Kerman's Law

Red Iron Crown

I propose the following variation of Murphy's Law:

Kerman's Law:

Any attempt to improve a working spacecraft will result in it not working as well or at all.

Example:

I made a super heavy lifter for my Jool-5 attempt that could put over 600t into LKO. It worked, but the booster stages flexed enough as they neared empty that the ship would start to roll at an alarming rate. So I went back to the VAB and added moar struts. Result: The boosters no longer cleanly separate and hit the ship when staged.

Have you been a victim of Kerman's Law?

Edit: This thread went in a different direction than I expected, now it's more about posting KSP-specific variations of Murphy's Law. Share your Kerman's Laws!

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Add boosters to your boosters for clean separation.

That's what I ended up doing, a few sepatrons did the trick.

But!

The first iteration of the sepatron-assisted separation experienced damage from the exhausts of the poorly placed separation motors. More Kerman's Law!

Edited by Red Iron Crown

The first iteration of the sepatron-assisted separation experienced damage from the exhausts of the poorly placed separation motors. More Kerman's Law!

Don't blame Kerman for your lack of attention to detail!

E: That gives me an idea for a Kerman's Law:

Any given landing attempt will be stymied by hatch obstruction.

Edited by regex

\_____THE KERMAN LAWS_____/

1st LAW:

Any first attemp of launching an SSTO will result in the atmospheric reentry from a suborbital flight of the vessel.

2nd LAW:

Any attempt to improve a working spacecraft will result in it not working as well or at all.

3rd LAW:

standard rocket design: Tm= Pl + Rk + Nb

Kerman rocket design: Tm = Pl + Nb² + 0.5*Rk

Tm is the Total Mass, Pl the payload, Rk the size of the rocket and Nb the number of boosters.

4th LAW:

If it can't get to space, more boosters.

5th LAW:

A spaceship with at least one Kerbal in it has infinite fuel, using the EVA pack that is refuel when you go back to the spacecraft.

6th LAW:

Jebediah Kerman is the only Kerbal allowed to go on Mün before anyone if he wants.

7th LAW:

When you build your first stock space station in Kerbin orbit you'll figure out that you've already done all the science in space over Kerbin.

Edited by Cochonrambo31

In an attempt to paraphrase original Murphy's Laws, I'd put it this way:

• Any ship that can crash will crash
  • If it can crash multiple ways, it will crash the most spectacular way
  • If the ship cannot crash, it will crash anyway
  • If you are aware of four (N) ways your ship can crash and make arrangements to prevent it crashing all these ways, it will crash fifth (N+1) way
  • Ships on rails tend to develop new ways of being able to crash
  • If it looks like you're flying fine, you just didn't notice you already crashed
  • KSP always finds hidden flaw in your ship design
  • KSP is ruled by Kraken

Wherever you land the ground will not be level, but if by some chance the ground is level you will bounce.

No bounce on level ground will result on with an upright spaceship.

All docking approaches will be from the wrong end

All docking approaches that are lined up will drift in to the shadow of the planet

If the docking goes smoothly the docking port is missing or installed backwards

If a launch is going perfectly your staging it out of order

If your staging is in order you will hit space bar by accident.

After all that, if you are still alive, you will not be able to complete the mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.