[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

@plomp90: The 2nd question/issue you reported about the top of the Atlas tank being too small. Well...first you aren't using the decoupler that is designed between the Mercury spacecraft and the Atlas rocket. Second...that's scaling. Is it perfect, no. Because FASA is not replica, which means that some artistic license was taken to conform to KSP's stock dimensions. HOWEVER, if you look at real pictures of Mercury - Atlas launchers the skirt between the capsule and the Atlas rocket was much longer AND also shrank because...guess what...the top of the Atlas Tank was smaller diameter than the Mercury capsule. Because of the way things were modeled the skirt is part of the decoupler and because the retrorocket is only so tall, the decoupler can only be so tall, which shortens the skirt in KSP even with RO. What I have done, while not completely accurate, is make a specific Mercury - Atlas decoupler part that is taller and by setting nodes within the decoupler, sinks the top of the Atlas tank within it, which decreases the visual discrepancy between the two. I can take a screen of the proper way to build it later this afternoon. A small change to this adapter and many more changes will appear shortly once I've made a pass though FASA configs.

I'm having some trouble with delta V values from mechjeb. In the VAB I design a spacecraft with a certain amount of delta-V, for example I had LH+LOX lunar transfer stage, in the VAB it had 7000 m/s, but once I went to the launch pad this was suddenly only ~5000 m/s.

Obviously this is a bit annoying when trying to actually do some missions, so would appreciate some help :P

I'm having some trouble with delta V values from mechjeb. In the VAB I design a spacecraft with a certain amount of delta-V, for example I had LH+LOX lunar transfer stage, in the VAB it had 7000 m/s, but once I went to the launch pad this was suddenly only ~5000 m/s.

Obviously this is a bit annoying when trying to actually do some missions, so would appreciate some help :P

Lots of possibilities, likely nothing is wrong, and to top it off, this isn't the mechjeb support forum.

Lots of possibilities, likely nothing is wrong, and to top it off, this isn't the mechjeb support forum.

I would point out that this is a problem I am having which is specific to playing in Realism Overhaul, never experienced it in any other set up. I was mostly curious if anyone else had similar trouble with the delta v calculations. It's either a problem with MechJeb as you suggest or its a problem with RO and it's various dependencies.

And as I mentioned, for me this issue appeared only after setting up a RO play through, so it looks like the more obvious culprit.

I guess the question is, is there anything in RO that would cause the stats for the rockets to be different in the VAB than on the launch pad.

This is odd... Burn times stay the same, but mass seems completely out of whack. You've got different launch masses between the pad and VAB... odd. Try reinstalling or updating ModuleManager. This looks like some sort of installation issue.

Yup, problem was definitely with Tweakscale, so I have removed that until they get a fix out.

I had another question, regarding the Asteroid Spawning. I seem to be getting lots of asteroids spawning inside Earth's SOI, this has resulted in multiple Class D and E rocks spawning and promptly smashing into the surface of the planet, which I think we can agree is a little unrealistic. I also have a Class D which spawned into a captured orbit, giving the Earth a second moon pretty much.

Is this intended, or just a consequence of the Asteroid spawning code???

Yup, problem was definitely with Tweakscale, so I have removed that until they get a fix out.

I had another question, regarding the Asteroid Spawning. I seem to be getting lots of asteroids spawning inside Earth's SOI, this has resulted in multiple Class D and E rocks spawning and promptly smashing into the surface of the planet, which I think we can agree is a little unrealistic. I also have a Class D which spawned into a captured orbit, giving the Earth a second moon pretty much.

Is this intended, or just a consequence of the Asteroid spawning code???

I'm guessing all this is happening because the Asteroid spawning code hasn't been changed by RSS yet.

Novasry, the behaviour you describe is what asteroids do in stock KSP, it has nothing to do with RO or even RSS. That being said, RSS used to come bundled with Custom Asteroids, which was configured to use asteroids to recreate all sorts of awesome stuff (asteroid belt, kuiper belt, even comets) and stopped the silly stock asteroid behavior (i.e. no annual mass extinctions), no idea why it's no longer the case.

I think it's probably fair to say that it's more of an RSS "issue", a term I use very lossely here. It seems that the ARM code is spawning the asteroids normal distances from Earth/Kerbin, but because Earth's SOI is so much larger they just spawn inside and are automatically captured.

It might be somewhat more frequent or simply more noticeable with RSS, but I'm pretty sure the same basic thing (asteroids smashing into the planet) also happens way too frequently in the stock-sized system. Given what NathanKell wrote, the solution to your problem is to install Custom Asteroids. It's basically just a .dll, so you don't have to worry about memory limits.

@RedAV8R: I dont have those mods you named. I will now just start deinstalling mods, that could do anything to RealEngines. I will see, what I'll find out.

Do me a favor, don't uninstall anything. Test things again and give me a slightly more detailed and accurate idea of what YOU see. Activate the engine, make sure the gimbal is turned on, (if you right click the part, there should be two "lock gimbal" buttons). Try and change attitude, the rocket should change attitude, the exhaust animation won't move, the engine itself will, but the rocket will change attitude.

Hello

Are there any updates coming?

What is the current progress on the next version?

What is going to be changed there?

I certainly do not want to look like a bore but everything that I have seen here up to the moment was always well worth the wait. Nothing changed for some time already despite the original post saying that the updates are going to come out often on this stage and I am starting to think that I have missed something. I just hope that everything is fine.

Work is continuing. If you've paid attention to git, updates have been made nearly every day minus about a week stretch I was on vacation. With 0.25 on it's way shortly I've held back from another release. Currently working on SDHI/AJKD/Taurus. Once that's done I can issue a release (likely last 0.24.2 release). They'll be some stock changes for 0.25 and when that is done I'll release another update.