[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

I'm going to download it, when planets are added to new systems. By the way, how fast do these stars orbit around the black hole, because I'm using Interstellar and matching velocity after warp jumps will kill me.

Answer-To-Every-Question Time!

When will the next update be out?

I don't know.

does this mod have any effect on the magic boulder? just curious

The Magic Boulder was removed a while ago...

I'm having slight issues, it seems, with this. I'm using the above planet package,

And this Star Systems file: https://github.com/OvenProofMars/StarSystems/releases/tag/V0.2

This is what happened: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307688023

Any ideas? I'm dying to get multiple solar systems.

64-bit bug with PlanetFactory. Happens 90% of the time, Oven said he would work on a fix but I haven't heard from him. Best way to tell whether your 64-bit is broken or not is to look for clouds on the main menu (If you have visual enhancements installed). If they're not there, then the bug has happened this time. (BTW it's caused by PlanetFactory corrupting Visual Enhancements and StarSystems). If the clouds are there, then you have successfully booted up KSP with 64-bit PlanetFactory and StarSystems working perfectly, which I can sometimes do.

If you want a lot of planets, use 32-bit but turn down your graphics or install Active Texture Management. Or wait for some kind person to give Krag a 64-bit patch like he requested....

I've been following this tread with great interest and I'm looking forward to the finished mod.... but I am a bit concerned... Has anyone actually heard from Oven recently? His last post was back on 1 August. Is he ok? Just busy I hope.

I don't know, he said we'd have the new version out 3 weeks ago and that he'd email me, he hasn't emailed me since August 1 either.

He's probably either busy with work or (hopefully) working on the mod and adding loads of new features, although he would have said something about it I guess.

Looks like we may soon have a legitimate use for the inter-stellar mod! Great job, can't wait to see how this turns out ;D

These stars are relatively easy to get to, by default Kerbol's SOI ends just after Eeloo's orbit. So just escape or get a Jool gravity assist, adjust your orbit, and get captured (Dolas is easier.)

This thread is kinda dying. Any news on development from Oven or others? Also, has anything happened yet with possible compatibility with Kopernicus?

I'm the only developer who seems to have done anything on the forums for a month now. And it's not dying, just in stasis I guess. And Kopernicus messes with the way planets are made and stuff so no, although Oven said that he could implement gas giants soon because those don't require PQS unlike solid planets.

How much ram does this use?

Next to none. The stars have no actual textures.

I'm going to download it, when planets are added to new systems. By the way, how fast do these stars orbit around the black hole, because I'm using Interstellar and matching velocity after warp jumps will kill me.

These stars go at about 30KM per second, making one full orbit every 60 years or so.

When will be update and how many stars will be in next versions?

As I said idk about the update. You can make your own stars by copying Corbo/Dolas' configs and editing colors (Colors must be typed EXACTLY as Red or Blue, anything else is yellow like Kerbol).

There should be at least 3 new stars with planets

You can make your own stars and (in 32-bit) go find some planet pack and edit the configs. Tutorial by Westi29 here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90649-How-to-Make-Your-Own-Solar-Systems-with-StarSystems-Mod-Krag-s-Planet-Factory

Edited by _Augustus_

Destroying ships in orbit on load? ...check

Throwing ships out of orbit and into interstellar space when changing scene? ...check

Teleporting rockets 100-ish kilometers into sky on launch? ...check

Not working with (aka breaking) RPM? ...check

Okay, now for some (hopefully) helpful stuff.

I'm running the 32bit version and the bugs I found are actually caused by this mod, or interaction of this mod with others (determined by removing all and adding them back one by one).

Alt+F2 menu shows this in red text:

[Exception]: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from assembly 'StarSystems'.

Interesting stuff from KSP.log ( full KSP.log here ):

[ERR 21:45:02.169] [ModStatistics] Error while inspecting assembly StarSystems. This probably means that StarSystems is targeting a runtime other than .NET 3.5. Please notify the author of StarSystems of this error.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute' from assembly 'StarSystems'.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs:GetCustomAttributesInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type,bool)

at System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesBase (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributes (ICustomAttributeProvider obj, System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetCustomAttributes (System.Type attributeType, Boolean inherit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModStatistics.ModStatistics.getAssemblyTitle (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

By breaking the RPM I mean this:

(there should be a "main menu" on the displays, also no buttons are working, rocker switches don't move...)

qt28cxB.png

gx2rpqy.png

It's sad that this is so buggy, because it's a really awesome idea to add more stars, more places to visit in the game.

