

Fregat fits okay on current fairing base, though it could use a larger platform (1.875m?)

Fregat size is accurate based on orthographic drawings, it is probably bad perspective in screenshot.

And yes, the solar panels need still be reworked :)

I've been away from KSP for a while, waiting for the 1.1 update, and just stopped back to see what was up. As usual Beale is creating amazing things as are the peeps using Tantares.

Thanks!

Hello Beale,

http://i.imgur.com/MCjShdJ.png

I must say I prefer the added greebles in hraban's version. I feel like it captures the design a lot better; ie not just the spheres but the extra junk stuck on them.

Nice model!

Yes I plan the extra bits, but as separate parts, something like this:

89d322f41a.jpg

Edited by Beale

Oh, looking good! A 1.875 metre fairing base would be pretty cool... You should consider making a smaller one that actually fits the 1.25 form factor the whole way down(Not tapering like the current), one that's 1.875 all the way up and down, one that's 2.5, and one that's 3.75 to fit the other launchers!

Hmm, it kind of seems like the ablator modules are really under powered. Especially in KScale2. It seems some of the rockets are a little under powered too...

Not at all, almost all rockets are still too strong.

Compare a geostationary orbit:

Kerbal Space Program Standard ~ 3860 km

real world ~ 35000 km

A Soyuz rocket reached at the time of decoupling of the Progress-Supply-Vehicle just 180 km in a parabolic flight.

Converted to the KSP would be 19km. This works not with physics in KSP, the air is at this point still too thick. Accordingly, it needs already more strength to get out of the atmosphere at least, just 80km.

Edited by hraban

Oh, looking good! A 1.875 metre fairing base would be pretty cool... You should consider making a smaller one that actually fits the 1.25 form factor the whole way down(Not tapering like the current), one that's 1.875 all the way up and down, one that's 2.5, and one that's 3.75 to fit the other launchers!

Yep, 2.5m and larger fairing bases will come in later versions.

Nice! The heatshield setup is interesting, I have struggled with delivery of rovers because of this.

Yeah, can someone make a Kscale2 config? I love the extra challenge, and a 3.2x Kerbin config would be cool as well.

I would make a rescale config, perhaps if one emerged as a very dominant type. But, there are x2, x3, x3.2, x5, x6.4, etc. Large variety of scales, no thought from me on which one to support.

First Parachute for 2.5, capsules is ready.

Diameter = 40m

http://i.imgur.com/yzh8Pzc.png

oops

sorry, wrong thread.

Great! It is always difficult to start with the parachutes, congratulations :)

Fregat Beta

Put in TantaresLV folder.

Mainly I would like to know...

• Is the performance good?
  • It should be with / without control core?
  • What more parts it needs?

947242f16b.jpg

Fregat Beta

Put in TantaresLV folder.

Mainly I would like to know...

• Is the performance good?
  • It should be with / without control core?
  • What more parts it needs?

http://puu.sh/kGIC2/947242f16b.jpg

For me personally, I haven't the slightest clue yet as to what design I'll use it in. :P I mean Soyuz looks like some sort of pre-warp interplanetary vessel with that attached to it's back and it looks good! But I'm doing my own thing so.. no worries, once I get my CPU cooler changed with something less noisy and more efficient (only have to wait for it get delivered now) and my creativity going I'll figure something out. :D

As always, without Tantares I wouldn't be playing KSP. Just earlier today I did my second straight up landing with my atomic vessel v2 but with a twist: Suicide burn, made my ship look like it was trying to show Minmus who's it's new overlord. Felt awesome. :D

For me personally' date=' I haven't the slightest clue yet as to what design I'll use it in. :P I mean Soyuz looks like some sort of pre-warp interplanetary vessel with that attached to it's back and it looks good! But I'm doing my own thing so.. no worries, once I get my CPU cooler changed with something less noisy and more efficient (only have to wait for it get delivered now) and my creativity going I'll figure something out. :D

As always, without Tantares I wouldn't be playing KSP. Just earlier today I did my second straight up landing with my atomic vessel v2 but with a twist: Suicide burn, made my ship look like it was trying to show Minmus who's it's new overlord. Felt awesome. :D[/quote']

Best of luck for results with a new cooler :)

As for Fregat, I have tried it for interplanetary mission, in fact deploying a probe towards Ike. The Kerbin ejection was performed by Proton upper stage. Some manouvers and landing by Fregat, not bad performance.

2d9ac954d5.jpg

New SM texture.

In the process of stripping it down to basic components, then rebuilding a cleaner, more standard-ized texture (conforms to the style guide).

300b436b79.jpg

Edited by Beale

I've always felt like the Soyuz SM was a little short...

Nonsense! The SM was made shorter recently to account for the length of the decoupler, previously it was too long.

Its a nice texture though. I like the horizontal lines, they sort of look like the radiators on the real Soyuz.

Edited by pTrevTrevs