[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Not sure what i did wrong, but i got a pretty hard time building my first communication network in realism overhaul. I sent up 6 satellites in one launch, each with some RCS to navigate, 2 Omni Antennas (one DP-10 and one Communotron 16) and one (inactive) directional DTS-M1. They are all in the almost same orbit, their orbital period is 2h52min57sec milliseconds ranging between 117 and 350, so from my understanding, every ~2h53mins each one should again be at the exact same position as before.

Network looked good and worked, but after only 20 days they where all a lot closer together, only covering half of earth now. From what i thought, their relative positions should only differ by ~250ms every ~3hours, so roughly 2 seconds per day, or 40 seconds in the time period of 20 days i left them alone, not even close enough to make any visible difference.

I sent them all at once into a zero eccentricity orbit of 3950km Ap, decoupled one, raises Ap by 2000km, lowered again at Pe to zero eccentricity, decoupled the next one and so on. Any idea what i might have done wrong or why they get so quickly out of their relative positions ?

And another question, how does communication range with realism overhaul work ? DTS-M1 should have 400Mm range according to tooltip, i guess that is million meters. Moon orbits at ~385 million meters, which should be within the range of the DTS-M1, but i could only contact satellites in earths orbit while i was around half the way to the moon. I couldn't get a connection then until i was on the flight back. Or do the satellites need too to actively target the ship at moon with their dish antenna ?

Edited by thyriel

Hi, I have a problem with remotetech and AIES probes, and my problem is that after fully configuring an atmospheric landing (wich is difficult to me as is my first play with this mod) of a probe and closing antenna for survive re-entry its says Im on "local command", and I can control the vessel with no problem.

Could you help me or telling what I have to dou? something better than not touching the keyboard until antena is deployed? :(

Thank you, this is an awesome mod.

(please forgive my bad writing, I'm not english)

Hi, I have a problem with remotetech and AIES probes... It says Im on "local command", and I can control the vessel with no problem...

AIES probe cores and antennae are not implementing RemoteTech by default IIRC. AIES probe cores act as a valid command part (just like a manned pod) enabling local control, even when out of contact (which you would be if only using AIES antennae, since the stock antenna module cannot work as a RemoteTech antenna). MeCripp posted a config file to make AIES parts use RemoteTech modules about a month ago. You can see it here.

Been away from KSP for a little while and just starting a new hardcore playthrough so obviously I'm using RT. When I was around last I'm sure there was mention of new features including dish groups (Point at the group and connect to any that you can) and connection lists (Attempt to connect to dish 1, if its out of communication try dish 2 etc). Would love to find out what happened to these ideas, as tbh seems that RT plays exactly the same as when I was around last (Which is still great!) though I can tell theres been a lot of bugfixing going on.

Been away from KSP for a little while and just starting a new hardcore playthrough so obviously I'm using RT. When I was around last I'm sure there was mention of new features including dish groups (Point at the group and connect to any that you can) and connection lists (Attempt to connect to dish 1, if its out of communication try dish 2 etc). Would love to find out what happened to these ideas, as tbh seems that RT plays exactly the same as when I was around last (Which is still great!) though I can tell theres been a lot of bugfixing going on.

that would be a nice feature, but haven't played KSP since 0.25 came out because of school. Tomorrow last day :D

Just wondering if anybody here knows why LLL antennas break in atmo while under RT2+FAR (they didnt do that in older versions of RT2 or possibly older versions of FAR).

And no, they are not activated.

Here is a sample cfg for one of the problematic antennas:

PART
{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

// --- general parameters ---
name = LLLCommPole
module = Part
author = Lack

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = LLL/Models/Science/64
}
rescaleFactor = 1
scale = 1

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = advElectrics
entryCost = 0
cost = 1200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Communotron 64
manufacturer = Lack Luster Labs
description =

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.02
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.05
minimum_drag = 0.05
angularDrag = 0
crashTolerance = 4
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 3400

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.5
packetSize = 4

packetResourceCost = 25.0
requiredResource = ElectricCharge

DeployFxModules = 0
}

}

And here is the MM cfg i use to make it compatible:

@PART[LLLCommPole]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
allowManualControl = false
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 5000000
MaxQ = 3000
EnergyCost = 0.38

DeployFxModules = 0

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive
}
}

Edited by Vrana

Just wondering if anybody here knows why LLL antennas break in atmo while under RT2+FAR (they didnt do that in older versions of RT2 or possibly older versions of FAR).

And no, they are not activated.