But... [LOG 21:47:40.579] [untitled Space Craft]: ground contact! - error: 86337.650m ...yeah, doesn't happen without StarSystems. :(

Snip. :(

RPM not working is a very known bug. And for all your other bugs: remember that this mod is very work-in-progress (though post all the bugs you get obviously), just give the Devs (or is it just dev now?) some time. It'll be done and awesome some day.

hello i made an account just so i could say this.

I tryed this mod in combination with PF... and as said already it messed up the solar system most of the time, but when i opened the debug menu (ALt+f12) in loading screen it somehow did work. can anyone confirm this?

I have to say, Kerbol's SOI is waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to small, its edge is barely just beyond the furthest point of Eeloo's orbit. What if we want sentar orbiting kerbol further than eeloo? Or a pack that adds kuiper-belt objects? And the stars need to be MUCH further away then they are now. A Hohmann transfer from kerbol to corbo takes just 47 years. If this mod was made to go along with the interstellar pack, it should include realistic interstellar distances, corbo should be at least 0.2 lightyears from kerbol (shortened for kerbal scale). Reaching the stars in ksp should only be achievable using high-tech, 'end of tech tree' parts like solar sails, ions, fusion/antimatter/warp.
These stars are relatively easy to get to, by default Kerbol's SOI ends just after Eeloo's orbit. So just escape or get a Jool gravity assist, adjust your orbit, and get captured (Dolas is easier.)

Don't want to step on any of the devs' toes here, but I'd like to voice my opinion and agree with tychochallenge. This mod is essentially simulating a micro-galaxy, so the distances and orbital periods should be somewhat realistic (albeit kerbalish realism, krealism? realistik?). Distances measured in light-years or parsecs (even if it's fractional like tychochallenge suggested), SOIs on par with a kerbalized (ie. scaled down) heliopause (kerbopause?) several hundred Gm or single digit Tm (heliopause is about 18 Tm), and orbital periods measured in centuries (100 years at least, preferably quite a bit more). Perhaps in the future you could provide a config for those of us who want a larger system. That's all assuming Unity can handle those distances and doesn't just explode in a shower of kuarks and kluons (see what I did there?).

It'd also be cool to see someone (possibly myself) work on creating a nebula-like object (extremely large gas-giant- or star-based object with extremely low density and, therefore, gravity, can only be seen from a distance, maybe utilizing volumetric clouds if they can be set up to become invisible when close by), possibly even with a stellar nursery). The SoI would have to be comparatively immense (certainly larger than a normal star system's), I'm thinking in the tens of Tm (tens of billions of km). Any stars inside would be bright and hot, with SoIs barely larger than a large gas giant, eccentric and randomly-inclined orbits (no ecliptic to speak of, not even any general agreement on direction, but because of the low gravity differences in orbital velocity would be relatively small), orbital periods of many centuries (millennia even, due to the low gravitational binding of the system), and possibly protoplanetary disks (volumetric-cloud-based dust rings with small asteroid objects, certainly nothing larger than pol).

And finally, because I had to remove this mod due to these bugs, any chance of fixing the somewhat-random (though generally upwards) forces at launch and inadvertently launching from some, seemingly random (but probably isn't) height bugs?.

Edited by StarkRG
dev's -> devs', because I know there's more than one

I think you are underestimating the amount of work it would take to make a stellar nursery. While you are in the Nebula, will there be an "atmosphere"? I think you should look into specializing atmospheres.(aerobraking in planet forming disks, a consistent (Very thin) atmosphere density throughout the nebula.)

Don't want to step on any of the devs' toes here, but I'd like to voice my opinion and agree with tychochallenge. This mod is essentially simulating a micro-galaxy, so the distances and orbital periods should be somewhat realistic (albeit kerbalish realism, krealism? realistik?). Distances measured in light-years or parsecs (even if it's fractional like tychochallenge suggested), SOIs on par with a kerbalized (ie. scaled down) heliopause (kerbopause?) several hundred Gm or single digit Tm (heliopause is about 18 Tm), and orbital periods measured in centuries (100 years at least, preferably quite a bit more). Perhaps in the future you could provide a config for those of us who want a larger system. That's all assuming Unity can handle those distances and doesn't just explode in a shower of kuarks and kluons (see what I did there?).

