[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I've been refreshing this thread for quite a while over the past two days. Its the last mod that I need to start my career game. I think I'm willing to risk a release candidate at this point! :-)

Depending on your level of adventurousness you can try development build direct from the RT git

Level of risk unknown, could be full of bees, YMMV etc

It actually might be interesting to have a more powerful Comms relay on Kerbin... because LOS would still apply. So, you could use stuff without setting up the full relay system first, but your connection would be very spotty - you'd have to plan around blackouts.<br><br>I think if RT has one weakness, (apart from not also being a wireless power transmission mod :P ) it's that it doesn't really have blackouts be something you ever really work around. I always find that either I haven't set something up (in which case I don't go) or I've set something up (and have no blackouts).

One way to handle that would be to upgrade the comm relay at KSC when you upgrade the tracking station. For Level 1 you get geosync or thereabouts. For Level 2 you get Kerbin SOI (rounded up). For Level 3 you get the universe. Those generally correspond to when you upgrade your dishes to about those levels anyway.

Don’t mistake my intention RemoteTech is the best mod there is and really makes KSP.

1. -
  2. Sending and receiving.
    This is my Major point, of course receiving information requires a connection, but it shouldn’t be that difficult to receive info. Transmitting on the other hand should require a much stronger dish. RT tries this a little with transmitting power but this only applies to science.
    I would love to see the Sending and receiving max range split up. This allows for a lot more specific antenna usages.
    Like:

• Omni’s only can receive info they can’t send info. This means u can control the prope but not use it as a relay. (or really nerve relay connection)
  • Dishes can receive info in a Omni direction (can nerve Omni receiving distance, in favour of also having a omni anntena), but can only send/relay in cone connection (and/or buff receiving in cone connection)
    This would allow for a difference In relay purpose antenna’s /satellite and end stage antenna’s /satellite also it fixes lost connection because it’s the facing wrong target since all receiving info is in a Omni direction.

Additional realism might be a little more complex. In real world comm systems maintaining a connection is a function of a number of factors:

1. receive sensitivity

2. transmit power

3. gain of both antennas in the direction towards each other

4. the distance

5. background noise picked up by the receive antenna (from the sun mainly)

6. polarization

Modeling this realistically would probably mean a major overhaul of the add on code (haven't looked at it so please don't quote me on this). Making it more complex -- communication links don't just shut down as these factors become less favorable; what happens is the available data rate diminishes until it is effectively unusable. I think the compromise of just requiring both antennas to have a max range less that the distance between nodes is a good one and makes for interesting challenges when designing the satellite network. More realism might actually make it less fun in this case, this is a space flight sim after all rather than an RF comms sim.

Cheers.

Someone soma pages back asked your question number 1 and the answer was that the reason why the ksc has such a crappy antenna is to make players build a comms network
Not really, no. The KSC could have an infinite-range antenna, and it still wouldn't be able to talk to a satellite half the time. Indeed, it's trivial to work around the KSC range limitation by the time it's an issue - park a craft next to the KSC with a few of your best antennae and a stack of solar panels and batteries. I really like the automatic-search idea mooted in the thread, perhaps with a Flight Computer setting to "start automatic comms search after X minutes". In my view, the difficulty in RemoteTech should be dealing with the comms lag and the actual restrictions of dish range and arc - not constantly sawing off the branch you're standing on.

how about answering the dam question instead of being so arrogant?

is typing the word "NO" so much harder than the word "read"

I agree. Don't turn this into the League of Legends forum.

Many times when you read back, something follows a chain of events or issues. Where a message might say that "it works in 1.0," many times, it is referring to another mod being discussed or an aspect of the mod itself working but not the entire mod.

It is often appropriate to ask this question, especially in the kind manner he did. It is never appropriate to be childish.

____

Typing "No" would've actually been two letters easier.

And your fighting stance counter remark to him only solidifies these arguments.

Please do not turn these forums into something most of us do not want.

Edited by Friend Bear

I downloaded the thing from git (as was posted on the previous page), and I could send back data on my first career mission after I had unlocked the first antenna. So the very basics seem to work fine, at least. I have yet to launch a satellite tho.

Edit: is a science transfer where you use a satellite as an intermediate? I could send back a crew report from my mission in space just above the KSC through the antenna.

Edited by Flayer

I downloaded the thing from git (as was posted on the previous page), and I could send back data on my first career mission after I had unlocked the first antenna. So the very basics seem to work fine, at least.

I think I remember reading issues with science transfer the other day. How was that? And maybe it is issues with this mod's specific antenna.

