[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

Reverting to the VAB because you failed to plan your craft adequately is NOT 'hard core'.

Of course it's not. It's "ironman". Nothing forbiden in a simulation before real flight. "Hard situations" occure when you far away from Kerbin system. There works mods producing problems such as "low food", "no signal", "route miscalculation", "undone craft" etc.

I really like the path WaveFunctionP chose with this mod. I believe that the hardest thing he has to do is to find just the right balance between fun and complexity. If he manages to succeed in that in my opinion he will turn KSPI from a complex and (new)user unfriendly mod which was difficult to coexist with other mods, to a fun and versatile one, trading complexity for gameplay depth. But the biggest trap here is realism. It is great to have things like reactors, engines and refineries work like their real life counterparts (or like we'd expect them to) with the right resources and chemistry but only up to the point that all this is keeps being fun.

I'll make a simplified example. Let's say you want to extract Hydrogen from water and instead of just clicking "start" and the refinery pumps water in and fills a tank with hydrogen, you have to turn the refinery on, then turn pumps on, then start electrolysis, then start the filter and so on. The first is realistic enough and fun, the second although it is super realistic and maybe makes you feel like an astronaut in Europa the first time you do that, it will soon become a chore and you won't even read the buttons after the third or forth time, just mindlessly click them.

That said more or less the only thing I didn't like is the removal of thorium. Thorium's molten salt reactor is probably the actual next step after enriched uranium's pressurized water reactor, which can even reprocess the waste fuel from the later one just like in the original KSPI. You could make it so the only thing you have to do is change the fuel type after some waste has produced (I know that this couldn't happen in the same reactor in real life but it is realism vs fun again, maybe Kerbals managed to put both of them in the same part!).

I know that you can't make everyone happy so good luck again and thank you for not letting this great mod die.

And also by no means I don't try to degrade Fractal_UK's work on the original KSP Interstellar mod. He obviously had put a great effort and time for both KSPI and ORS and I hope he will come back soon.

Sorry for my grammar.

Wave, thanks for the hard work. I love this mod and I am glad that it is breathing with current KSP version. I have one request to make, can you bring back the smaller (I cant remember what they were called) reactor/generator please. I loved using those on my really small vehicles...the larger reactors are too out of place my my small vehicles.

Again thanks for the hard work nd hopefully you can keep this going for a while.

Im not sure if this has been brought up before or not, however it would be really awesome if you could cycle through the texture/model on the Nuclear Reactors, so that we could use the original skins/models from the old interstellar pack for the sized down Fission reactors. Dont get me wrong, the larger models look REALLY good sized down, in fact, I really enjoy the tweak scale on it, its one of the things I had always wished the original had, was smaller Vista engines and variable sized reactors.

But I miss some of the old models!

There is a scaling bug. I have 1.25 reactor and thermal jet combo, and everything is fine in VAB, but in flight the nozzle is scaled down to 0.625 (thrust is fine, but visual size is small). Have not done further experiments yet.

I have a quick question... are there supposed to be parts... or anything, under the Particle Accelerator Technology in the tech tree? Its showing nothing for me.

Edited by GrimT

I have a quick question... are there supposed to be parts... or anything, under the Particle Accelerator Technology in the tech tree? Its showing nothing for me.

It's been a while since I played KSPI in career mode, but could that be what unlocks the science lab's antimatter generation function?

It's been a while since I played KSPI in career mode, but could that be what unlocks the science lab's antimatter generation function?

Thanks for your response.

I'm a new Kerbonaut so I can't really say I know for sure... I have not unlocked the tech yet so I do not know what follow-on technologies there are. I only ask to make sure I did not install the mod incorrectly or anything. I've not experienced the Kraken yet (yay! also jinxing myself)

An additional, yet related, question is when I'm loading my game I notice it say 50 hidden items. Is that due to my inability to properly load mods or is that just some voodoo behind the scenes, and I should not expect to miss any of the intended features.

Im not sure if this has been brought up before or not, however it would be really awesome if you could cycle through the texture/model on the Nuclear Reactors, so that we could use the original skins/models from the old interstellar pack for the sized down Fission reactors. Dont get me wrong, the larger models look REALLY good sized down, in fact, I really enjoy the tweak scale on it, its one of the things I had always wished the original had, was smaller Vista engines and variable sized reactors.

But I miss some of the old models!

Until 64 bit takes off and memory stops being a critical issue, I doubt I will adding extra models just for the looks. Some old models may return in the future, but they would have a unique function, not simply a reskin.

There is a scaling bug. I have 1.25 reactor and thermal jet combo, and everything is fine in VAB, but in flight the nozzle is scaled down to 0.625 (thrust is fine, but visual size is small). Have not done further experiments yet.

I've heard reports of this, but I can't replicate it. Are you using other procedural mods? Have you tried removing the parts from the vessel in the vab and re-placing them?

Thanks for your response.

I'm a new Kerbonaut so I can't really say I know for sure... I have not unlocked the tech yet so I do not know what follow-on technologies there are. I only ask to make sure I did not install the mod incorrectly or anything. I've not experienced the Kraken yet (yay! also jinxing myself)

An additional, yet related, question is when I'm loading my game I notice it say 50 hidden items. Is that due to my inability to properly load mods or is that just some voodoo behind the scenes, and I should not expect to miss any of the intended features.

The hidden stuff during loading is module manager doing strange dark magics behind the scenes. Don't worry about it.

As for your tree issue, I am going to assume that you have installed the latest version. In which case, I am going to tell you to re-install the latest version. :P

There was problem with the tech tree that has been corrected since .12.0.

If that doesn't solve the issue, let me know. :)

I installed the mod, and clicked update the tree on the upper left. But still, it won't let me load a tree. It just says --choose tree-- and nothing else happens. I can load stock to the right, but I don't get any options when I click the bar.

Choose the kspi tree, click them small button that says load.

- - - Updated - - -

science mode, right? :P

No, it's happening to me in Career mode. I feel stupid, I'm sure I'm just missing something. This IS my first attempt at using interstellar.

Until 64 bit takes off and memory stops being a critical issue, I doubt I will adding extra models just for the looks. Some old models may return in the future, but they would have a unique function, not simply a reskin.

FractalUK's idea in making the smaller fusion reactors look different seemed to be that the big ones are tokamaks, which work better at huge sizes, and the small ones are laser/inertial reactor designs which are theoretically much easier to scale down. I get that extra models cause memory issues, but having a different type of reactor for small sizes does add an extra touch of the future-realism KSPI is known for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.