[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

I was just building a rocket with FAR and was using the Vos-909 monopropellant engine.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Apparently to FAR the engine fairing for this motor do not actually block anything, to FAR the fairing is not there. The green line shows cross-sectional area. I think it may be a issue with colliders? As I have many other engines that do not have this issue. I just wanted to give a heads up for max compatibility.

Glad to share. :) I'll be posting a teaser for my next project hopefully before the weekend. Stay tuned.

Are you planning on releasing the Black Prince in Tantares, TantaresLV, or AB Launchers? A 1.875m lifter fills a nice spot in the stock KSP livery.

In the spirit of today's announcement, the Virgo II Lunar Lander has been worked on a bit. Performs better, and looks better. Make sure you grab a Pre-War U.S.A. flag for the mission!

http://i.imgur.com/sH7c7vF.png

Hype... Hype never changes...

http://i.imgur.com/FsrQD9k.png

http://i.imgur.com/NkfulP2.png

http://i.imgur.com/dvLvq94.png

Wow! That was a big surprise, thanks for linking.

And, nice Virgo lander! very cute!

About the Black Prince, I don't know where it goes. TantaresLV is obvious, but an obscure British concept rocket from the 1970s? Mmmm...

I might just hide it in a 16x16 button on the front page :wink:

Anyway, I will probably fly a Gemini 4 mission this afternoon. If you want some good pictures of Gemini, I can supply then.

That would be very cool :)

I was just building a rocket with FAR and was using the Vos-909 monopropellant engine. http://imgur.com/a/ltr6F Apparently to FAR the engine fairing for this motor do not actually block anything, to FAR the fairing is not there. The green line shows cross-sectional area. I think it may be a issue with colliders? As I have many other engines that do not have this issue. I just wanted to give a heads up for max compatibility.

Thanks for highlighting this, FAR does not get much attention from me, it is true. :)

I'm not sure how to setup the fairings to work with FAR, if anything special is needed. Got a guide?

There is only one collider currently, for the engine 'cone'.

cb448cca4b.jpg

The prince that was promised

Only the second stage engine remains.

The second stage is a little thicker than the real Black Prince, should be pretty nice for an early - medium satellite launcher.

ae5f85e91d.jpg

ef072732a6.jpg

This engine has a fairing too, now.

ffab29d7d9.jpg

Edited by Beale

Curtquarquesso, for your agena file I got the tweakscale bug where it puts the part back to its original size in-flight. Do you know how to fix this without launching another?

Aghhh... Oh dear. It's a bug with stock that TweakScale exposes. Basically, you can't have a scaled root part. You can scale the root part, and then later select an un-scaled part as the root, and be ok, but you can't have an active vessel with a scaled root part. The Gemini doesn't even have a scale config. Which part on the craft changed size?

I'm attempting to recreate it, but with no luck. The Gemini pod is the root part, and always was the root part, and doesn't even have a scale config... :|

Edited by curtquarquesso

Aghhh... Oh dear. It's a bug with stock that TweakScale exposes. Basically, you can't have a scaled root part. You can scale the root part, and then later select an un-scaled part as the root, and be ok, but you can't have an active vessel with a scaled root part. The Gemini doesn't even have a scale config. Which part on the craft changed size?

Ah now I see, it was the fuel tank on the agena that I set so I could make separate crafts, and I must have set the fuel tank as the root part...

Ah now I see, it was the fuel tank on the agena that I set so I could make separate crafts, and I must have set the fuel tank as the root part...

Yep. That would do it. When you select a part to be the root, select either the FL-T800, or the 0.9375m Docking probe as the root. If you're trying to attach it to a launch vehicle, you may have to temporarily select the LV-T15, just make sure before you launch, to select another unscaled part as the root. :)

TantaresLV TweakScale Config is just about done. Have everything working but some of the Ariane parts. Not entirely sure why.

