Option to screenshot as jpg.

You forget that there are 70% of the world are still using CRT monitor.

[Citation Required]

One simple question, your so-called smartphone, by turning the brightness higher means consuming more power or the other ways round? LED work the same. Black does save some degree of energy.
Changing the brightness != pixels colored black.

At the same brightness levels, a fully black (not asleep, but on and lit but all black) screen will use the same electricity as a fully white screen. The black pixels just block your eyes from seeing that light.

As I don't use a smartphone, I cannot verify nor disprove Sirine's claims, but that doesn't make Sirine correct in any case.

Again, environmental concerns is a really silly justification to change an image file format.

Thanks for the effort, but what I actually get from that download is an SSM folder that contains a Gamedata folder that contains another SSM folder that contains nothing. The source is there in the top level folder, but it looks like the compiled version is missing.

Well, I'm not sure what was really going on there, but I've refreshed the archive and everything I can do to check it says there are things in the GameData/SSM folder. I'm going to blame this on trying to release something from Windows. :P

I wouldn't mind seeing a jpeg option. I've been slowly knocking together a gallery script (warning, WIP) for DMP screenshots, and the amount of reduction in disk space after the pictures have been through the conversion script, over storing everything as PNG is oh so lovely when you only have 50GB of HDD space to stick it all on.

That said, for pictures with very little entropy (like for instance, lots of flat colour, or cartoon-like pictures with few gradients), PNG can actually give a smaller filesize than a reasonably-compressed jpeg. It's just very rare.

The JPEGs I've been posting are about 1/10th the size of the default PNGs, actually (about 50-200KB vs 500-1,500KB). And I'm using them because I was directly asked to do so; even today, not everyone has broadband.

The problem is not that the game spits out comparatively high-quality screenshots. It's pretty difficult to make up for lost quality later on, after all. The problem is the people who post them in large numbers without cropping of further compression. Worst offender so far: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86202-Better-SSTO-Spaceplane-Challenge-%280-23-5-0-24%29-Fin%21?p=1271709&viewfull=1#post1271709 (beware, that forum post clocks in at about 100MB).

The kind of people who just reaches into their screenshot folder and uploads the stuff as is can *NOT* be expected to notice a "output as jpg" button. They either don't know, don't care, or can't be bothered. I've long given up on educating people about this. Making lower quality the default doesn't seem to be a good idea, either. Personally, I've learned which sites and subforums to avoid, and just suck it up when I run into it anyway.

The problem is not that the game spits out comparatively high-quality screenshots. It's pretty difficult to make up for lost quality later on, after all. The problem is the people who post them in large numbers without cropping of further compression. Worst offender so far: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86202-Better-SSTO-Spaceplane-Challenge-%280-23-5-0-24%29-Fin%21?p=1271709&viewfull=1#post1271709 (beware, that forum post clocks in at about 100MB).

The kind of people who just reaches into their screenshot folder and uploads the stuff as is can *NOT* be expected to notice a "output as jpg" button. They either don't know, don't care, or can't be bothered. I've long given up on educating people about this. Making lower quality the default doesn't seem to be a good idea, either. Personally, I've learned which sites and subforums to avoid, and just suck it up when I run into it anyway.

Think there's any chance of getting the mods to tweak the forum to automagically whack a spoiler tag in front of any post above a certain size threshold?

I would really loathe .jpg instead of .png. Jpg is nice for unimportant internet stuff, but png is generally of a bit higher quality. Talk of environment and space is silly, none of those things are influenced in relevant ways.

The main problem seems to be the image size on the forums and that is a matter of proper rules and enforcement, not changing KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.