[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

Wave,

Below is a sat using 4 of the large NFP arrays, generating a pretty decent 21 GW of power. On the back is a 6.25m x 25m procedural battery containing 2.8 Million EC. Upon activation of the transmitter, the entire battery is discharged within about 1 second. (used hyperedit to get it there for testing XD)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

FractalUK had mentioned that next on his list of fixes was removing the Battery EC requirement from solar sats. I know you have been very busy lately, but any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the output_log, though you probably don't need it.

Got a suggestion, if it's alright:

Since KSPI and Near Future both expand the capabilities of electric engines, and add Argon, would it be possible to have argon and/or xenon be made harvestable with a scoop, to allow electric engines to be used with ISRU?

Wave,

Below is a sat using 4 of the large NFP arrays, generating a pretty decent 21 GW of power. On the back is a 6.25m x 25m procedural battery containing 2.8 Million EC. Upon activation of the transmitter, the entire battery is discharged within about 1 second. (used hyperedit to get it there for testing XD)

http://imgur.com/a/qUvR2#

FractalUK had mentioned that next on his list of fixes was removing the Battery EC requirement from solar sats. I know you have been very busy lately, but any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the output_log, though you probably don't need it.

It's on the list of things that I would like to fix for the next major version. I consider it a fairly high priority, but to be honest, I am not sure that I understand ORS enough to fix it. I've already made on halfhearted attempt.

In short, don't get your hopes up and let be a surprise if it happens. ;)

Got a suggestion, if it's alright:

Since KSPI and Near Future both expand the capabilities of electric engines, and add Argon, would it be possible to have argon and/or xenon be made harvestable with a scoop, to allow electric engines to be used with ISRU?

There is some discussion about adding some of the noble gases to the atmosphere configs, which would then presumably be scoopable directly into your tanks. No IRSU required. It is too early to make promises though.

The part you were using is still in the 0.12-series releases, but it's been renamed. The following ModuleManager config will make a copy of it under the old name so your existing vessels will load.

+PART[DeployablePhasedArray] {
@name = phasedArray1
@techRequired = hidden
@category = -1
}

If you allowed the game to save after a ship failed to load, that ship will be gone from that save file for good. But if you install that config and then load a copy of a save that has your power rover in it, it should work.

Thanks bud, appreciate it!

I had already found a fix for it, just removed all the previous interstellar experimental parts and applied the new patch.

NOTE to all, what undercoveryankee says about a ship failing to load and being gone etc is true, BUT i have found, in my experience, if you press alt+f4 when that message shows, tha game wont save. It only appears to auto save when you click quite to main menu... just a thought :)

Regards

The Gecko

Hey wave,

thanks for keeping this mod up to date and for all the effort you put into it.

I noticed that you dismissed a lot of parts and while I appreciate the reduction of parts, it also creates a few issues. For example the plasma engines: There is no benefit in using proper sizes anymore. If you use the smallest plasma engine, you will get the highest TWR because all sizes have the same energy limit (277.8GW), which results in the same max thrust for all sizes. If you use a satellite network with remote power, it is very easy to use the full thrust even without heavy reactors. But even with heavy reactors there is a benefit in using the small engine, because the appropriate size is usually rather heavy. Same goes of course for turbojets and thermal rockets. I think you will have to reintroduce the versions in different sizes with different power caps.

Furthermore: I really miss charged particles and I think that 50% carnot efficiency is a bit too low. Guess I have to put a 400GW transmitter into orbit again :P

/edit: BTW: I like the idea of full AM tanks! I always put a few labs and an extra reactor on my rocket before the launch, fast forwarded and filled my AM tank. It just seemed silly that you can generate AM anywhere, even on the ground, detach it and start but you cannot fill your tanks in the VAB.

If we can add AM in VAB, i hope that the price will be very very expensive, more than the precious mineral. :cool:

There is some discussion about adding some of the noble gases to the atmosphere configs, which would then presumably be scoopable directly into your tanks. No IRSU required. It is too early to make promises though.