Why would you ever need a 3.75m Proton? Why not!

cvQDDua.png

It makes the Mir Core Module look tiny!

t4M43lt.png

I see what you mean now @Beale about a 1.875m R7 being too large. Very large indeed.

mOsr1zO.png

The only reason I could think of someone needing this in 1.875m would be for a 1.875m Soyuz build. Maybe RSS users would benefit from this?

Am I really the only one having issues with the texture of the mianbao module (and ONLY the mianbao), as I mentioned yesterday?

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Ack, sorry, I missed your post.

No, everyone is having that, I'm in the process of revamping the module now - but, it seemed not a huge problem to have an ugly texture lying around for a little while. :)

In a nutshell, it's dimensions won't change. But, one day you will update the pack and this part will be pretty again.

I see what you mean now @Beale about a 1.875m R7 being too large. Very large indeed.

It looks, kind of nice IMO.

Tantares 28.2

- Fixed some part descriptions.

- 0.9375m Ports are now size 1 mating points.

Potentially the tiny "star" engine will receive a boost in thrust soon, trying out a few things.

Edited by Beale

About the Black Prince, I don't know where it goes. TantaresLV is obvious, but an obscure British concept rocket from the 1970s? Mmmm...

I might just hide it in a 16x16 button on the front page :wink:

oh please make it an official TantaresLV launcher I can see myself making a nice atlas analog with that bare metal texture job.

speaking of me making stuff did you decided whether or not you were gonna revamp the ATV textures? cause I'm still sitting on those CARV files waiting for re entry heat to actually matter which may very well happen in the next two weeks.

oh please make it an official TantaresLV launcher I can see myself making a nice atlas analog with that bare metal texture job.

speaking of me making stuff did you decided whether or not you were gonna revamp the ATV textures? cause I'm still sitting on those CARV files waiting for re entry heat to actually matter which may very well happen in the next two weeks.

Perhaps that is where it will go... hmmm... :)

91be1edbd5.jpg

c773d73817.jpg

0052db6e44.jpg

I still intend completely to revamp the ATV, but the question is when.

I could revamp attempt without altering the UV map - really just a new texture. It only needs a small cleanup.

The TweakScale config for Tantares LV has now been written up, and moderately tested. The scaling rules are fairly strict.

Proton and Ariane only can scale up from 2.5m to 3.75m (Poincon SRBS and nosecones can free scale a bit)

Antares can scale from 1.25m to 1.875m to 2.5m. This allows Cygnus (Cygnii?) of larger sizes for those of you who have wanted a larger Cygnus.

Soyuz/R7 can scale from 1.25m to 1.875m. This is for anyone using RSS, or for anyone who wants to try a Soyuz in 1.875m. [i decided not to let the LES tower scale above 0.9375m for... Reasons. Enter, the "Tavio GET-TF-00T"

V-2 Rocket has no scaling factors as to not screw up early career progression. The lines are in the config, just commented out. Remove them yourself to scale the V-2.

N-1 Moon Rocket No scaling factors. I'm scared. Didn't even write the config for it.

Grab the config in my signature.

The next version of the craft files will contain the Progress vehicles, as I removed them temporarily. By the way @Beale, you should include addition of the Progress OM's in the 28.2 change log. I noticed on the Hamal decent block, there's a bit of a texture inconsistency which you may or may not be aware of. Are the descent block and the control block getting revamps too?

Also, @Beale, here are some places where adapters for the 0.9375m docking ports could come in handy. I can understand why people are finding them awkward to work with.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Gemini 4 Preview

A09a6Gp.jpg

I suppose I should mention that the craft used Tweakscale extensively. Yes, the LV-T45s at the bottom have been rescaled slightly. I haven't flight tested the craft yet, but MechJeb says that it has a 1.32 TWR at liftoff. The Service Tower's gantry arms are operated by IR hinges so they swing up and away from the rocket before launch.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
A bit of explanation was in order

on the subject of gaps when mating 0.9m parts to 1.25m parts wouldn't it be better too just make the depression on 1.25m parts narrower rather than adding yet another adapter? At this rate we have more 0.9m size adapters than we do functioning parts

Also, @Beale, here are some places where adapters for the 0.9375m docking ports could come in handy. I can understand why people are finding them awkward to work with. http://imgur.com/a/E5OKI

Nice tweakscale stuff!

