[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

you could also have the sabre precoolers work as actively cooled atmospheric radiator's with a tweakable switch for going from super cooling liquids to a passive system (super cooling liquid would require coolant tanks but be shared between between all sabre engines.) Just a thought.

Also maybe look at adding a scramjet to the pack?

you could also have the sabre precoolers work as actively cooled atmospheric radiator's with a tweakable switch for going from super cooling liquids to a passive system (super cooling liquid would require coolant tanks but be shared between between all sabre engines.) Just a thought.

I think that would require new code to make work properly. Maybe something to consider in the future but not right now. Making the precooler a good heat sync/radiator might be an idea though.

Also maybe look at adding a scramjet to the pack?

I'm not adding any new parts to the pack. I think bac9 is busy enough trying to update the Mk2 parts :P I know there are mods out there that include scramjets, but I don't think it will happen any time soon here. Sorry...

@bac9 another question. We were wondering why you decided to use resgen to create compressed air for the compressed air thrusters. Was it just for the realism of having the resource being generated or was there another reason for it? We were wondering if we couldn't do away with it and just use intake air and electricity to make the thrusters work.

Edited by Flashblade

Will B9 be adjusted for the stock aerodynamic model or Ferram? or will it work with both?

My guess is that it will be designed for FAR, although stock may (possibly) be supported as it is more similar to NEAR now. Even then, that's a longshot from the look of it.

@bac9 another question. We were wondering why you decided to use resgen to create compressed air for the compressed air thrusters. Was it just for the realism of having the resource being generated or was there another reason for it? We were wondering if we couldn't do away with it and just use intake air and electricity to make the thrusters work.

As far as I remember, stock resource flow was broken in some way, necessitating resgen. Something about radially attached parts not receiving resources properly. I don't remember what it was exactly, it was a decision by Taverius and Snjo, I think.

Will B9 be adjusted for the stock aerodynamic model or Ferram? or will it work with both?

At this point you can use everything but the engines in FAR which still need the new curves applied. Everything else is already in a perfect working condition for FAR.

@bac9 I see, well I guess we are going to test whether this has been fixed at this point. One less dependency if possible, a good thing. :)

My guess is that it will be designed for FAR, although stock may (possibly) be supported as it is more similar to NEAR now. Even then, that's a longshot from the look of it.

Stock compatibility isn't far off either, wings and control surfaces already work for stock aero. Cargobays still need some work here and engines are in the same place as for FAR. :)

Edited by Flashblade

A little progress report here, today I adjusted the B9 techtree nodes where necessary and or logically and made some adjustments to the bulkhead profiles as was requested by blowfish. And @bac9 the RESGEN workaround is no longer necessary. The compressed air thrusters can now operate by directly consuming intake air and electricity. So scratch this dependency from the mod yay :cool:

All in all if everything is fine this scratches three bullet points from our to do list :)

i registered an account JUST to express my love of this mod in .90, and i GREATLY look forward to its updated iteration.... i literally check every day to see if the update is out lolz.

the models are superb, the textures are crisp, the parts are now a MUST HAVE in my catalog, and quite frankly i feel like an arm is missing from these parts being absent :(

(also im personally AMAZED that Squad didnt just include these beauties in retail and pay you fellas some dues for the badass work)

keep up the awesome work on updating these parts guys, i look forward to this packs triumphant return!

-Cyanide

i registered an account just to express my love of this mod in .90, and i greatly look forward to its updated iteration.... I literally check every day to see if the update is out lolz.

The models are superb, the textures are crisp, the parts are now a must have in my catalog, and quite frankly i feel like an arm is missing from these parts being absent :(

(also im personally amazed that squad didnt just include these beauties in retail and pay you fellas some dues for the badass work)

keep up the awesome work on updating these parts guys, i look forward to this packs triumphant return!

-cyanide

^^^this^^^

Well, we are down to three major things on the list (blowfish hasn't had time to update it yet) . The engine curves have to be done, cargo bays need drag cubes and intakes need to be adjusted, the last two both for stock Aero. The intake and engine adjustments are firmly in blowfishs ballpark and we haven't yet talked about who is going to take on the cargo bay drag cubes, but it is unlikely to be me since I am not much of a math-whizz to pull that off, so either blowfish does that one too or we might need some help there. That might take a bit of time since blowfish is also part of Advanced Jet Engines. Yeah this is pretty much where we are at, at the moment. :)

When 1.03 happens I might fiddle around a bit to balance parts if the behaviour of planes improves. As of now I don't really see any reason too when you can make a turn that is so tight with so many gs that you fly backwards instead of stalling horribly or ripping the plane to pieces.

Edited by Flashblade

Yeah, unfortunately I have finals this week and my thesis due the week after, so I'm a bit swamped right now. After doing some reading I understand how the drag cubes work more or less, and for our purposes it's mostly a question of copying the stock ones and changing some values.

Speaking of drag cubes, absolutely no understanding of their format or any math is required to do them for the cargo bays. Just get the auto-generated drag cubes of the identically sized non-hollow fuselage parts from PartDatabase.cfg and copy that into the cargo bay config, done. Hollow parts that are see-through on the stack axis get incorrect estimate of the cross section area, and pasting the drag cube values from another part is fixing that. No values have to be changed at all.

If you are feeling fancy, you can copy and replace only two specific sections in them, as only those are relevant. I think it was third and fourth vector, but I'm not sure. I think NathanKell posted about that on the forum recently.

Edited by bac9

@bac9 oh okay that means I can do at least some of these updates. Unfortunately not all of your cargo bays have non-hollow equivalents. The s2 wide 6m is unique for example.

@blowfish good luck with your finals and thesis :)

Took me forever to find an answer for why one of the best mod packs ever has not been updated in a long time. I am super excited to know your working on it now. FYI the problem I am having is that the connector nodes, in VAB, are flipped inside out. I can flip parts backwards and connect them inside out then rotate them back to place but that does not work for all parts, some want to connect to the side instead of going through the main body and so they can NEVER be connected. Aside from that, party on! I am also worried that when I connect them backwards then flip them over, the stats may still think its backwards and are messing up structural forces and stresses...

P.S. I registered today just so i could tell you my specific problem with B9. Can't wait to see it fixed...

Took me forever to find an answer for why one of the best mod packs ever has not been updated in a long time. I am super excited to know your working on it now. FYI the problem I am having is that the connector nodes, in VAB, are flipped inside out. I can flip parts backwards and connect them inside out then rotate them back to place but that does not work for all parts, some want to connect to the side instead of going through the main body and so they can NEVER be connected. Aside from that, party on! I am also worried that when I connect them backwards then flip them over, the stats may still think its backwards and are messing up structural forces and stresses...

P.S. I registered today just so i could tell you my specific problem with B9. Can't wait to see it fixed...

Well known problem with mods migrating to 1.0

Known issue. Fixed in the in-progress maintenance port, which can be accessed from my or Flashblade's signatures.