It'd also be cool to see someone (possibly myself) work on creating a nebula-like object (extremely large gas-giant- or star-based object with extremely low density and, therefore, gravity, can only be seen from a distance, maybe utilizing volumetric clouds if they can be set up to become invisible when close by), possibly even with a stellar nursery). The SoI would have to be comparatively immense (certainly larger than a normal star system's), I'm thinking in the tens of Tm (tens of billions of km). Any stars inside would be bright and hot, with SoIs barely larger than a large gas giant, eccentric and randomly-inclined orbits (no ecliptic to speak of, not even any general agreement on direction, but because of the low gravity differences in orbital velocity would be relatively small), orbital periods of many centuries (millennia even, due to the low gravitational binding of the system), and possibly protoplanetary disks (volumetric-cloud-based dust rings with small asteroid objects, certainly nothing larger than pol).

And finally, because I had to remove this mod due to these bugs, any chance of fixing the somewhat-random (though generally upwards) forces at launch and inadvertently launching from some, seemingly random (but probably isn't) height bugs?.

I think Oven is dead. If I knew how to program I would take up the reins, but I can't right now. \

He said he'd implement all those fixes.

And could you perhaps make a nebula? I just want one xD

man, this COULD be awesome.. tried it with all the planets from Westi29's manual, but together with KSPI and B9 it uses too much ram. even with ATM installed.. :D

and x64 is working with either B9+Interstellar or Stars+Planets, but not both together.

man, this COULD be awesome.. tried it with all the planets from Westi29's manual, but together with KSPI and B9 it uses too much ram. even with ATM installed.. :D

and x64 is working with either B9+Interstellar or Stars+Planets, but not both together.

I used all the aggressive settings and downloads. But I did remove interstellar and used the Icarus Mod to get to the other stars.

I think you are underestimating the amount of work it would take to make a stellar nursery. While you are in the Nebula, will there be an "atmosphere"? I think you should look into specializing atmospheres.(aerobraking in planet forming disks, a consistent (Very thin) atmosphere density throughout the nebula.)

I don't think I am, really. I'm not suggesting it would be easy by any means. The densities of nebulae are less than the density of the lunar atmosphere. To put it another way, the most perfect artificial vacuum we can create on Earth is far more dense than your average nebula. So no, there wouldn't be an atmosphere. Basically what I'm suggesting is creating a very large object that has absolutely no substance, just a texture. Additionally I'd look at using the Environmental Visual Enhancements mod to add volumetric "clouds", however I'd have to find out if there's a way to have them fade out as you get closer to them. There is virtually no visual difference between being inside a nebula and not, the only reason we can see them is that they're so massively gigantic, even so you generally can't even see most of them with your standard backyard telescope (in fact, I'd be surprised if you could see any but the brightest without near-professional equipment with long exposures).

As far as the stellar nursery goes it'd just be a collection of tiny stars in weird orbits. The protoplanetary disks would be troublesome, but might be done using EVE clouds, purely a visual thing, and a small handful of large asteroids (like Pol, Bop, and Gilly, something Ike-sized would be questionable) that may eventually become planets.

I think Oven is dead. If I knew how to program I would take up the reins, but I can't right now. \

He said he'd implement all those fixes.

And could you perhaps make a nebula? I just want one xD

I'll definitely look into what it'll take to do it. It's too bad that Oven disappeared. I've never done any KSP modding, but I do have some programming experience so I'll see whether the code makes any sense to me. If it does I might be able to take over, with your (and/or Oven's, if he does return and doesn't want to continue) permission, of course. I think this mod is important as it gives late-game goals which KSP doesn't really have at the moment (Eeloo and Tylo being the only real candidates).

Greetings, I have a problem with version 0.2 of this mod, as the "Sentar_" Planet Factory system does not turn in translation. STAYING fixed like its moons. Being identified with the black hole that I think creates a problem, because if you remove the mod works fine if I starsystem. I wanted to recover the version 0.1 because in this version there are 2 suns and most importantly, is that the "Sentar_" system revolves around Kerbol and not the black hole that is what I want. I would appreciate if you will place a link to the previous version or if you give me any suggestions to fix the problem. Thank you

Greetings, I have a problem with version 0.2 of this mod, as the "Sentar_" Planet Factory system does not turn in translation. STAYING fixed like its moons. Being identified with the black hole that I think creates a problem, because if you remove the mod works fine if I starsystem. I wanted to recover the version 0.1 because in this version there are 2 suns and most importantly, is that the "Sentar_" system revolves around Kerbol and not the black hole that is what I want. I would appreciate if you will place a link to the previous version or if you give me any suggestions to fix the problem. Thank you

Edit the Sentar .cfg page on textedit/terminal (for mac) and change the reference point tom 'Sun' to 'Kerbol' so Sentar will orbit 'Kerbol'. In this case, 'sun' used to be kerbol in stock game, but now 'kerbol' represents the home star. With star systems, 'sun' is now the black hole