Option to screenshot as jpg.

On stream: the default screenshot are jpg.

On offline playing: ... please make it jpg. (Or at least given option for it)

It really save the Earth!

1) You save bandwidth of internet.

2) You save electricity for the 'entire link from upload to download, and view from countless times from countless viewer on countless forum/post/link etc.)

3) You save your own times. You save the others times.

Give me a solid reason why it must be in PNG!

Having to manually convert everything to jpeg is a major pain in the arse.

You don't have to. If you upload your images to imgur, all scaled versions come out as jpg.

Besides, there are powerful batch convertors such as irfan view or FastStone.

There is no significant reason to demand jpg over png that I can reasonably think of.

The "saving the earth" concern is so tiny as to be literally negligible, as are the electricity and time concerns. PNGs are not significantly larger than a JPG, and are lossless.

I literally cannot see why this is a concern at all.

There is no significant reason to demand jpg over png that I can reasonably think of.

The "saving the earth" concern is so tiny as to be literally negligible, as are the electricity and time concerns. PNGs are not significantly larger than a JPG, and are lossless.

I literally cannot see why this is a concern at all.

The JPEGs I've been posting are about 1/10th the size of the default PNGs, actually (about 50-200KB vs 500-1,500KB). And I'm using them because I was directly asked to do so; even today, not everyone has broadband.

What does it cost anyone to let the player choose their default screenshot format? The game can obviously do it, as the Steam situation demonstrates. Sure, the "save the Earth" factor is hyperbole, but download times on dodgy connections are a real issue (for others, not me personally; my broadband copes fine either way).

you can be happy that the game doesn't produce bmps as many other games do and that the lag produced by writing a png is minimal, compared to other formats. This is really a first world problem.

If you want to save space, then do a batch-convert of your screenshots folder, hundreds of free applications support that.

Sure, give the people the option, but then i want the option to tiff, tga,raw,exr etc. etc. and an option for a z-depth picture so i can create better DOF effects in postprocessing.

Edited by ximrm

I agree that adding an option to save the screenshot as jpg would not hurt anyone. I don't see it as a high priority for developers, though.

Saving the Earth is really no concern here, saving your own upload time and perhaps data transfer fees definitely are.

Till there is such option, I suggest to use one of batch image format converters. They're all reasonably simple to use, you can even choose level of compresion/image quality loss and you can do it for entire albums. It is also possible to set up a batch/shell script that will convert your images using set quality settings through simple drag&drop.

PNG forever! Jpeg needs to die as a screenshot format, IMO.

Now, if we could press a key to make a five- or ten-second animated .gif automagically...

Jpeg needs to die but it has damn long roots. Pity jpeg2000 did not spread enough, much better format IMO.

People who make animated gifs from videos should be prosecuted.

For short clips, .gif is superior IMO as loading a player would likely take longer than the whole video length. For anything longer than a handful of seconds you have my agreement.

It's not about seconds. Majority of videogifs take way more space than a simple player would.

I just tried to find a web video player and it takes up about 300 kB. Few animated gifs are smaller than that.

I'm sure that there are small, lightweight players available, but the majority of video content out there seems to go to youtube, whose player is not so lightweight. You're definitely right about animated gifs getting obnoxiously large quickly, which is why I would limit the time and likely the resolution as well.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic so I'm inclined to agree to disagree about it.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, I think. The fact that nobody really cares about animated gifs is IMO nice evidence of how cheap the bandwidth today really is. There are multiple animated picture formats available providing smaller file size and greater image quality than gifs but none of them is supported by all major browsers.

You want the developers to add in an option to select between JPG and PNG screenshot formats? Sure, why don't you just go ahead and pay for the wages spent in designing the now selection option, implementing the selection option, testing the selection option and for the increased time in building a release from this extra added bit of design and code. Although it may not seem much, it could potentially be one factor of many as a reason for squad to increase what they are currently charging to purchase KSP. Besides, what would you rather? An option to save your screenshots as PNG or JPG, or cargo bays. I mean, come one. Just convert the images yourself. Nuff said.

You want the developers to add in an option to select between JPG and PNG screenshot formats? Sure, why don't you just go ahead and pay for the wages spent in designing the now selection option, implementing the selection option, testing the selection option and for the increased time in building a release from this extra added bit of design and code. Although it may not seem much, it could potentially be one factor of many as a reason for squad to increase what they are currently charging to purchase KSP. Besides, what would you rather? An option to save your screenshots as PNG or JPG, or cargo bays. I mean, come one. Just convert the images yourself. Nuff said.

Yes, but I would think that this would be an insignificant amount of work on the devs' part. I'd be amazed if the code to do .jpg screenshots in Unity isn't already freely available somewhere and could just about be copied and pasted into the game with very little hassle. Very simple compared to modeling, programming, and whatever else is involved with creating new parts.

Yes, but I would think that this would be an insignificant amount of work on the devs' part. I'd be amazed if the code to do .jpg screenshots in Unity isn't already freely available somewhere and could just about be copied and pasted into the game with very little hassle. Very simple compared to modeling, programming, and whatever else is involved with creating new parts.

Given that this is already possible in the Steam version, that's a fairly safe bet.

Using a 3rd party program for screenshots is, IMO, the superior choice here.

They offer many more features compared to what devs would implement in the forseeable future, and allows squad to continue work on other aspects of the game. So why demand Squad do a rework of something that already is available for free?

I myself have used a few programs for this since BF2 came out, where taking a screenshot caused a 1/2sec stutter that got me killed too often. Since then Ive moved onto this one:

http://getgreenshot.org/

I havnt tried the imgur plugins or anything but it has what I (and you) want: selectable output types, lag free capture, and rapid fire captures. And of course I love open-source freeware.

PNGs are not significantly larger than JPG. Yeah, right to some extend.

Try multiplying both to daily internet 'users'. Each time the particular PNGs and JPGs views. I will skipped the rest of my point. Below are my example of calculation. Let say the difference between JPG and PNG are about 10k. (Extreme low, normally about 100k).

Daily internet user = 2,802,478,934 people (http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm)

and 10kbytes per picture. = 20,802,487,934kbytes of difference.

19 Gigabytes per picture per day. How many PNG does this forum have? How many times each picture view per day?

For those who don't care about the download and upload bandwidth, because they are the world 30% 'much richer' people, please consider the other 70% less fortunate people that do not have broadband internet like you.

This is a [Suggestion Section] of the forum. You don't have the privileges to act on behalf the developer on how they are going to spend their time on development. Cut the talk about how you concern about SQUAD spend their times to develop the next release. Your are as selfish as want the developer to deliver faster on the game updates so you can enjoy it.

And skip on telling on how to convert PNG to JPG. I have knowledge on how to do a lost-less Gif animation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.