[1.12.x] Asteroid Recycling Technologies

RoverDude

quick question, In my current save I'm planning to put an E class asteroid around kerbin and put an MKS base on it, the intent is to mine the asteroid for ore and fuel

ore will be used by my other station (OKS) both for spareparts production and for smelting metal (EPL)

now, I would like to keep it simple so I would like to get a grasp at how complicated it would be to use this mod also.

Would 1 Jaw be enough to produce enough materials in something like 4-6 hours? I don't want to fast forward months worth of kerbaltime just to get the materials, but at the same time I don't want to have to add too many parts. (except for boosters ;) but that's another story)

What I have in mind is either:

1 jaw + 1 ore and karbonite extractor + 1 karbonite to fuel converter

or

1 ore drill + 1 karbonite drill + 1 karbonite to fuel converter

(ugh, wasn't that quick after all :) )

Edited by Sigma88

quick question, In my current save I'm planning to put an E class asteroid around kerbin and put an MKS base on it, the intent is to mine the asteroid for ore and fuel

ore will be used by my other station (OKS) both for spareparts production and for smelting metal (EPL)

now, I would like to keep it simple so I would like to get a grasp at how complicated it would be to use this mod also.

Would 1 Jaw be enough to produce enough materials in something like 4-6 hours? I don't want to fast forward months worth of kerbaltime just to get the materials, but at the same time I don't want to have to add too many parts. (except for boosters ;) but that's another story)

What I have in mind is either:

1 jaw + 1 ore and karbonite extractor + 1 karbonite to fuel converter

or

1 ore drill + 1 karbonite drill + 1 karbonite to fuel converter

(ugh, wasn't that quick after all :) )

You probably want Regolith if your goal is fuel, not ART :) Both have drills, both do asteroid stuff. You can then use ART to convert leftover rock space into other fuel tanks.

ART = Storage, some resources.

Regolith (the tech demo) = Resources, some leftover rock that ART can convert to storage

You probably want Regolith if your goal is fuel, not ART :) Both have drills, both do asteroid stuff. You can then use ART to convert leftover rock space into other fuel tanks.

ART = Storage, some resources.

Regolith (the tech demo) = Resources, some leftover rock that ART can convert to storage

hmmm it looks like I will have to try them out cause I'm not really sure I understand properly.

looking at the cfg files I was under the impression that using the Jaw+the three separators I would have had all the things I needed for a MKS station

(ore+karbonite+substrate)

If I understand your answer correctly, this set-up would produce just a little quantity of resources which would not be enough for running a station and shipping more resources around....

On the other hand, will I be able (using regolith) to produce not only fuel, but also enough ore/minerals/substrate? (either directly from the asteroid or indirectly processing other resources like rock)

Just bear in mind the quantities from ART are tiny. You'll get, maybe, 1% of the value out of that rock as opposed to 10%-90% with the Regolith parts.

After playing around with those mods I really like the idea, but I think this would be too much for my current save, I opted for a personal fix changing one excavator to basically a module that converts electriccharge to rock. It's much simpler that way, but I look forward to use the full mod in my future saves!

Hi Rover, I'm trying out how the stuff of ART works. Now I'm having some questions:

1. If melting rock, do I have to stay focused to the asteroid while melting, because if I switch to another ship or Spacecenter and back I'll have to restart melting rock. Another thing is, that the mass of the asteroid is set back to initial mass, although I've vented some rock before.

2. Does Regolith create the same amount of left over space for converting with fuel hatches? I intend to have a big refueling rock in LKO, if it's the same, I would convert it via Regolith and then using the space for fuel hatches. If not I'm going to use ART only and capture a new asteroid for mining.

Edit: Regarding 1... How does the USI-Converter works exactly for timewarp and on rails... What are the needs, that it works as intended?

Edited by funk

• 2 weeks later...

I will try it on 0.90 next time I restart ( or crash )

I guess your firespitter hotfix is making it for ART as well. I am thinking of FSfuel/meshswitch that are working for B9 with the fix. I am really not sure though.... but still, since there is no dll with ART and you have updated pretty much everything else that contained one, it should be perfect right ( that is what i understood until now about mods: cfg=info ; dll=way to execute it. so no dll no problems right )

Anyway, I will repost either if it is working or not, whenever I get close enough to an asteroid to try it !

Hehe, fell on vacation on monday, so it is like Khristmas !

Do not worry for the patience, you gave me plenty of stuff to do with the mods you already recompiled!

Thank you again for your celerity

And sorry for the typing, I have some keyboard issues with special characters :D Hopefully it will not be enough to crash my rockets

EDIT: MKS is out too ! My day is officially not gonna be productive

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

0.6.0 is up!

• KSP 0.90 Comatibility
  • Converted most parts to Regolith
  • Boosted Jaw efficiency by tenfold
  • Fuel hatches and the Jaw must be directly attached to an asteroid to function
  • Deprecated ORSX
  • Updated DLLs - including TEMPORARY FireSpitter patch for 0.90
  • CTT Integration. Mass driver and rock tank are under Resource Utilization, with the balance of the parts under Off-World mining.

Hey there,

I got a little problem, probably not even a bug.

I´m trying to "recycle" an Asteroid here, and basicly the "melter" does no work.

Using version 0.5.0 of Karbonite, K+ 0.3.0 and 0.6.0 of ART, installed in that order, never used any USI mods before, so no earlier version that wasn´t uninstalled or such things. After experiencing this problems, I also downloaded and installed CRP 0.3.1 and USITools 0.3.0 seperatly, still the "Jaw" is not showing the option to melt.

I ended up trying to dublicate the vessel used in the video and in the title screen, but no matter how I arrange the parts, it doesn´t seem to work.

zGP4bZm.jpg

Oh and I´m using KSP V 0.90

Any ideas how to solve this?

Okay, so now I got myself a fairly big one, and still the same problem.

DUgrdIO.jpg

How often does a bugged Asteroid occur?

I´m new to the resource mods, except for kethane.

Is there a possibility that Hyperedit might interfere with this mod, cuz to try it out I decided to launch my first asteroid catcher from LKO, insted of launchpad.

I´ve not screened all 4 try´s but from tiny to huge none of my asteroids seem "meltable" ;.;

For me it only worked with the Regolith Excavator, it makes a bunch of stuff, including rocks; you can then vent or use the rocks and convert the space.

But beware, if you use the rocks while excavating, you don't get space; Let the Excavator run through and then use the rocks up.

For me it only worked with the Regolith Excavator, it makes a bunch of stuff, including rocks; you can then vent or use the rocks and convert the space.

But beware, if you use the rocks while excavating, you don't get space; Let the Excavator run through and then use the rocks up.

sorry to say, but can´t find such an item or part, what did I miss?

[Edit]

Found an "excavator.cfg" inside the "regolith PRE 0.0.2" release, tryin that now

[/Edit]

[Edit2]

Mining Asteroid :D

[/Edit2]

Edited by Cubeolus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.