Age?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Age?

• 7-12
    • 13-18
    • 19-25
    • 26-35
    • 36+

14 here. I either drive people mad with all the SCIENCE talk, have some intelligent chat OR I act like a complete madman :D . I usually try to keep myself normal around people, who are older, than me . But when I get to my friends, I can talk some really wierd stuff at times.

Gotta say it, I know that feel bro.

I'm 43 and I've been playing video games since before 64% of the people in this poll were born. :D Still feel like that 13 year old kid with my first computer which was a Commodor 16. That thing had 16 kbytes of memory, a tape drive and unlike the ZX spectrum it could handle 128 colours. Games were £1.99 which was 2 weeks pocket money, though I once saved up for 8 weeks to afford "Bombjack" which quite frankly was rubbish. You folks complain about long loading times for KSP, try waiting 25 minutes for a game to load from tape only to have it crash because of a glitch. Then you'd have to rewind and do it all again. Yes it wasn't very good but I learned to program on that thing and at the time it was the best thing ever. Even before that I had a space invaders machine that played, you guessed it space invaders and nothing else. That would be about 1980. this was really the beginning of the home computer time. There are games on phones now that we couldn't even have dreamed about playing in an Arcade.

54 here. Ok still 16 mentally lol. first computer was a univac 1100 (ooh it wasn't actually mine, I timeshared it) Strangely enough my iPhone 5 has about the same computing power only it fits in my pocket rather than the entire basement of the computing building. Now... where is that punch card interface mod for setting up manoeuvre nodes?

Hi Wallygator, Wow now that was some serious computer power. I see it wasn't something you could take home with you. LOL from the pictures in Wikipedia it looks about the size of 4 vending machines and then there were the terminals to actually connect to it. I assume you had a green screen? :) i do remember having access to a mainframe at the university which we used to run our power hungry programs that the desktop PC's couldn't handle. First and only online game I ever played was on that mainframe a MUD or "Multi User Dungeon" for all you kids out there, which was a text based RPG great granddad of World of Warcraft. I had many many hours on that when I should have been studying. :D

Hi Agent30632, 10 and playing KSP, wow respect. Mind you most 10 year old kids I know are better at programming the TV than their parents. My Son is 10 and top of his class in Maths but he couldn't get his head around KSP. I might have to try him again. Keep playing KSP and keep studying and one day you could be director at Nasa. :)

aceassasin, it's very probably you are a lot more mature than other 16 year after all you're playing KSP which requires you to think. But I'm afraid hatred of High school is just perfectly normal behaviour for most of us. I hated mine. But don't give up, think of it as a way to do what you really want to do and keep studying as long as you can. The alternative is a crappy job that you hate even more than High school. the trick is to get paid to do what you are passionate about. Unfortunately I only managed to do that for a short time, still I can't complain too much I have a job that gives me half the year off. :-)

aceassasin, it's very probably you are a lot more mature than other 16 year after all you're playing KSP which requires you to think. But I'm afraid hatred of High school is just perfectly normal behaviour for most of us. I hated mine. But don't give up, think of it as a way to do what you really want to do and keep studying as long as you can. The alternative is a crappy job that you hate even more than High school. the trick is to get paid to do what you are passionate about. Unfortunately I only managed to do that for a short time, still I can't complain too much I have a job that gives me half the year off. :-)

I do love high school for getting to go and learn new things (especially math and science), I just hate it for the people that go there with me, like the people who wear snapbacks and won't stop saying things like yolo or swag

aceassasin. I know exactly where you are coming from, I had it exactly the same problem, though a few decades ahead of you so the slang and "cool" clothes have changed. No idea what Snapbacks are. :) I went to 9 different schools because my parents moved around a lot, always having to make new friends and never really fitting in. I was teased and bullied frequently because I was never one of the in crowd. My last High school was in a small no name town in Scotland and The day I left High school I walked out the front gate, gave the finger to the building and let out a whoop of delight. I have met some of the so called cool kids that made my life hell at school and most of them are pretty pathetic now. They have crappy jobs if they have jobs at all, have mundane tedious lives and have never been farther away from home than Ibiza on Holiday. Ignore them and remember that you only have a few years left and then you'll probably never see them again. Study hard, get the grades you need to get to collage and then the world is any damn mollusc that you want. Make sure you travel when you are young, because later it's hard and don't settle down until you are ready. These people that are making your life miserable now are the real losers. You should pity them because I guarantee they have no imagination. What do you want to do when you leave school if you don't mind my asking?

I don't understand why everyone is hating high school. I'm having an absolute blast - most fun I've ever had in school, really. The teachers are great and I've met many amazing people there :)

Unfortunately, it'll end next spring. Then I'm off to university to study engineering - which branch of it, I'm not really sure yet. Maybe aerospace or robotics. Or vehicle engineering. Time will tell.

Oh, and I'm 18.

High school got better for me after about age 16 when everyone began to realise that no, they weren't in fact the coolest people ever to walk the earth, and decided to start treating each other like human beings.

I'm 26, and am feeling pretty old here!

14 here.

Last year, I got my social studies teacher (who's also a pilot of small planes) into KSP. He doesn't play much, though.... Probably because he's a teacher.

Hey, I teach thermodynamics and material science to college students, and I've still logged more hours than I care to count in KSP!

I loved high school more than any other phase of school. Some of the best years of my life. I learned to stop focusing on the people who didn't like me and start focusing on the people who did. I came out of my shell, started dating, I was out every weekend and most weeknights as well. My grades plummeted, but I still passed everything, and grades matter a lot less than people think they do.

Funny, I went back to my 20-year reunion and discovered that the "cool" kids turned out to be, well, mostly nice people. Sure, there were some who just couldn't let it go, and there were some who were complete train wrecks. But most of them were down-to-earth folks with jobs and families just like me. We all had some drinks, and shared some memories, and laughed about how stupid we all were back then. It was fun. I had some friends who refused to go because they still held grudges about all the nonsense that went on in school, and that just seemed silly to me. Why let stuff that went on twenty years ago still run your life? Doesn't hurt anyone but you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.