[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

The atmospheric lander is very popular it seems :)

Here's the Luna also, there is still a lot of detail to add, but I think it is a nice basis here!

The edges of the doors for sure need work.

http://i.imgur.com/6jUT6vo.png

http://i.imgur.com/EXFl4hw.png

AHH! It's the egg from the "Alien"! Kane Kerman please DO NOT go near it, trust me you'll thank me la- oh it's just a new piece of technology. Whew! :D

Anyway, joking aside I really wasn't expecting to see that thing, so random but a fine looking space egg! Also on a side note I finally got my CPU cooler and so far it's working smooth, I can play KSP (and anything that needed CPU usage higher than 30%) without having to hear that awful chainsaw noise! :cool:

I think I'll be using that egg as a pressure probe or.. secretly conceal a facehugger in there.

Love That luna 5/ mars 3 lander beale! speaking of this thing can you MAYBE add a little prop M like rover to deploy? other than that awesome model as always. [i know a prop M may be difficult with seizing so don't feel bad if it may be hard]

Oh my god Prop-M is the CUTEST thing to ever get flung on a one way journey to a dead planet.

PrOP-M-green-x640.jpg

Look at this thing! It moves with a little clockwork mechanism ploop ploop ploop ploop. And it was tethered to the lander so it didn't wander off. :D

LEK would be a cool choice IMO... Then again, if Beale decides to make a big brick with a wooden door in the middle and call it a lander, it's still going to be beautiful.

PS:I love it that you made your textures available for PP!

OyEhY7I.png

LEK would be a cool choice IMO... Then again, if Beale decides to make a big brick with a wooden door in the middle and call it a lander, it's still going to be beautiful.

PS:I love it that you made your textures available for PP!

http://i.imgur.com/OyEhY7I.png

Yeah, LEK (MEK) would be nice.

MEM is cool though too (I mean DEM)

People are really suggesting the Prop-M? But how? How would he make it move, it uses little paddle things instead of wheels! Besides, it's going to be ridiculously small, so small that it really wouldn't be worth using. Imagine the pain that comes with trying to zoom in close enough to interact with the part, imagine the pain that would come with trying to make a new form of movement that has never before been attempted in KSP.

It would be cool to see Prop-M, but I highly doubt that it can be done.

People are really suggesting the Prop-M? But how? How would he make it move, it uses little paddle things instead of wheels! Besides, it's going to be ridiculously small, so small that it really wouldn't be worth using. Imagine the pain that comes with trying to zoom in close enough to interact with the part, imagine the pain that would come with trying to make a new form of movement that has never before been attempted in KSP.

While it would be small and useless, it has certainly been done before.

Will those doors act as solar panels? If they do, I can already see it being used as an early satellite.

I think that would stray a bit too far from real one :)

So you're making a MEM?

Potentially.

While it would be small and useless, it has certainly been done before.

It can be done with plugins very easily, without plugins I'm not sure. It depends on the versatile-ness of the animation module.

Cool!

Here it is.

I cannot make the doors look very well when closed... But, I suppose it is okay.

My main idea to fix this visible seam... Have a unified mesh, when animation begins swap it out individual doors.

04ed68245d.jpg

caf4932ba6.jpg

727bf59422.jpg

Edited by Beale

Although I've played KSP for several years, I've never done a crewed mission to another planet. I think it's time to change that, so I started testing a lander for a mission to Gilly:

kppTLT6.png

It has small KIS boxes in the sides that contain spots for a science station to be constructed during an EVA. Unfortunately, Gilly's pathetic gravity doesn't hold the lander down very well, so I want to add some harpoon cables. I started working on something with KAS cables and harpoons, but I don't know how to get them to stick to the ground.

I have a small request of some orthographic drawings for APAS and CBM? Current models need to be replaced (and animated!)...

I can definitely help with that. Currently, for CBMs, CxAerospace has the best out there. They're perfectly to scale, they're low profile as they should be, and they're exactly 1.25m at their base, unlike the stupid stock ports. Honestly, I'd contact cxg2827 and see if he feels like sharing. His models for the CBMs are as accurate as you can get.

Here's what I'd do to not break saves, and make some nice variation in docking systems:

• Turn 1.25m TKS Docking Probe and Drogues into 1.25m CBMs.

• Turn 0.625m APAS into ASTP APAS-75.

• Make 0.9375m APAS look more like the APAS-89 or APAS-95. They're very similar.

• Make 1.25m APAS into something completely different. I can't think of a real world counterpart. It doesn't really exist.

• Make Agena docking port for Gemini

• Completely redo Kontact and make a female counterpart

• Leave 0.625m probe and drogue ports as is. (It'd be nice to restyle them to look like the Apollo CM/LEM docking system, but I know that'd

On development front, solar panels are in-game and working fine, the DM now has a flag decal also.

Also, how a darker panels felt?

How are they folding?

Darker looks good. No complaints. :)

The next most important part for IVA - VA capsule, but it needs a total overhaul (I have UV-unwrapped it really poorly in the past). So that needs to wait.

Everything else is a lower priority.

Are you remodeling at all, or just re-uv mapping?

Sometimes I feel Tantares needs another lander aside from LK... Even though the LK can basically land on every atmosphere-less body in the game, maybe except Tylo and Moho.

http://puu.sh/kLHHC/208490620f.jpg

There have been a few suggestions thrown out, all very good, but honestly, what would be nicer than a full lander, is lander parts. Specifically, legs and structural pieces. Some low profile, sturdy legs like ones on Phiale, the LEM, and some of the JPL Martian landers. AIES Aerospace had some really great looking landing legs.

