Seriously?? Is x64 Really THIS buggy?

Finally got around to downloading .24 this morning. Now I've heard that the 64bit version has its issues! but it crashed on me three time within only a half an hour seemingly at random (once going on EVA, twice going between buildings. And this is on a bone stock install! Is that the "expected" crash rate?

It depends on a lot of things. Mine almost never crashes despite running over 50 mods including the "Melt Your computer" graphics mods.

And even those crashes are fairly predictable as I'm also using a couple of mods that haven't been updated yet and are known to be wacky with x64.

Yep, it's less stable, it'll get better with Unity updates though :)

Oh and I moved this to development discussion.

Less I can deal with, but from this (admittedly brief) bit of playing its crashing way more than even my modded-to-the-hilt out-of-memory .23.5 install does. I understand "less," but is this "normal??"

So you complain when the Devs don't release the 64bit version for the reason its too buggy, and then you complain that they release it because its buggy....

I'm not complaining, I'm asking. *My* experience thus far is that it's barely even playable. I understand that x64 is even alpha-y-er than x32 KSP, I'm trying to ascertain if crashes every 10 minutes are an expected behavior at this point and I need to go back to x32 before I get too involved in this save.

Can't say so - get very few crashes, mostly other bugs causing me to force-kill the process by task manager to prevent saving. So far I had 7 crashes within 3 days of constant playing (my PC runs 24/7, I never close games I'm playing), the last being 2014-07-20_190722. My activity hasn't changed afterwards.

Im surprised to hear people have problems with 64bit.. I didn't had no crash WHATSOEVER.. Are you guys on steam? maybe that version has its problems with the 64bit..dunno.

I mean sure i had the occasional annoying bug or glitch (like with the need to stage by smashing space 2-3 times :D) but no crash, or any other game-braking thing happening at all.

PC is 8yrs old, Core2Duo, 5gigs of ram, win7 64 bit. Maybe you are running win 8, or something else? dunno if it plays a role.

EDIT: And btw, i havnt updated to 0.24.2 yet, im still on 24.0, which could help me even more with the mentioned glitches.

Edited by Thourion

I'm not complaining, I'm asking. *My* experience thus far is that it's barely even playable. I understand that x64 is even alpha-y-er than x32 KSP, I'm trying to ascertain if crashes every 10 minutes are an expected behavior at this point and I need to go back to x32 before I get too involved in this save.

IIRC, saves do not change between the two versions -- you don't need to worry about losing your save between them.

You do realize that this game is still under development right?

That's why you bought the game at its low discounted price.

-To accept some bugs (good or bad) and to be able to play early.

<facepalm>

go back and actually read what I've said...

IIRC, saves do not change between the two versions -- you don't need to worry about losing your save between them.

I start a new save with every new update. If x64 is going to give me this much hassle I'd rather know now before I put too much effort into it if I'm just going to get frustrated and switch back to x32 anyways.

Speaking of which, is switching over to x32 just a matter of copying over the executable from the x32 zip?

Speaking of which, is switching over to x32 just a matter of copying over the executable from the x32 zip?

Probably more likely to work if you install the 32 bit version and copy your savegames over. Don't forget to keep the old version around in case it doesn't work.

You do realize that this game is still under development right?

That's why you bought the game at its low discounted price.

-To accept some bugs (good or bad) and to be able to play early.

And this kind of retarded behavior is what lets game developers produce subpar products one after the other...

The moment they charge money they are more or less bound to produce something decent or let be and give up. And no, I dont need to learn to code and make my own game, Im not selling a piece of software that works-or not.

I start a new save with every new update. If x64 is going to give me this much hassle I'd rather know now before I put too much effort into it if I'm just going to get frustrated and switch back to x32 anyways.

The point is, 32-bit and 64-bit are not separate updates. If you go back to 32-bit, you can keep the save without worrying about the different experience (as 32- and 64-bit 0.24.2 are the exact same experience, except for bugs and instability).

EDIT: Also, they weren't going to release 64-bit in 0.24, for exactly this reason. They did so, knowing it was buggy, because the community response to Lilleman's thread was so positive despite the bugs people found. The decision they made was "yes, this is unstable, but people want it despite instability; we'll release the 32-bit version and tell everyone that the 64-bit version is less stable, but given the community reaction to buggy 64-bit, we may as well share the handful of bugfixes we'd already done for it".

Edited by cpast

The savegames use the exact same code to parse them, the 64bit executable is large address space aware and uses some different .dll's (libs on Linux/osx)

It's the stuff you don't see that makes the 64bit binaries less reliable, unfortunately.

Yes this amount of bugs is really what was expected. Why do you think they witheld the 64bit builds for so long? It was probably way more awful before. Had you tried the community hack to have 64bit? It was even more buggy.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I was expecting worse, and I'm pretty impressed it isn't.

And this kind of retarded behavior is what lets game developers produce subpar products one after the other...

The moment they charge money they are more or less bound to produce something decent or let be and give up.

So you're saying that Squad shouldn't have an early access program where we get to play the game before it's done? Or are you saying it's decent now, in which case I'm not sure what your point is?

KSP is in alpha, and we get early access to it. Expecting the game to be flawless at a time when it is still under active development kind of misses the point. It's also quite likely that at least some of the 64 bit instability comes from the fact that Unity itself isn't rock solid when targeting 64 bit windows.

This isn't to say that some companies have a tendancy to not care about the quality of the game once they release it, but assuming that that's the case here is pretty much leaping to conclusions, ignoring evidence to the contrary, etc.

The game is in development. As development continues, old bugs will be eliminated, but new bugs will appear. There will be times when it has more bugs and times when it has fewer bugs. That's just how it works.

If you have specific bugs to report, please do so. Meanwhile, this thread is descending into insulting language, and will be closed.

Edited by Vanamonde