Would this be changeable in a CFG, or does it require plugin modification?

For my own use I figured out the scaling for the various parameters for the liquid fuel + reactor + thermal rocket combos. It occurred to me this might be useful for others. I've got LFO numbers that jive with what wavefunctionp posted a little bit ago. Let me know if you see anything wrong. Note the isp is for vacuum. Spot checked with Kerbal Engineer. Cost is for the reactor only.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Fission[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 107][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Scale (m)[/TD]

[TD]Temp (K)[/TD]

[TD]Power (MW)[/TD]

[TD]Vac. Isp (s)[/TD]

[TD]Thrust (kN)[/TD]

[TD]Cost[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]0.625[/TD]

[TD]4595[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[TD]1516[/TD]

[TD]4.2[/TD]

[TD]625[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]4287[/TD]

[TD]250[/TD]

[TD]1465[/TD]

[TD]34.8[/TD]

[TD]5000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]4000[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]1415[/TD]

[TD]287.9[/TD]

[TD]40000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]3841[/TD]

[TD]6750[/TD]

[TD]1387[/TD]

[TD]991.5[/TD]

[TD]135000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]3732[/TD]

[TD]16000[/TD]

[TD]1367[/TD]

[TD]2384.3[/TD]

[TD]320000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Pfission[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Scale (m)[/TD]

[TD]Temp (K)[/TD]

[TD]Power (MW)[/TD]

[TD]Vac. Isp (s)[/TD]

[TD]Thrust (kN)[/TD]

[TD]Cost[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]0.625[/TD]

[TD]2297[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[TD]1072[/TD]

[TD]5.9[/TD]

[TD]625[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]2144[/TD]

[TD]250[/TD]

[TD]1036[/TD]

[TD]49.2[/TD]

[TD]5000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]2000[/TD]

[TD]1000[/TD]

[TD]407.1[/TD]

[TD]40000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]1921[/TD]

[TD]6750[/TD]

[TD]980[/TD]

[TD]1402.2[/TD]

[TD]135000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]1866[/TD]

[TD]16000[/TD]

[TD]966[/TD]

[TD]3371.9[/TD]

[TD]320000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Fusion[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Scale (m)[/TD]

[TD]Temp (K)[/TD]

[TD]Power (MW)[/TD]

[TD]Vac. Isp (s)[/TD]

[TD]Thrust (kN)[/TD]

[TD]Cost[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]0.625[/TD]

[TD]9190[/TD]

[TD]62[/TD]

[TD]2145[/TD]

[TD]5.9[/TD]

[TD]12500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[TD]8574[/TD]

[TD]500[/TD]

[TD]2072[/TD]

[TD]49.2[/TD]

[TD]100000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2.5[/TD]

[TD]8000[/TD]

[TD]4000[/TD]

[TD]2001[/TD]

[TD]407.1[/TD]

[TD]800000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3.75[/TD]

[TD]7682[/TD]

[TD]13500[/TD]

[TD]1961[/TD]

[TD]1402.2[/TD]

[TD]2700000[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]7464[/TD]

[TD]32000[/TD]

[TD]1933[/TD]

[TD]3371.9[/TD]

[TD]6400000[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Would this be changeable in a CFG, or does it require plugin modification?

Yes, There are config files for those types of resources in ORS. However messing with ORS can be tricky business. You can easily break other mods, which is why we have been standardizing it.

What did you mean by this?

"Removing Treeloader dependency will take time. For now, use the career and cheat funds instead."

It was found that Science Sandbox mode broke the tech tree. I'm still using it, but I guess I haven't progressed far enough to notice any problems. Anyways, if Science Sandbox screws up your tech tree than you need to do a normal career mode and cheat money so you can still ignore funds

What did you mean by this?

"Removing Treeloader dependency will take time. For now, use the career and cheat funds instead."

The mod depends on loading a custom tech tree and buying certain tech nodes to unlock not only parts, but upgraded functionality on certain parts. Treeloader will not load or prompt you to load that custom techtree in science mode. So you can never unlock the parts properly or have access upgraded functionality on certain parts.