Not really, no.

that's your opinion of how the mod should work and it's fine but my answer was not about "what it should be" but about "what it is"

the mooders decided to make it work with a 75Mm antenna (as explained in the manual) and that's my answer.

I remember having read somewhere (either in this thread or in the manual) that the reason why KSC has such a short antenna is to make people use satellites more.

If you want a more powerful antenna you can change the RemoteTech_config.cfg in order to get higher range.

There was also a proposal for a mod adding 2 more KSCs to have an analogue of the NASA-DSN for kerbin. But idk what happened to that.

Well, there is also an other solution if you don't want to mod the .dlls

You can make a few satellite dishes on wheels, place them around the KSC and point them at the various planetary bodies. They would obviously require LOS with the KSC, but this is a problem that would exist even with boosted range on the KSC's antenna.

I'm sure the devs are looking forward to your pull request

It would just be using code that they currently use except the user currently selects the target. It would not be hard at all.

Thanks for the snarky response though, it makes me think more of you as a person...

Don’t mistake my intention RemoteTech is the best mod there is and really makes KSP.

But I’m finding some things a little strange, and would like to have some light shine on by the developers and/or player. But first of all the my opinion of the latest discussion, propes out of range are lost. as of facing the wrong target, well read what i miss in RT. I won’t elaborate why in prospect of reading time

1. kerbal has only 1 space centre (unless to powerful mod), But only 1 coms dish array who’s power doesn’t get stronger with upgrading?
    I find it strange that the KSC has a fixed coms range I really miss the opportunity to buy/build (for other celestial bodies) ground connected coms dish arrays. That also can be ranged upgraded to increase range. (having a small prope sitting next to your TS who is stronger than the TS is really strange!)
  2. Sending and receiving.
    This is my Major point, of course receiving information requires a connection, but it shouldn’t be that difficult to receive info. Transmitting on the other hand should require a much stronger dish. RT tries this a little with transmitting power but this only applies to science.
    I would love to see the Sending and receiving max range split up. This allows for a lot more specific antenna usages.
    Like:

• Omni’s only can receive info they can’t send info. This means u can control the prope but not use it as a relay. (or really nerve relay connection)
  • Dishes can receive info in a Omni direction (can nerve Omni receiving distance, in favour of also having a omni anntena), but can only send/relay in cone connection (and/or buff receiving in cone connection)
    This would allow for a difference In relay purpose antenna’s /satellite and end stage antenna’s /satellite also it fixes lost connection because it’s the facing wrong target since all receiving info is in a Omni direction.

plz shine your light if this is possible, and or a good idea. Or what it needs to become a good idea.

Thx Heineken

Why?:

I hated that my comms array needed receiving and sending antenna’s , 1 facing the relay, and 1 facing the relayed, and then one for the target.

Instead I would like to have 1 transmitting comms satellite in high orbit with strong dish, with a couple in receiving in low for covering the dark side of planet without having each low comms needing big dish antenna for contact with the high comms.

1. asked and answered

2. We could make one way communication possible. It would likely be combined with blacking out your screen so you could not see what was going on with your craft. because everyone would hate that i think we would stay with synchronized rx/tx

Hopefully a 1.0 release will arrive soon. Really want to use Remote tech when I start using probes! Yes, I see that some report the dev build is working in 1.0, but I'll wait for now. Still doing local science on Kerbin, Mun, Minmus.

~Steve

If I install RemoteTech to use in a existing save game, and have no active crafts, will there be any problems ? Or do I need to start a new save for RemoteTech (or any other mod for that matter) ?

Anyways, I tried the dev build and it seems it doesn't work with the career mode. When i start a sandbox game the parts are there, but when I try career mode, the parts aren't in the tech tree.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I tried fidling around in the configs, but im no leet hacker :P

If I install RemoteTech to use in a existing save game, and have no active crafts, will there be any problems ? Or do I need to start a new save for RemoteTech (or any other mod for that matter) ?

There should be no problem. But the last stable release was updated for 0.90 so you may have some problem in 1.0

Using devbuild 323 with KSP 1.0, no issues so far.

well i guess i found a Issue:

I stuck on the Loading Screen with the Module Manager applying patches when i use devbuild 323 + TAC - Life Support + KSP 1.0

Any out there who can confirm this?

Edit:

Nevermind... found the problem: Missing Files of KSP... BIG SORRY :D

Edited by JacktheLucker

I'm running devbuild 323 and TAC life support on 1.0. No issues loading so far. Only thing I've noticed so far is a minor graphical error in the right click menu for unmanned ships. Anything with a toggle button overlays the text when clicked rather than changing it (e.g. getting "activate" and "deactivate" printed over the top of each other).