[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

Edit the Sentar .cfg page on textedit/terminal (for mac) and change the reference point tom 'Sun' to 'Kerbol' so Sentar will orbit 'Kerbol'. In this case, 'sun' used to be kerbol in stock game, but now 'kerbol' represents the home star. With star systems, 'sun' is now the black hole

This will not work because if you go into sentar's config, it only has the description and a message that you can not configure the planet. I don't know why they put that there because it is not true. You can erase that message, then copy and paste a (or part of a) config from a different planet and alter that. I had the same problem. You can go to

for more info. good luck

I agree, Idk what he is doing.

If he doesn't come back within a month I'll try to make a patch for you guys.

If someone does fork the project, I would like to contribute. I have experience with C# (not Unity game dev though) and would like to lend a hand where I can.

I have a new laptop that can not open many files. If I can find out how, I will try to also help make this mod.

P.S. Maybe we should make a developer only thread?

I'd recommend no new thread yet. Give it some time. If we don't hear anything soon, I'll go ahead and work on a forked repository and release an update. I just need to check the license he attached and see what attribution I need to give him.

Has anyone made a new star and a few planets that will work with this? I tried messing around with it and couldn't seem to figure it out.

Yes, here is a list, but you will need to configure the planets to orbit a star instead of the sun, which is now the black hole.

Boris system, Wot System, Fearless System

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70018-The-Boris-System-Planet-Factory-CE-MOD(-March-28th)(Planet-Packs)(STiLL-WORKS!-23-5)

Kaiser System (Use the cloud/ rings, it looks crummy without it but awesome with it. Look in link)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77711-23-Dooz-s-Kaiser-System-Planet-Pack-For-PF-CE

Sentar system

This comes with planet factory CE, but it needs part of a config from another planet copy and pasted in. Just erase the message that says that it is not configurable, THEY LIE!!!!

Urania System*(See bottom)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66882-0-23-V-0-4-Sido-Urania-s-System-Pack-16-new-planets-and-moon-%21-Aurora

And The Verion System*(Also see bottom)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85047-0-23-5-Kerbal-Universe-2-V-2-1-BETA

*The Urania system needs an additional mod to reduce memory or it will crash on loading. (More info on link)

*The Verion system is part of a Pack called "Kerbal Universe 2" It has 2 stars set to orbit the sun, and Verion. I would only use Verion, as the stars are not as good quality as the ones from this mod.

There was also a pack that I saw. I forgot the name, but it added 2 dwarf planets; Ceres (Real)and Eureka (Fake) Ceres is Ceres, Eureka is a mini, life filled planet.

Multiple planet packs require a lot of memory, and installing two many of them will result in glitched (strange red/white) textures. I installed the memory reducing mod from Urania, but I either did it wrong so it wasn't enough. I have been experimenting with reducing pixel concentration, therefore reducing memory used, to help me add more proper planets. Results are promising, but don't try yet. There is still testing to be done.

Edited by gigaboom2
I forgot something.

Hi and thanks for replying. My settings in the base system "Sentar_" says that "the planet is not congigurable". I opened the cfg file but only found the description in the celestial body but nothing else. I tried annexing into Config file to have as a reference Kerbol and not sun but the game stumbles and just stays on the menu. I still do not solve the problem ... I would appreciate your help.

Nice! Now to try and put some planets around these bad boys. Can I use "BLACKY KARMAN" for the referencebody?

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/Larry_M/DoubleStarsampBlackHolev02.jpg

No. Use "Sun" as reference body for the black hole, as it is nothing more than the original kerbol, just altered. I have noticed problems with this (Bodies not moving) but feel free to try for yourself. I may have don it wrong.

P.S. They might get no light.

Hi and thanks for replying. My settings in the base system "Sentar_" says that "the planet is not congigurable". I opened the cfg file but only found the description in the celestial body but nothing else. I tried annexing into Config file to have as a reference Kerbol and not sun but the game stumbles and just stays on the menu. I still do not solve the problem ... I would appreciate your help.