Actually, the progress DM model needs a re-export, yes I tweaked the UV map to make the blanket texture universal around the body. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll be fixing that shortly.

5229c378e7.jpg

Good examples of where the new size is falling short... I'll see into it.

on the subject of gaps when mating 0.9m parts to 1.25m parts wouldn't it be better too just make the depression on 1.25m parts narrower rather than adding yet another adapter? At this rate we have more 0.9m size adapters than we do functioning parts

Fair point, but that's a lot of stuff to change.

Can not most of the awkwardness be cleaned with the offset tool? I'll take a look what can be done.

Don't know what colour hydrogen peroxide is supposed to burn.

Obscenely overpowered.

450d816158.jpg

"Prospero" in Orbit

85903e82b4.jpg

Valar Kerbulis.

Valar Kerhaeris :wink:

Gemini 4 Preview

http://i.imgur.com/A09a6Gp.jpg

I suppose I should mention that the craft used Tweakscale extensively. Yes, the LV-T45s at the bottom have been rescaled slightly. I haven't flight tested the craft yet, but MechJeb says that it has a 1.32 TWR at liftoff. The Service Tower's gantry arms are operated by IR hinges so they swing up and away from the rocket before launch.

Very nice launch thing! I want to recreate this.

I had trouble trying to build this kind of rocket myself, yeah the LV-T range is too weak for a Titan II

Edited by Beale

The trouble with that is Beale can only change his own parts. What if we want to use the docking ports with otherwise stock craft? Or craft made with a different mod that conforms to the 1.25 standard?

The trouble with that is Beale can only change his own parts. What if we want to use the docking ports with otherwise stock craft? Or craft made with a different mod that conforms to the 1.25 standard?

Good point. Adapters sounds like the better option here.

Currently, we only have two adapters. The TKS capsule adapter, which just continues the shape to 0.625m nicely, keeping the same slope. It's really useful. The other is the 1.25m - 0.9375m adapter which is general purpose, but not very useful overall. Personally, if we're looking for part clutter to trim, the least used parts for me at least, are the TKS 1.25m - 0.625m docking nodes which have always looked a bit off to me, and the flat TKS "ribbed" adapters (A and B) that look like the stock ones, which I don't really care for. I like the smooth look of Beale's other adapters. The PP+ could possibly go as well now that we have the APAS ports, though I'd miss the chute capability, even though it makes no logical sense. :P Other than that, I don't really fret about clutter too much. It's RAM I worry about, and Beale is aces at keeping that to a minimum. I think you're on to something with changing the ends of the modules to be more conducive to clipping, and attaching off sizes.

Nice tweakscale stuff!

Actually, the progress DM model needs a re-export, yes I tweaked the UV map to make the blanket texture universal around the body. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll be fixing that shortly.

http://puu.sh/iboXn/5229c378e7.jpg

Good examples of where the new size is falling short... I'll see into it.

Fair point, but that's a lot of stuff to change.

Can not most of the awkwardness be cleaned with the offset tool? I'll take a look what can be done.

He has some valid points. Even with TweakScale and liberal clipping, I still struggle to get things just right sometimes. It's either adapters, or major model alterations... I don't envy you. :P

Thanks!

You sneaky! Missed the ATV OMS fairing you snuck in there... Looks nifty. Have any working title "Bealified" names for the Black Prince yet?

Blue Streak used kerolox while Black Arrow & Black Knight used kerosene/HTP which if I remember right burned nearly transparent.

Ah!

Thank you for the info, looks like I mis-read the fuels that were used. I'll have to work on some custom FX for these rocket.

