1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

1 hour ago, ebrhahaman said:

lol when will it be out for 1.2 :P (please don't slap me with a wet fish I'm just a boy D:)

First of all, don't ask for updates.

Second, how do we know you are a boy? Seriously dude...

I started working on updating the KerbalFoundries plugin code to compile for KSP 1.2.  Fixing the compile errors wasn't too hard.  Sadly I'm completely lost after that as to where to begin integrating the new KSPWheelCollider stuff.  The existing KF code leans so heavily on the Unity 'WheelCollider' class that it will take a very long time to refactor it to work with the new collider system.  I was hoping to get it mostly working, but alas, that will have to wait for Lo-fi to return.  But perhaps the below images will give a bit of extra motivation when he does.

So, to start, THIS IS NOT USING THE KERBAL-FOUNDRIES PLUGIN, AND THESE DO NOT IMPLY THAT KF IS USABLE OR EVEN ANYWHERE CLOSE.    Ahem... now that is out of the way...

Working on testing and validation of the generic wheel collider, and making sure that it will work with KF models and their rigging.  Using a custom written extremely simplified set of PartModules to manage the wheel colliders and visible meshes for debug purposes only.  These have features centered on debugging and config setup rather than actual usability; far better results could be had by pairing the new colliders with a more robust and refined wheel/vehicle system (such as KF :) ).  Only tested a few models, but the colliders are generic enough that they should be able to work nearly anywhere.

First, the large-wheels:

lyzCCGr.png

Under full acceleration with the motor torque maxed, hence the nose-up attitude (it sits level when not under acceleration).  Wheel dynamics appear to be working quite well.  You can see the debug GUI for the custom/temp/debug PartModule controlling the colliders (it has lots of fun settings, and tons of good info, but most only good for debug or initial config setup).

Next, the medium track climbing over a pipe:

op9hQtb.png

Working all... tracky-like.  Multiple wheel-colliders included (with the angled front/rear!), with RPM averaging for a more 'tracks' like effect, all managed by a single module, all on one part.  I don't have the suspension travel or collider size setup very well for this case, but it was good enough to test that things worked, and working extremely well considering how 'off' some of the settings were.

Testing = Successful.  Very.  I'm very confident that Lo-fi will be able to integrate the colliders into KF and get things moving again.. literally.  Sadly any work on the KF plugin / models end of things will have to wait for his return as it would probably take me a few months to get caught up on the codebase.  Of course the colliders themselves need to be finished up and refined, which I think I can make good progress on now that some of the larger problems have potential solutions.

Next task for me is cleaning up the stock replacement set of PartModules and getting the back-end systems ready for some small-group beta testing using the stock-replacement modules and patches.  This will entail testing of the stock wheels using the replacement wheel colliders, and will be aimed at both debugging the physics and refining the stock-replacement module UI and functionality.  When I get to that point I may solicit for volunteer testers, but for right now there is nothing stable that is ready to be shared.  Hopefully won't be too far out, but with Unity physics being what they are I can't give any kind of real timeline.

This looks AMAZING!!! I have been anxious and chomping at the bit for this to be updated, and by the look of things, it will have been well worth the wait.  This mod is by far my favorite.  From the rover body to the OUTSTANDING wheels and treads.  KSP just hasn't been the same.  I know it isn't ready, yet, and you guys are working really hard doing what is frustratingly maddening at times... I just wanted you to know, I appreciate all of the hard work you are doing. 

I was going to ask. Didn't they fix wheels in 1.2 but then I saw what you are working on with the treads so I'm willing to wait. But I must ask will the treads have tanks steering? Which is turning while stopped. Because it's annoying not having that in stock

On 11/24/2016 at 9:55 PM, infinax said:

But I must ask will the treads have tanks steering? Which is turning while stopped. Because it's annoying not having that in stock

I know nothing about how these wheels work, but it's probaly possible. I think we should wait for the wheels and all the stuff to be fixed and released, then they would probaly look into it :)

I guess this is the only mod that has tracks and anti-gravity repulsors.

That's why peope are asking for ETA's

This thread became a place, where are many people asking for ETA's and not supporting the damn mod

Rezultat iskanja slik za wet fish delivery

"Wet fish ressuply"

If anyone is interested in helping to test the custom wheel colliders, please either post here or send me a PM.  It includes patches that duplicate the stock parts using the new wheels, and a second set of patches duplicating all of the KerbalFoundries parts.  Parts are duplicated so that they may be tested alongside the original part for performance comparison.

Will be packing up a release for 'private' testing shortly, should have it available within an hour or so.  Will also have a second download of the SSTU-SC-E parts w/integrated wheels for testing (still has other problems, but the wheels should be working).

Initial testing will be done with a smaller group until the majority of the initial problems are solved and things are looking generally stable.  Hope to expand it into a public release in the next week.  All testing interaction will be done through GitHub; new testing releases will be downloaded from there, issues must be posted there (and must include logs, screenshots, and repro details), and it will otherwise serve as the main point of contact and organization.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I wanna be a part of this. :D

Please check: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/releases/tag/0.9.0  for the download link.  Please read the release notes, as there are important details in there.  Notably I will only be responding to issues posted to GitHub (neither the SSTU nor KF threads are the right place for them, so please don't clutter them up).  There are also some brief instructions/notes in there about how to set things up, and fixes for common problems.  Important stuff...

(I was going to PM the links...but honestly I'm fine with anyone testing, as long as they follow the above bug reporting procedures;  failure to do so will get you reported on the forums, and probably personally ignored).

7 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Please check: https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/releases/tag/0.9.0  for the download link.  Please read the release notes, as there are important details in there.  Notably I will only be responding to issues posted to GitHub (neither the SSTU nor KF threads are the right place for them, so please don't clutter them up).  There are also some brief instructions/notes in there about how to set things up, and fixes for common problems.  Important stuff...

(I was going to PM the links...but honestly I'm fine with anyone testing, as long as they follow the above bug reporting procedures;  failure to do so will get you reported on the forums, and probably personally ignored).

insteristing

8 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

And in keeping with the grand KSP tradition, bug reports for version N, shall flow in just after release of version N+1.

My moto for this week is; If you find yourself having trouble smiling, try mad cackling instead.  It's heaps more fun than crying.

12 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

And in keeping with the grand KSP tradition, bug reports for version N, shall flow in just after release of version N+1.

My moto for this week is; If you find yourself having trouble smiling, try mad cackling instead.  It's heaps more fun than crying.

Hehe, my mad cackling can already be heard for blocks around.  What is the next step past that, maniacal laughter?  Might give that a try...

Will probably have an updated release of the wheels for testing a bit later this afternoon; have fixed up a few quality-of-life problems, and am currently investigating adding tweakscale support.