[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Resize all 8K textures to 4K (eg. a maximum width/length of 4096 -- Paint.NET makes for a good free photo editing program if you're on Windows).

I should have added I am using the 64 bit version of Linux, if that makes any difference. I'll give it a shot.

The version you're trying to get working probably isn't compatible with it, I can't imagine it's a memory crash with linux 64. I have a dev release I'm still working on for 0.25 available on my github (link in OP) you can try, although there are still some issues present, and no proper support for the other planets yet. sorry

Edited by pingopete

Wow. Quite impressive. Really looking forward to even more improvements. Your mod really made RSS look top-notch. Orbiter never even resembled anything remotely close to that. :)

I guess RVE doesn't work with the latest version of RSS? I installed RVE as Dale Gribble suggests, overwriting when relevant, but the game crashed on starting up.

It doesn't work for me with the newest RSS. I had planetary bodies showing up as white spheres on the main screen & in map view, & I actually had an out of memory red error show up just when loading in the f2 log. (only using 4k textures, not even running real fuels or any other mods to increase memory usage besides just RSS and RSS-VE) That was on a a Win install, not linux also so it's not just linux issues.

An update on some features currently being/now included in RVE for 0.25 alpha:

Yes! Very nice! I really like how you're making improvements with the previously not so good looking 20-120 km range. Makes me wanna build U2's and X-15's again. :)

Edit: Man that new smooth horizon and the last pic of the moon, holy cow that's pretty.

Edited by ThorBeorn

Yargnit: white/red textures are symptomatic of being out of *video* memory (vs. system memory). That, not even 64bit can fix, alas.

I've got a 4GB video card Nathan, so I doubt that unless everyone who's tried the RSS-VE has gotten that.

Then I really don't know. That's weird. It's what people on Macs get when they try to use 8192 textures, and it's what I got trying RVE on my 2GB card before I reduced the city textures, so I figured that's what it is. Check in your output_log.txt and see if there's references to d3d failing to create a given texture.

pingopete: pull request sent! :)

Yargnit: white/red textures are symptomatic of being out of *video* memory (vs. system memory). That, not even 64bit can fix, alas.

Out of vRam? I don't have those exact issues, the Earth's atmo also looks odd and I still get "out of memory" errors in the debug log even if I am not out of system Ram. Running a GTX 780 3 GB card by the way. Still too measly on the vRam?

I'll have to watch the numbers next time I boot up the game and see what happens. I've only been running RSS 8.2.1 4k textures for Earth and 2k for everything else, and RVE with 8k textures scaled down to 4k as I've been trying to get everything to work somewhat "smoothly". Probably upload some pictures of what I've got going on soon.

EDIT: Probably shouldn't be trying to mess with it right now while it appears you guys are messing with the master in github but the atmosphere appears to be working again but no clouds... Yeah, probably should call it a night and mess with it tomorrow.

Edited by ReventonHawx

I've got a 4GB video card Nathan, so I doubt that unless everyone who's tried the RSS-VE has gotten that.

I think it's more to do with the amount the game can handle, I also have a 4gb grafix card, I could run all my textures 8k on ksp 0.24.2 x64, attempting to run the exact same set of textures on ksp 0.25 gave the red/white globe you speak of.

What RVE version are you trying to use with the latest RSS? The only RVE version designed for RSS 8.2.1+ is the one on my GitHub repo, and that's more of a project start than a stable release.

Correct EVE Dll versions? removed all uneccessary/redundant textures from the boulderCo folder?

Try ATM

I remember someone else running out of VRAM in the RSS thread when he was using direct x. He then fixed it by switching to OpenGL. I can't find a definitive answer online, but maybe directx 9 can only use so much VRAM (AFAIK it's kind of old for software...)

I seem to have fixed the red/white city textures by converting them to DDS (and using Sarbian's DDS loader). That PR was emrged.

Indeed you have! thanks :)

Btw just tried the updated RVE config, Use Spherical SSMesh now works, and so does the AFG node, but the camera distances don't seem to be doing anything?

Thanks again for help! :)

Will it consume significantly more ram then EVE?

Simple answer, yes it will, but RSS itself uses more RAM than stock KSP I believe (higher textures than stock). I believe they are working on getting the memory footprint down in the .25 version though. People want to use SOME mods with their game :P

I probably shouldn't worry too much about it right now but I can't seem to get the .25 version in github working. It appears the atmosphere shaders are there but Kerbin's textures don't change to Earth's and no clouds show up. Am I missing something or should I just not mess with right now?

I'm obviously doing this wrong...

I have tried three times now, and each time I got better results by correcting a mistake I noticed I had made with versions, adding EVE when I don't need to, textures, etc. (The Step1, Step2, Step3 guide is a little too freeform right now.) However, it's still not correct. Is the "white planet, too many clouds" a common enough mistake that there's an easy answer for what I did?

These are my steps this most recent time:

0) Remove any existing BoulderCo, EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, RealSolarSystem directories entirely (also no ATM installed, but I do have TextureReplacer)

1) Install RealSolarSystem_v8.2.1

2) Install 2048 textures (the 4k were crashing)

3) Install RVE 0.2.2

4) Install 0.2.2 Colour Fix

5) Install extra main.png from RSS thread

6) Go to pad, notice sky is large white spheres, try switching to map view, notice planet is all white, switch back to pad, notice white spheres are now gone but sky is all clouds, press 'P' 3 times and then 2 more times for no noticeable effect

7) take screen shots, launch, take another screen shot, post results (been trying various changes for 90 minutes now)

z8KO0AD.png

Edited by Felbourn

@Felbourn I've had plenty of those issues myself and I believe I have narrowed it down to something related to RAM and/or vRAM. If you watch the debug log as things load, you'll notice it'll fail to load some cloud textures after it claims its out of memory. I pretty much gave up on making version 0.2.2 work in .25 once I saw that a version for .25 was in the works. I've messed around with their early builds but haven't gotten it to work without something not loading or it throwing 'NullReferenceException's at me.

You can mess around with the early .25 build in the GitHub if you wish and tell us what you figure out.

0.2.2 was made to work with RSS 7.3/7.4, these glitches are because you're trying to run the wrong RSS with it, If you wish to get your hand on something more tangible I suggest you try the 0.25 project on my GitHub, but as Reventon said, it is unfinished and isn't stable yet.. sorry.

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.