Unfortunately, the license to treeloader, which handles kspilite's techtree, is not open to modification or redistribution of anything except the released .dll, which is does not support science mode. And the developer is MIA.

Anyone else have trouble with the dueterium/tritium tanks? I attach 3 to the outside of a fusion or AIM reactor, and when I reach 6000 meters my ship disappears. Easily recreatable bug. possibly they drop off as soon as the resources start drawing from the tanks? hard to tell with the timing.

[Edit: this seems to be fixed in the latest version. Thanks Wave! Continuing my Grand Tour with a Vista strapped to an AIM reactor. Just landed/sci/return from Eve and Moho without refueling.]

Edited by Jetski

Anyone else have trouble with the dueterium/tritium tanks? I attach 3 to the outside of a fusion or AIM reactor, and when I reach 6000 meters my ship disappears. Easily recreatable bug. possibly they drop off as soon as the resources start drawing from the tanks? hard to tell with the timing.

Are you using the latest version? I included patches for those tanks, as the radioactive decay modules were causing issues. An MM patch was included to remove any from existing vessels, but I can't be entirely sure. I'm not used to having to patch things.

Thanks again for all your hard work on keeping KSPI alive, Wave :)

I noticed that once I updated to KSPI Lite .12.2 from .12.1 that the mass of my reactors no longer scales with size (I did a little looking around and noticed that other KSPI part's mass also did not rescale with size)

Anyone know what I might have done wrong in my update?

Looking for some advice RE fission nuclear rockets. Would I be correct in believing that the for a given ISP, the densest fluid is most efficient? Can the DV be calculated the usual way, with the weight of LH2 or LiquidMethane or whatever being considered the propellant weight?

So, thanks to the newest update my MM patch works.

Based in large part on this mod

The primary aim of this mod is to bring forward the essential concepts and capabilities, such as wings, jets, rover wheels, and docking, while holding back refinements and quantitative improvements in these areas. There are several other mods of this type. To put this one in context of the others, it takes the real historical development path into account more than stock, but is still primarily gameplay-motivated. It keeps the stock arrangements of nodes to maintain forward compatibility.

Just drop it anywhere in your Gamedata folder and start up KSP, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

http://www./view/sseojn6yr2upzl5/VetTechInterstellar.cfg

So, thanks to the newest update my MM patch works.

Based in large part on this mod

Just drop it anywhere in your Gamedata folder and start up KSP, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

http://www./view/sseojn6yr2upzl5/VetTechInterstellar.cfg

I'm glad that players are taking advantage of the added compatibility enhancements. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work on keeping KSPI alive, Wave :)

I noticed that once I updated to KSPI Lite .12.2 from .12.1 that the mass of my reactors no longer scales with size (I did a little looking around and noticed that other KSPI part's mass also did not rescale with size)

Anyone know what I might have done wrong in my update?

I would suggest uninstalling clean. The part should be scaling mass appropriately. I double checked earlier and they were behaving on a clean install. If you find a specific mod that conflicts with this behavior be sure to let me know.

Looking for some advice RE fission nuclear rockets. Would I be correct in believing that the for a given ISP, the densest fluid is most efficient? Can the DV be calculated the usual way, with the weight of LH2 or LiquidMethane or whatever being considered the propellant weight?

*shrug* I just put lfo in everything I can. Mechjeb tells me the dv. :P

At a given exhaust temperature, the propellant with the lightest molecular mass will produce the highest Isp. As Isp decreases with increasing molecular mass, thrust per megawatt increases proportionally. Propellant combinations that add further energy chemically (e.g. LFO) still lose some Isp over straight hydrogen, but the extra energy means you gain more in thrust than you lose in Isp.

So generally, you'll use hydrogen (represented by LiquidFuel in both versions of Interstellar for now) when you care more about Isp than TWR, and LFO when you want decent TWR with higher ISP than they would give you in an ordinary chemical rocket.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.