R.I.P Robin Williams

Mach_XXII

I believe that the Forums should shutdown for a moment to remember Robin Williams. A truly great comedian, actor, philanthropist, and overall amazing person. I can't imagine that Robin Williams isn't somehow indelibly linked to all of our childhoods and it is truly a sad day. Feel free to post crazy, funny, or even truly impressive rockets, stations, and any creations named in honor of Robin Williams. Also of course use this page as a repository for clips, pictures, and quotes.

I can't believe it. :(

I couldn't either, I was looking around the web to see if it was just a hoax somebody made up and the news bought, but then I came across the BBC article. I knew that the BBC had a good reputation and would do their homework and wouldn't lie about things like this. I almost cried, I haven't felt that sad and heartbroken since I heard that George Carlin died.

I first saw him on Mork and Mindy, then a VHS recorded HBO special... he just stuck. I liked just about every movie he was in, my absolute favorite being Bicentennial Man. He showed great range and breadth of skill in his acting, it was comedic, dramatic and soulful.

Robin, thank you for the great memories, it was a hell of a ride.

Unfortunately, I can. Robin's been troubled for a long time; when I saw the news, my first response was "suicide or overdose?".

Damned shame.

Everything I know about him reminds me so much of a bipolar disorder. He presented us with his cheerful side, full of energy, and tried to control the opposite by drinking.

I've googled it and yeah, he really had that disorder. I don't understand what went wrong. We have remarkably good drugs to treat this illness today.

Everything I know about him reminds me so much of a bipolar disorder. He presented us with his cheerful side, full of energy, and tried to control the opposite by drinking.

And epic quantities of cocaine, over the course of decades of use. He had been quite open about his drug history.

I've googled it and yeah, he really had that disorder. I don't understand what went wrong. We have remarkably good drugs to treat this illness today.

Speaking as someone with a doctorate in psychopharmacology and a fair bit of close-up experience with mental illness: not so much. The drugs are a lot better than they used to be, but there's still a long way to go.

As a general rule, psychological and psychiatric medicine today is in a similar state to conventional medicine of the 19th century. Half of what we've got is totally ineffective, and even the things that do work are often accompanied by horrible side effects and/or a serious lack of understanding as to why they work.

Depression is a particularly problematic one. We're not too bad on anxiety disorders, and we can damp down the manic side of bipolar, but no-one really has a good handle on depressive illnesses yet. The SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants barely beat placebo in clinical trials, and there are substantial reasons to doubt the validity of even that evidence. Talk therapies are even less impressive.

None of this is because the psychs and neuros are lazy or incompetent; it's because brains are really, really complicated. We're only just starting to get a proper understanding of how they work.

Having been at the deep end of depression including considering suicide I can tell you that drugs are a stop-gap. What (really) helps is having the opportunity to talk to someone who views you as a human. Shrinks, shrinks just view you as a paycheck and not as someone who just needs a sit down and a talk with someone without the prejudice.

And epic quantities of cocaine, over the course of decades of use. He had been quite open about his drug history.

Speaking as someone with a doctorate in psychopharmacology and a fair bit of close-up experience with mental illness: not so much. The drugs are a lot better than they used to be, but there's still a long way to go.

As a general rule, psychological and psychiatric medicine today is in a similar state to conventional medicine of the 19th century. Half of what we've got is totally ineffective, and even the things that do work are often accompanied by horrible side effects and/or a serious lack of understanding as to why they work.

Depression is a particularly problematic one. We're not too bad on anxiety disorders, and we can damp down the manic side of bipolar, but no-one really has a good handle on depressive illnesses yet. The SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants barely beat placebo in clinical trials, and there are substantial reasons to doubt the validity of even that evidence. Talk therapies are even less impressive.

None of this is because the psychs and neuros are lazy or incompetent; it's because brains are really, really complicated. We're only just starting to get a proper understanding of how they work.

I know all that, but we do have the means of controlling the urges to take one's life. It's a very severe condition, not just typical very bad mood. He supposedly killed himself using inert gas. That requires some planning.

Having been at the deep end of depression including considering suicide I can tell you that drugs are a stop-gap. What (really) helps is having the opportunity to talk to someone who views you as a human. Shrinks, shrinks just view you as a paycheck and not as someone who just needs a sit down and a talk with someone without the prejudice.

Unfortunatelly for me, I know what your're talking about.

Edited by lajoswinkler

I know all that, but we do have the means of controlling the urges to take one's life. It's a very severe condition, not just typical very bad mood. He supposedly killed himself using inert gas. That requires some planning.

I don't want to argue with you while you're upset, but no, we don't. We've got some drugs that are of some help to some people some of the time. They don't work for everybody, and they're not a panacea even for the people who do find them effective.

Depression doesn't prevent planning, and treatment does not necessarily cure depression. There's actually a substantial link between SSRI use and suicidal ideation, particularly in teenagers [1].

In Robin Williams' case, there's also the issue of several decades worth of excessive cocaine use. This is known to cause substantial amounts of neurotoxicity, focussed chiefly on serotonergic systems (the thing that SSRIs target).

Unfortunatelly for me, I know what your're talking about.

You ain't the only one; my knowledge of this field is not just professional. Scientists tend to research topics that they have a personal connection to.

[1] As in, it appears that starting SSRIs may often increase the suicide risk rather than reduce it. There are a few theories as to why [2], but nobody has a proven answer yet. Chasing this question was the thesis topic of one of my close colleagues.

[2] It's possible that SSRIs may in some cases reduce depressive apathy/demotivation without actually improving mood; in lay terms, the patient still feels horrible, but now has the energy to do something about it. There's also some preliminary evidence that the impact of SSRIs on brain function differs markedly between teenagers and adults. Teenage brains aren't just younger versions of adult brains; they are a substantially different thing in terms of neurochemistry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.