[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

Still mystified about deadly reentry and realism.

Am I correct that I install realism overhaul (and the recommended packages including deadly Reentry), but do not need a different config file?

Deadly reentry says I need "heatshields configured for RSS" which I can "get in the realism overhaul thread". Does that mean that the RO package includes those heat shields, or is there a link somewhere I am missing?

Heat shield dies at 1500C. 48KM, 7900M/s, 0.32G acceleration. 3500/4000 ablative material left. "heatshield (3.75<) burned up on reentry.

thank you.

frisch: hit ALT-F12, go to Database, configs. Find the 3.75 Heathshield config, and view it. See if it matches these numbers:

loss
{
key = 650 0 0 0
key = 2000 1500 0 0
key = 6000 2000 0 0
}
dissipation
{
key = 300 0 0 0
key = 800 50 0 0
}

If they do, then it looks like those values don't work any more. Which is weird, since they're basically the same, scaled up, as the ones from the Mk1-2 pod heat shield.

I think something might be wrong with the RLA engine configs. I've got the KB RD-0214 Nozzle and the S5.92/98M, but the other ones I've got unlocked so far are all stock. I've looked at the config file and I see that configs for the other engines are also there but it somehow doesn't take.

I think something might be wrong with the RLA engine configs. I've got the KB RD-0214 Nozzle and the S5.92/98M, but the other ones I've got unlocked so far are all stock. I've looked at the config file and I see that configs for the other engines are also there but it somehow doesn't take.

You just mentioned "unlocked". Read the freaking OP and notice that career mode IS NOT SUPPORTED!

Still mystified about deadly reentry and realism.

Am I correct that I install realism overhaul (and the recommended packages including deadly Reentry), but do not need a different config file?

Deadly reentry says I need "heatshields configured for RSS" which I can "get in the realism overhaul thread". Does that mean that the RO package includes those heat shields, or is there a link somewhere I am missing?

Heat shield dies at 1500C. 48KM, 7900M/s, 0.32G acceleration. 3500/4000 ablative material left. "heatshield (3.75<) burned up on reentry.

thank you.

Again, what are you using for your initial perigee? Now the 1500C might have something to do with it. What does the maxTemp show in the VAB for that part. I'd look but on vac and laptop won't run KSP.

Right. And the same thing happens when I load a sandbox mode game.

Then you have buggered the install, installed RftS or StockAlike (which disables RealEngines as found in RO, mentioned in the OP), or otherwise didn't follow some other directions. Why don't you read the OP and follow this AWESOME example that that night81 provided us.

Then you have buggered the install, installed RftS or StockAlike (which disables RealEngines as found in RO, mentioned in the OP), or otherwise didn't follow some other directions. Why don't you read the OP and follow this AWESOME example that that night81 provided us.

Okay, I set up a test setup containing the bare minimum required mods for RO and added in RLA. I installed:

Real Solar System 7.3

Custom Biomes (included in RSS)

RO v6a12

FAR 14.1.1

Engine Ignitor 3.4.1

Realchute 1.2.4

RealFuels 7.3

RLA 11.2

The original issue was that the engines in RLA were not modified by RO. The issue was still present in this configuration. Additionally it looks like some other parts were not modified, although I'm not very familiar with the non-engine parts in RLA. E.g. I see some monopropellant tanks for instance.

In the process of doing this, I double-checked the versions of the mods and realised that the OP doesn't mention the version of RLA supported. I had a hunch and discovered that the currently available version of RLA uses different part names than the ones in the RO config.

Nice assuming btw </sarcasm>

Hello NathanKell

I have those numbers for the 3.75 heatshield.

Thank you for looking into this. Anything else I can check?

frisch: hit ALT-F12, go to Database, configs. Find the 3.75 Heathshield config, and view it. See if it matches these numbers:

loss
{
key = 650 0 0 0
key = 2000 1500 0 0
key = 6000 2000 0 0
}
dissipation
{
key = 300 0 0 0
key = 800 50 0 0
}

If they do, then it looks like those values don't work any more. Which is weird, since they're basically the same, scaled up, as the ones from the Mk1-2 pod heat shield.

Hello RedAV8R

My initial perigee is between 50 and 55km . At the point where the heat shield died the max Gs never exceeded 0.25. I've used these numbers in an earlier version, but the model may have changed some.

I had assumed that a shallow perigee would result in less heating, but with the possible problem of skipping out of the atmosphere again. If the DR heat model includes heat conduction through the heat shield then its possible that a longer, shallower reentry is actually worse. If that is the case I can try a steeper one. I'm not sure how much of the physics you are modeling.

Max temperature in the VAB for the 3.75 heatshield shows 1800C, but it dies just above 1500 (last reading was 1523). The message was that the heatshield burned up, so it isn't some other component burning up first. The capsule burns up almost instantly, but the heat shield is listed as the first to go in the display.

While this particular issue is frustrating the realism overhaul is very impressive. The amount of skilled technical effort that has gone into Kerbal mods is pretty amazing. If any of you want to work or large X-ray lasers instead.....

Again, what are you using for your initial perigee? Now the 1500C might have something to do with it. What does the maxTemp show in the VAB for that part. I'd look but on vac and laptop won't run KSP.