It should look like this:

CelestialBody

{

bodyDescription=Ah, finally some rings... According to the fish the name translates into Kerbal as ratnes or "to stand". Significant? I doubt it... Based on Polyphemus from Avatar. Texture from Celestia pack by Milosz21.

}

Orbit

{

inclination = 5

eccentricity = 0.0

semiMajorAxis = 21312983129

LAN = 0

argumentOfPeriapsis = 0

meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0

epoch = 0

referenceBody = Corbo

}

I'm having a hard time to gather information here.

Should I start a new save completely? I tried to apply this mod to one of my saves and my largest base keeps spawning ontop of Kerbol instead of Minmus where i built it. Would I avoid this with a new save?

My main idea was basically adding this StarSystems mod and then use a planet pack to populate the stars(using hyperedit), then use this to colonize some planets.

If I add a planet pack only like Sido's pack, would I also get any odd issues there?

I'm having a hard time to gather information here.

Should I start a new save completely? I tried to apply this mod to one of my saves and my largest base keeps spawning ontop of Kerbol instead of Minmus where i built it. Would I avoid this with a new save?

My main idea was basically adding this StarSystems mod and then use a planet pack to populate the stars(using hyperedit), then use this to colonize some planets.

If I add a planet pack only like Sido's pack, would I also get any odd issues there?

Yes, I would think a new save is needed.

I'm getting those odd issues because I modified the Star System by putting the two stars Corbo and Dolas in the same orbit and very close to each other. I have another program folder with the Star System 0.2 installed as it was released with the Sentar system around Corbo, and the Trans-Keptunian system around Dolas with no problems so far. I have modified the orbiting distances of both systems to get them closer to both Corbo and Dolas.

They look great!

Yes, I would think a new save is needed.

I'm getting those odd issues because I modified the Star System by putting the two stars Corbo and Dolas in the same orbit and very close to each other. I have another program folder with the Star System 0.2 installed as it was released with the Sentar system around Corbo, and the Trans-Keptunian system around Dolas with no problems so far. I have modified the orbiting distances of both systems to get them closer to both Corbo and Dolas.

They look great!

Nice, what issues still pertains your game? Is it a "guarantee" that I can build bases on moon surfaces without odd kraken attacks such? You have an ongoing game right now that works with StarSystems with planetpacks?

Reason I'm asking is because if I try a new savegame, I'll have to spend at least 50 hours assembling a spacebase on Minmus, from which I'll produce my interstellar ship. It really must be krakensafe at least.

Nice, what issues still pertains your game? Is it a "guarantee" that I can build bases on moon surfaces without odd kraken attacks such? You have an ongoing game right now that works with StarSystems with planetpacks?

Reason I'm asking is because if I try a new savegame, I'll have to spend at least 50 hours assembling a spacebase on Minmus, from which I'll produce my interstellar ship. It really must be krakensafe at least.

Sorry, I cannot guarantee anything. I also am just in beginning stages. I have just completed installing the systems I wanted at the distances I liked, that is about it.

I will start landing on planets and see how things go.

Hopefully someone else can answer your questions.

Just throwing this out there: Is there support for a centralised and funded version of an extra planets mod? (Kerbal Universe, I'm looking at you - but not only at you).

A lot of mods seem to die or stall as the lead developer is a one man team and doesn't have the time, inclination or funding to contribute time. Now PF is open sourced I feel a lot of people will be looking for the next thing, and a lot of one man teams might spring up as people try to be the next thing - why not pool development resources and keep this thing alive?

It might not apply directly to starsystems - but I figure I might as well post here as well as it's kind of along the same lines and I guess there is a lot of overlap.

To put my money where my mouth is, I can contribute funding, code and web development for a web site to act as an accessible project hub. PM me if you're interested or would contribute.

Stop spamming this, and I am waiting for OvenProofMars to return. If he doesn't by the end of this month I'll work on making a new version..