Here is a sample cfg for one of the problematic antennas:

PART
{
// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

// --- general parameters ---
name = LLLCommPole
module = Part
author = Lack

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = LLL/Models/Science/64
}
rescaleFactor = 1
scale = 1

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = advElectrics
entryCost = 0
cost = 1200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Communotron 64
manufacturer = Lack Luster Labs
description =

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.02
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.05
minimum_drag = 0.05
angularDrag = 0
crashTolerance = 4
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 3400

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.5
packetSize = 4

packetResourceCost = 25.0
requiredResource = ElectricCharge

DeployFxModules = 0
}

}

And here is the MM cfg i use to make compatible:

@PART[LLLCommPole]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
allowManualControl = false
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 5000000
MaxQ = 3000
EnergyCost = 0.38

DeployFxModules = 0

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
}
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPUPassive
}
}

Try taking out the line MaxQ = *

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 0
Mode1OmniRange = 5000000
[COLOR="#FF0000"]MaxQ = 3000[/COLOR] <------------- Delete this line
EnergyCost = 0.38

DeployFxModules = 0

TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.3
PacketSize = 2
}
}

Hello guys

First of all, thanks for this great mod! I've been playing KSP for almost two weeks, and have started installing a few mods in the past few days, just to add some more fun to my career. Getting the entire tech tree completed on normal, just by exploring space around Kerbin, some admin policies and a few orbital science projects of Mun kinda make it boring :P

I installed Remotetech earlier, getting ready to start a sattelite network, but then I realized; I've got two unmanned probes currently in Space. One of them is on a very long trip through the system with just the small DTS-M1 antenna. I understand it'll go out of range soon, no contact possible etc, no problem.

My unmanned probe orbiting Mun however, comes with a Communotron 88-88. But it's folded up. With RT installed though, I can't open the antenna as I have no connection. I tried uninstalling RT, sending through some science and saving/closing the game while the antenna was sending data, but after starting the game, with RT again, the antenna was closed again.

Is there a way to manually open the antenna in the files? I checked the persistence.sfs, and did find an entry for my probe and the antenna, but I have no clue what setting gets the state to be opened.

Thanks in advance!

You will still be out of range.

The DTS-1 has a range of 50.000.000 meter (50 mm), Mun orbits Kerbin at 12.000.000, so that shouldn't be a problem? (I'll leave the line of sight problem out for now, as I'm working on getting a few sats up on synchronous orbit.

There may be, but a Kerbal on EVA can deploy the antennae - would be the easiest thing to do.

Glad I've decided to haul my entire space station over there then!

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know a good tech tree mod to compliment RT2? BTSM is not compatible if their thread is correct (wont stop me trying though :P)

I don't know if it's good with RT2, but I am using the T-7 tree with RT2, and it does work. I am playing Hard Mode with RT2, TACLS, KCT, FAR, and DR. Sometimes it seems like I am struggling to earn science, but probably part of that is losing an unmanned capsule, stuffed with science from multiple Mun landings, due to loss of signal during Kerbin Reentry.

Oh, and switching to the root range model made things both more complicated and more fun (and saved a probe :wink:).

Any chance anyone knows where in the code I might look to change things so I can open and target my antennae without a connection? I'm willing to do the gruntwork myself, but MM configs don't seem to work.

Edit: I found the event whitelist; now I just need to know what the antenna activation and aiming events are.

Edited by Jovus

I`m sure this must have been mentioned many times but is there any chance of some ingame settings?

I`m specifically thinking of one to allow RT to be turned off for particular saves. Often I want to test out a craft made by someone else on the forum and hardly ever do they work well with RT and so I`d like to make a save (not a full install) where RT was turned off to allow me to just fly craft with no comms network. Other settings would be good too but for me that is the main one.

Is this something that might happen?

I`m sure this must have been mentioned many times but is there any chance of some ingame settings?

I`m specifically thinking of one to allow RT to be turned off for particular saves. Often I want to test out a craft made by someone else on the forum and hardly ever do they work well with RT and so I`d like to make a save (not a full install) where RT was turned off to allow me to just fly craft with no comms network. Other settings would be good too but for me that is the main one.

Is this something that might happen?

There is a mod that does that never try'ed it and not sure what the name was but side note just compress the plugin when you don't want it to run and uncompress when you do it's that easy hope it helps.

I sent a vessel to orbit around Kerbin, it has Lander Can with 2 kerbals, Hitchhiker container with 4 more kerbals, and a remote guidance unit with remote command post capability. How do I know if this ship HAS remote control capability? Is it displayed somewhere?

I sent a vessel to orbit around Kerbin, it has Lander Can with 2 kerbals, Hitchhiker container with 4 more kerbals, and a remote guidance unit with remote command post capability. How do I know if this ship HAS remote control capability? Is it displayed somewhere?

In map view there will be a red dot on your craft.