physical books vs. ebooks

rpayne88

Hard copy or ebook  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Hard copy or ebook

• Hard copy
    • ebook

Well, I'm p---ed off right about now. While scratching to reveal the online access code for one of my college textbooks, the paper tore and a SINGLE digit is illegible. This is why I prefer hard copies and hate electronic versions. I've never heard of an access code issue for a physical book.

So, what do you prefer; hard copies or ebooks.

I prefer e-books simply because I can have my entire library in one device, rather than take up the amount of space required for a bookshelf.

That said, e-books that require an activation code or a "subscription" aren't really all that great. I prefer my e-books to operate on the same level as physical books (ie: if it's mine, it's mine).

I love books, right now in my spare room I have roughly 2000+ of various types, that said because of my eyesight I've had to switch to E-books for ease of reading and lack eyestrain/headaches. If I try to read a standard paperback I'm forced to give up after about 10 min.

And yes DRM/E-books and the lawyer that thought THAT idea up should be tied to a cactus naked, smeared with chunky peanut butter and left to the tender mercies of rabid zombie squirrels.

Regards.

I don't mind so long as I can read the book. I do have a preference for hard copies (and in some cases it's better to have a hard copy), but the e-books on my Kindle Fire are very convenient and have passed many hours of what would otherwise have been boring train journeys.

depends on which is lighter. i have an old e-reader that weighs more than your typical paperback, so i like having a book in that case. then again if i was reading war and peace, i think i would use the e reader. newer e-readers dont have this issue though.

You can't get an e-book free from a library.

Where I live, you absolutely can rent e-books from your local library. All you need is a library card. Then go to the local library's website, pick out your book, type in your card number, and download. The book has an expiration date, either 2 weeks or 4 weeks, at which time it is no longer available to view on the pc through adobe. The next time you sync up your reader to the pc, it gets wiped from your personal library. I recently donated my entire home library to the local goodwill store. I really didn't see the need for hard copies anymore. They weren't doing anything for me but taking up space. I love my Nook!

Well, I'm p---ed off right about now. While scratching to reveal the online access code for one of my college textbooks, the paper tore and a SINGLE digit is illegible. This is why I prefer hard copies and hate electronic versions. I've never heard of an access code issue for a physical book.

So, what do you prefer; hard copies or ebooks.

The problem here is not with the e-book. The problem is with the crappy vendor that you bought the book from. If the vendor will not give you another access code, then you need to re-evaluate who you buy your books from.

Edited by Roadkill

I can, is it unusual for libraries to offer this?

More and more common.

Though as for myself, I hate ebooks. My library gets them from several sources, and each source has a different intialization procedure, and each of those can have variations based on the device on which you intend to read the ebook. Furthermore, as with anything to do with software, these processes are frequently changed so that you have to go back and figure out the basics all over again before proceeding. It's a pain just to stay up to date, without even trying to do new things. And the readers I've seen tend to have small screens, so you have to constantly flickflickflick through pages.

By contrast, paper books never need to be recharged, are harder to misplace, don't break if you drop them, smell good, and you're not denied access should they ever lose some digital record proving that you paid for it.

Nook charge lasts for about 1 month, can be set to any size print you need, is larger than most paperbacks, and will withstand rough handling, such as drops. Don't try to drop it from the top of a building or run over it with your car( I've done this with phones). Try carrying more than 20 books in your backpack. I've had my nook for 3 years now, and haven't lost a single copy of anything. I get my books from multiple sources, including the library, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon. All I need is an internet connection to get access to virtually any book ever written, I don't have to physically travel to a store. I have no response to the smell part, but that largely depends on where you take your books to read them.:wink:

I prefer real books, although I also use eBooks (for example as electronic compendiums for programming topics)

Big advantage of real books:

You can take them with you in the bath tub, without having to worry that your book gets destroyed when it accidentally comes into contact with water

I can, is it unusual for libraries to offer this?

I think what he means is that you need the piece of kit (which could be expensive, depending on how cheap you are) to get the book, whereas you can get a library card for free or a very small fee in most places.

As for the argument, I prefer physical over digital. I lose gadgetry all the time, I can't remember a single time that I lost a book. Also, in 10-15' of reading on an e-reader I'll usually get a headache, physical will only give me a headache if there's bad lighting. It's also nice to have something that a licensing change or hard/software glitch can't take away from me.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Both/either. Ebooks are really handy for recreational reading, but often suck for things like technical manuals and text books. I also prefer real books for reading to my kids (they're young). So I can see us having stuff on bookshelves for the foreseeable future at home, it's just that none of it will be fat novels like in the past. Those will all be on e-readers.

I think what he means is that you need the piece of kit (which could be expensive, depending on how cheap you are) to get the book, whereas you can get a library card for free or a very small fee in most places.

As for the argument, I prefer physical over digital. I lose gadgetry all the time, I can't remember a single time that I lost a book. Also, in 10-15' of reading on an e-reader I'll usually get a headache, physical will only give me a headache if there's bad lighting. It's also nice to have something that a licensing change or hard/software glitch can't take away from me.

No, that's what I meant. It's just not offered here. I've had bad experiences with the old sony e-readers.

Both/either. Ebooks are really handy for recreational reading, but often suck for things like technical manuals and text books.

Funny, I'm of the complete opposite opinion. When it comes to sitting down and reading a book front to back, I prefer hard copies. It may be because its easier on the eyes, but it just feels more 'right' reading a real book. When it comes to maintenance manuals or anything I'm just trying to reference (and I have to do a lot of that in my line of work) it's a lot easier to just pop open the electronic manuals and do a ctrl+f for the torque spec or diagram I'm looking for, instead of going through the wall of manuals in the back of the shop, most the size of college textbooks. Keeps the oil and hyd fluid out of 'em too!

All ebook wherever possible here.

I was resistant to it at first because I like paper books and their advantages (never out of charge, no DRM, the "feel" is better). Once I tried it though, the advantages quickly overpowered the disadvantages for me: Having a library available anywhere, bookmark never falls out, searchable, reading on my phone means I can read any time I have to wait so I get more reading done.

Ebooks are much more convenient than physical books. I can get ebooks anytime anywhere in the world and read them on my phone, while physical books are hard to find and even harder to carry with me.

I used to have a separate ebook reader, but I rarely used it after phone screens got good enough. When it finally broke down, I didn't replace it, because my phone battery easily lasts for an intercontinental flight in airplane mode. The only reason why I might buy another ebook reader would be a long trek in an environment, where solar chargers can't be relied on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.