Okay, I set up a test setup containing the bare minimum required mods for RO and added in RLA. I installed:

Real Solar System 7.3

Custom Biomes (included in RSS)

RO v6a12

FAR 14.1.1

Engine Ignitor 3.4.1

Realchute 1.2.4

RealFuels 7.3

RLA 11.2

The original issue was that the engines in RLA were not modified by RO. The issue was still present in this configuration. Additionally it looks like some other parts were not modified, although I'm not very familiar with the non-engine parts in RLA. E.g. I see some monopropellant tanks for instance.

In the process of doing this, I double-checked the versions of the mods and realised that the OP doesn't mention the version of RLA supported. I had a hunch and discovered that the currently available version of RLA uses different part names than the ones in the RO config.

Nice assuming btw </sarcasm>

Using an updated mod that requires changes on our end, that would do it. Thanks for the heads up on the update. Guess there is some more work to do.

Hi you guys!

I'm building an orbiter model for Realism Overhaul and could use some help.

The shuttle is a real scale and real weight model/.

The model is complete, texturing almost complete but the scripting is way from done.

I cannot get the RCS in the nose and tail to work. The shuttle is very hard (even impossible on this moment) to fly and could use some (a lot) of optimization. Most of the work has to be done on COM and COL and control surfaces aspects. This requires a lot of testing and editing.

Is there anyone who can and would like to help with this?

yQ4BjQf.jpg

Could you please add old Real Engine features? Like non-node engine attaching and tweakable pitch? I really wanna build my Space Shuttle.

I'm afraid that is not going to happen. You are free to edit the configs yourself.

Hi you guys!

I'm building an orbiter model for Realism Overhaul and could use some help.

The shuttle is a real scale and real weight model/.

The model is complete, texturing almost complete but the scripting is way from done.

I cannot get the RCS in the nose and tail to work. The shuttle is very hard (even impossible on this moment) to fly and could use some (a lot) of optimization. Most of the work has to be done on COM and COL and control surfaces aspects. This requires a lot of testing and editing.

Is there anyone who can and would like to help with this?

http://imgur.com/yQ4BjQf.jpg

Make sure you are using ModuleRCSFX as provided in the RO archive. Otherwise proper RCS won't work.

Edited by RedAV8R

I would like to report Black Screen bug of RO 6.0 with RemoteTech2.

To reproduce: reinstall KSP, add all the required modules, RO 6.0 and add RemoteTech2 (I modified RemoteTech_Settings.cfg to set the Ground station at the Kourou location)

Now simply start a new Sandbox game, create a unmanned rocket in the VAB, and finally add a Reflectron DP-10 before we enter the launch pad.

On the launch pad (I 'm in connection) I can reproduce a black screen by either first launching the rocket and then change heading in the (RemoteTech) flight computer or first set flight computer and then launch.

After the black screen appears, I can only see the interface. I can return to the VAB but If I return to the space base my screen becomes black again.

Anyone got an install which actually works stuffed into an EXE?

I installed the 23.5 version 10 times before I got it half way right and even then I had an insane bug which prevented unmanned landers on the Moon. I really can't be arsed going through the install another 10 times for this version.

Should I just wait for the next update so I don't get 2 hours playtime before the next update rips it all up again?

FreeThinker: since everyone else would get that if it's a problem in the setup (and would be very vocal about it!) I'm going to guess it's an install issue. Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the OP, and if that fails, follow the issue reporting steps in the op.

leeham991: nope, that's not allowed. Licenses, etc.

I completely understand, but if you do ever manage to solve the licensing, I (and I suspect others) would happily pay good money for a known-working configuration. I haven's succeeded in getting an overall working setup in the last month or two.

FreeThinker: since everyone else would get that if it's a problem in the setup (and would be very vocal about it!) I'm going to guess it's an install issue. Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the OP, and if that fails, follow the issue reporting steps in the op.

I looked back a few several pages and I could not find a similar problem. I realize FASA is a WIP. All of my mods are up to date. I am running on a mac and here is my log https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9pm1i59c04ycoi/Player.log?dl=0

For some reason when ever I try to launch any saturn variant the parachutes start deployed. In fact they are deployed in the VAB. I have restarts. Used a fresh install, reinstalled FASA. To no avail, the parachutes remain deployed. Any guidance in the proper direction would be extremely helpful.

It's an issue with RealChute, actually. stupid_chris is aware, but we can fix it on our end (probably should since he had a massive does of Bad Real Life and will be away for a bit).

Is it an issue with the most recent version of real chute? Can I go back to 123 or 122?

I'm having a strange problem with a new install and i can't locate what's causing it.

I tend to lose control of my craft during ascent. I mean I can control it at launch, but after like 1 minute I can only throttle, altitude controls aren't working, SAS nor RCS aren't responding. This hapens both with manned and unmanned crafts, so I don't think it's RemoteTech issue...

I'm using KSP 24.2 32bit, full RSS+RO + some parts mods, like tracks for rovers, nothing to do with control.

EDIT:

Just found it, this is exactly what happens to me:

Note that it's NOT electric charge running out, I double cheked ;]

EDIT2:

I think i pinpointed the issue. Bobcat's soviet engines, specifically RD-0124 combined with Proc. Fairings, were causing issues with staging and control.

Edited by Rothank

I follewed the instructions, I multiple times made a fresh install and add all required mods. I can repeat and get the same result time after time.