Transparent exhaust is difficult, but do-able (I'm thinking similar in design to your own FX found on the RLA electric engines).

He has some valid points. Even with TweakScale and liberal clipping, I still struggle to get things just right sometimes. It's either adapters, or major model alterations... I don't envy you. :P

Thanks!

You sneaky! Missed the ATV OMS fairing you snuck in there... Looks nifty. Have any working title "Bealified" names for the Black Prince yet?

Thanks, unfortunately the ATV fairing will have to wait a little while, due to an animation bug.

Names, names...

I've been calling the files "nero", or NLV. I'll give it some thought before they are released :)

Balanced against stock:

Works nice! You cannot have so much payload, but good satellite launcher.

966057306a.jpg

899de18a9c.jpg

Edited by Beale

Ah!

Thank you for the info, looks like I mis-read the fuels that were used. I'll have to work on some custom FX for these rocket.

Transparent exhaust is difficult, but do-able (I'm thinking similar in design to your own FX found on the RLA electric engines).

Thanks, unfortunately the ATV fairing will have to wait a little while, due to an animation bug.

Names, names...

I've been calling the files "nero", or NLV. I'll give it some thought before they are released :)

Somewhat related, how does the volume of a cylinder increase, as the diameter increases.

Is there a simple formula, say if I make the diameter of the cylinder 150%?

This is probably a very basic mathematics question, I apologise.

Basically, the higher the ratio between the diameter and the height, the greater the volume will increase when you scale it up. For example, if you had a 1.25m diameter tank that was 4m high, it would have a volume of roughly 4.9m^3 If I increased the diameter by 150%, I would similarly have to increase the height by 150% to keep it proportioned. So my cylinder would now be 1.875m by 6m. The volume of that cylinder is now 16.567m^3. If I make a ratio, and multiply by 100%, I get a volume percent increase of 338%, not 150%. It is definitely not linear.

If I increase the ratio of diameter to height, that percentage of change in volume with scaling increases. Basically, the more different the height and the width, the more drastic the change in volume. It's weird. It's intuitive for some people, and not for others. I really had to think about it for a minute actually. Apparently, TweakScale does this for you by default, though you can Tweak TweakScale to scale things differently, like generators, resources, lift surfaces, etc.

I don't know if this is solved, but whenever I try to extend the Soyuz's satellite dish, it wouldn't extend (in VAB).

I did it manually (outside VAB) and the option isn't there, so I don't know if it is a plugin interfering with it or something else is happening.

Edited by WDZOrangeJuice

Am I really the only one having issues with the texture of the mianbao module (and ONLY the mianbao), as I mentioned yesterday?

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Edit: No you're not. Just installed 28.2 and the Mianbao is having some texture issues for me too. No other parts seem to be affected.

Edited by Captain Planet

Disclaimer: this went off the rails a bit from when I started typing. Sorry Beale/all the readers, hope it's legible!

Cylinders are easy: they're stacked circles. :D so, area of a circle times height. Pi * r^2 * h, where pi is... Er... Pi, r is your radius, (or, diameter over 2: r = d/2) and h is the height of the cylinder. Soooooo, a 50% increase in diameter... Hrm.

d=2r. 2d=4r. 1.5d=3r. If h=1... Diameter of 1 meter, height of 1 meter gives a cylinder of... .5^2 * pi... 0.78 m^3. Diameter of 1.5 meter gives... 0.75 * pi ... 1.76 m^3.

Hmm. The relationship escapes me, despite the simple equation. volume goes up as the square of the diameter? I think that is what is going on here.

Not so simple math question! Simple to calculate though, albeit tough to estimate easily ( at least for me >< ).

If Someone is more gifted at arithmetic than I, please feel free to bail me out here! (Also, it's 12:30 am, so that might be part of it too :P )

Edit: right, 1.76/.75 = 2.25 = 1.5^2, so yes, volume goes as the square of the diameter. Well. Radius/2. Gahhhhh-----

Edited by komodo