Miscellaneous parts would be better than fully baked landers. I know ESA has a proposed lander of sorts that has a neat design. Perhaps a landing module that could support habitation modules like some of the work you had done a while ago? That stuff seemed interesting. Landing habitats is always frustrating. Parts for that would be nice.

Luna-9 is fun to produce.

Molniya is so pretty, I may take a look at that in the future too (RemoteTech will benefit from this).

Looks great!

Hello Beale,

do not lose yourself in the ultra realistic replicas of some templates.

Firstly, you'll never be able to satisfy some, on the other hand the mod loses more and more his character and no longer fits finally into the overall concept of KSP.

Wow, the Luna lander looks so cool! You are incredible! :)

Also, I am forgetting to show you this pic, Roscosmos patented an inflatable Progress-based module for ISS!

http://cs621828.vk.me/v621828079/43d14/8ScMOB52MXs.jpg

Many thanks!

Wow! Large ISS module delivered on a Soyuz rocket, I like the concept :)

Beale, do you do your animation in Wings3D? And I think keying a mesh switch would work.

Nope, sadly Wings3D lacks animation facilities, so I animate everything in Unity.

Didn't Luna 9 have solar panels on it?

AFAIK No :)

Although I've played KSP for several years, I've never done a crewed mission to another planet. I think it's time to change that, so I started testing a lander for a mission to Gilly:

http://i.imgur.com/kppTLT6.png

It has small KIS boxes in the sides that contain spots for a science station to be constructed during an EVA. Unfortunately, Gilly's pathetic gravity doesn't hold the lander down very well, so I want to add some harpoon cables. I started working on something with KAS cables and harpoons, but I don't know how to get them to stick to the ground.

Really cute lander design!

A good way to land on Gilly is the use of nesting jets + disable SAS I think :wink:

So I would imagine that for Tantares.

http://i.imgur.com/n8tuBPr.png

What do you think?

Really cool!

How does one animate inflatable modules? I think you will need to employ "bone" animation no?

I can definitely help with that. Currently, for CBMs, CxAerospace has the best out there. They're perfectly to scale, they're low profile as they should be, and they're exactly 1.25m at their base, unlike the stupid stock ports. Honestly, I'd contact cxg2827 and see if he feels like sharing. His models for the CBMs are as accurate as you can get.

Here's what I'd do to not break saves, and make some nice variation in docking systems:

• Turn 1.25m TKS Docking Probe and Drogues into 1.25m CBMs.

• Turn 0.625m APAS into ASTP APAS-75.

• Make 0.9375m APAS look more like the APAS-89 or APAS-95. They're very similar.

• Make 1.25m APAS into something completely different. I can't think of a real world counterpart. It doesn't really exist.

• Make Agena docking port for Gemini

• Completely redo Kontact and make a female counterpart

• Leave 0.625m probe and drogue ports as is. (It'd be nice to restyle them to look like the Apollo CM/LEM docking system, but I know that'd

How are they folding?

Darker looks good. No complaints. :)

Are you remodeling at all, or just re-uv mapping?

There have been a few suggestions thrown out, all very good, but honestly, what would be nicer than a full lander, is lander parts. Specifically, legs and structural pieces. Some low profile, sturdy legs like ones on Phiale, the LEM, and some of the JPL Martian landers. AIES Aerospace had some really great looking landing legs.

Miscellaneous parts would be better than fully baked landers. I know ESA has a proposed lander of sorts that has a neat design. Perhaps a landing module that could support habitation modules like some of the work you had done a while ago? That stuff seemed interesting. Landing habitats is always frustrating. Parts for that would be nice.

Looks great!

Docking ports sound fine, I think that is the plan more or less :)

The solar panels are currently folding the same way, I got a little frustrated trying to position the fuselage-hugging ones in-game.

For VA, not perhaps a full remodell, but just a new texture map yes.

Aaaand on landers, I have a few ideas like that, I'll demonstrate soon.

Hello Beale,

do not lose yourself in the ultra realistic replicas of some templates.

Firstly, you'll never be able to satisfy some, on the other hand the mod loses more and more his character and no longer fits finally into the overall concept of KSP.

No worries! I am still playing very fast and loose with details :)

ab97484ffa.jpg

The mesh switch does work, and is very seamless.

c8f0da8f14.jpg

Curtquarquesso has also done some very cool things.

WI356XJ.gif

I have been using the lander's RCS as nesting jets, but in Gilly's gravity the lander is so light that the slightest bump can send it flying. It's even a little dangerous to climb down the ladder for EVA.

Constructing the surface experiment is quite annoying as well. Kerbals can't actually walk on Gilly without flying several meters above the ground each time, so I find myself flying around with the jet pack between the lander and the surface experiment site.

Gilly = Much pain. Perhaps I should have chosen a larger planet, like Moho or Dres...

He he he! That animated docking port looks great!

They also posses some very very interesting properties, I will allow curtquarquesso to elaborate! :)

I have been using the lander's RCS as nesting jets, but in Gilly's gravity the lander is so light that the slightest bump can send it flying. It's even a little dangerous to climb down the ladder for EVA.

Constructing the surface experiment is quite annoying as well. Kerbals can't actually walk on Gilly without flying several meters above the ground each time, so I find myself flying around with the jet pack between the lander and the surface experiment site.

Gilly = Much pain. Perhaps I should have chosen a larger planet, like Moho or Dres...

Gilly is among my favourite places to go, but it is tricky! KAS anchors are very useful. Also realise you can fly around on RCS like a hovercar.