How is 64 bit working for you ?

ouion

Has only tried 64 bit and have found one weird thing in 0.24, its a lag then right clicking on parts, this also affect tabs in chrome but not IE for some weird reason.

Else the main problem is mods, KAS is broken for 64 bit and this is the major issue, firespitter don't work yet and is used by lots of mods for stuff like cargo doors.

As many other people, I have found the right click and staging bug too annoying, so I have reverted to 32 bit for now. I only use a selected few mods anyway, so I do not need extra RAM. That said, I think I had a minor fps improvement in 64 bit version, and I think it only crashed once on me.

PS: yes, I have noticed the unresponsive chrome as well, now that you mention it...

Edited by Torham234

I won't say it is smoother or better.

With my current list of working mods, the memory footprint is just stupid. Without ATM my 16GB RAM capacity is smashed with almost 10GB of KSP when it is running. Which is just stupid, when I had the EXACT same number of mods running before with ATM in under 2.8GB of RAM. So KSP went from looking like a nicely formed Jello mold, to looking like a Taco Bell mudbutt spatter.

Just want to clear this one up. KSP, etc was only using 2.8GB of memory previously likely due to the fact that while running in the 32bit address space, no application (or Operating system for that matter) can address more than ~3.7GB of memory. 2.8GB sounds around about right. KSP (and the Unity engine for that matter), as a responsible application will make memory management choices that allow the rest of your system to keep running smoothly.

You are using a lot of mods, some of which would benefit greatly from the ability to address a much larger amount of memory. KSP again has made an informed decision to expand into a much larger memory space due to the requirements of everything that is running within it.

Spend some time with all your mods on in the x64 version and you may find, though it is still Early Access so you may not, that it is a much smoother experience. If you disregard the current known issues.

As for me, I am experiencing most of the known issues so far. They are pretty frustrating at times. Though overall the experience has been quite positive.

Chris

64 bit, and indeed 0.24, have been pretty terrible for me.

Firstly, 32 bit always crashes during loading since 0.24, always at the end of the loading process, so I'm stuck with 64 bit.

64 bit hangs repeatedly, leaving me no choice but to close through task manager. Sometimes at ship switch or scene switch, but almost always when I try to time warp, especially when I time warp quickly (full speed TW guarantees a hang).

Other issues include a wildly inaccurate CoM for my pre-update ships (sometimes 100s of metres out, so it's hard to even get the actual ship into camera focus), and all radial parachutes have been deleted from existing ships. And of course the unresponsive right-clicking and radial decoupler issues that have been widely reported. But these are all minor, and the game would still be playable. The repeated hanging has made the game entirely unplayable.

Admittedly, I have yet to update some mods. Hopefully this will fix some of my issues.

So it's been a chastening experience, and has left me longing for the heady days of .235 :P

64bit Run better than 32bit.

First of all the ingame menus are faster, and when being at the space center and example visiting the VAB/SPH and other buildings it load almost instant.

While flying everything feel the same since i have a powerfull computer but though it feel like the 64bit version or 24.0 run smoother somehow.

The only issue i had with the 32version and that have become much better in 64 bit version. In 32bit version the sound of my rocket engines always had a strange click every 5-10 sec, just like a kind of "lag spike" or something.. But with the 24version and 64bit this is now gone ;-) ( technical the sound stop for 1/10 sec i think and made a clicking sound. ).

OK so right click and chrome looks like are common problems?

Right clicking issues, issues with switching/clicking tabs in FF/Chrome, decoupler bug and the loading screen that flashes to the Astronaut Complex have all been known issues since the community driven x64 project got off the ground. It's an issue in UNITY and not necessarily entirely a KSP problem.

I'm loving the x64 version so far. Almost all of my mods from 23.5 seem to be working fine as-is or have been updated. KAS seems to be all that's left. I've noticed the decoupler bug and sometimes I have to right click a few extra times, but nothing game breaking. I've been playing all weekend and I haven't had a CTD yet.

Menu loading times seem to have improved dramatically, though I don't know if that's only in the x64 version or a general improvement with .24.

Right clicking issues, issues with switching/clicking tabs in FF/Chrome, decoupler bug and the loading screen that flashes to the Astronaut Complex have all been known issues since the community driven x64 project got off the ground. It's an issue in UNITY and not necessarily entirely a KSP problem.

Can't speak for the others, but the decoupling bug is a KSP issue that was a result of an accidental oversight. The devs are aware of it and are working on it. (I asked Mu about it on the KSPTV stream last night)

I haven't noticed a considerable difference in performance. Although I would imagine that when I start installing ridiculous amounts of mods again I will. Also there seems to be way more graphical glitches than on the 32-bit system. I don't know if anyone else has reported the glitches but the devs did mention some possible instability with the 64-bit version.

My ship keeps blowing up into small pieces when I first load a ship from the tracking station. I cant always right click, which is a pain. No ejection force on decouplers. The biggest one here is the ships getting blown apart, though. Any ideas how to fix that? I did see it before in an earlier version too, but it stopped happening on the 23 update iirc. Kinda annoying to find a cockpit on kerbol escape due to an unplanned rapid disassembly.

I'm on 64 bit and ksp just loves thinking i'm 32 bit, Just from people saying 64 bit isn't really fun, well it's fun, but glitchy as heck emphasis on "Heck", Trying to be polite here.

But my 32 bit here, does have it's problems... You know having the core system be 64 bit?

But i do get alot more fun out of it so... I'm staying with 32 bit, Well until i absolutely just YOLO it and hope for the best on 64... :D

Yes i went there on yolo...

I gave up on 64bit. Most of the plugins KSOS uses just aren't written for 64bit. As such we were experiencing way to many random crashes and unknown conflicts.

I finally made the decision to just not support 64bit at all. We gained no benefit from it anyhow. We still need Active Texture Management plus Texture Replacer to get our stuff to run (Nazari isn't able to run 64bit at all).

In the end, seems all our testers, plus Nazari stuck with default 32bit.

For me the 64 bit version is just great. I have a 6 year old potato laptop and with 32 bit KSP was running at around 5 fps during ascend with bigger rockets than tiny size and overall the performance was never really good. Now with 64 bit the game runs smooth as hell even during ascend no frame drops, loading times also seem better than before and I run about 40 mods. Thanks to 64 bit I can finally play it with decent fps.

Right clicky stuff is because of x64? Didn't know that - I thought it was the parts count on my excessive orbital redocking.

Honestly, I don't see much difference. I thought it might be better since I run a x64 OS. I like the new customizable lights, though - but that's in x32, too. I have no clue where there is a difference except maybe memory management. It's quite stable, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.