Show off your Interplanetary Ships!

Hey All! After surfing the forums for a while, I noticed the spacecraft exchange was, well, lacking in interplanetary ships. There are many great space planes, boat, and replica craft threads, but I wanted to make something new. Introducing, THE INTERPLANETARY SHIP SHOWCASE! Here you can show off you're interplanetary vessels, whether they be the first mission to Duna or the 300th colony voyage to Laythe. I know it says Stock Craft but you can submit ships with mods (as long as the ship itself isn't made entirely of modded parts).

You can include download links to you're ships in your posts if you want.

Links are now fixed!

Ship DataBase:

SelectHalfling's Duna 1

Overfloater's Universal no-assembly-required Ship

Roflcopterkklol's Goliath, Titan, and Command Beetle

Rune's Medusa and Queen Kerman

Signo's Customizable Delivery Ship Contains SP+ Parts

Rune's Nodachi LR Scout

astropapi1's Eve Ship

Scarecrow88's Duna Ship

ShadowZone's The Joolishka

parameciumkid's Julia

Techpriest93's Interplanetary Ships Contains Many Mods

Edited by SelectHalfling0
Updates/Links

To start things off, here is my Duna 1 Vessel!

Assembled from 3 sections in orbit it includes:

-A Nuclear Drive Stage with an Orange Tank

-A hab module that parachutes down to Duna

-A lander that lands near the hab and after 60~ days returns to the drive stage

MyicuBp.png?2

Edited by SelectHalfling0
derp spelling

I'm pretty sure there was a thread like this o_o but anyway...

For landing on many planets with a single launch:

(I landed on 5 Jool's moons, Duna, Ike, Mun & Minmus with it just now xD)

SYMeZM3.jpg

gKtTnNf.jpg

baxO2R5.jpg

Craft file is in my repository V V V

Edited by Overfloater

These two will go interplanetary after refueling in orbit, They were actually designed to be single stage to mun and return just to see if a space plane could to it without refueling. really they are more rocket than plane, you can take the control surfaces off and fly the "engine" to the mun and back lol.

tataATq.jpg

Other than that, the Command beetle is pretty much the only other thing i have designed capable of going interplanetary, Built to be a long term mobile base capable of landing on most of the planets/muns, carries 7 kerbals, a science lab and equipment and is as fast as most rovers despite being 200 tonnes.

May end up being a case of needing to refuel before going interplanetary i have not tested that yet, but i think duna should be very doable without refueling considering it is not designed to ever come back (Needs a rescue vessel for the kerbals)

LJHD7p2.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

You know? I was looking at the Showcase of showcases thread (please Mods, a sticky for that right now! It's essential!), and there actually isn't one, at least listed there. So it's about as good a reason as any to post these:

The Medusa-Class Transport, with various loads and configurations. The last one carries all things necessary to build a base on Moho, BTW.

VBdiKSr.png

9CYKBzW.png

r4b8NN9.png

And the somewhat rusty Queen Kerman cruise ship. O-G O-pascals lounge included. Strict spacesuit etiquette!

oGjSWWg.jpg

MNgyw2E.jpg

Now inigma should make sure this get archived so we don't have it popping again in two months under a different name, shouldn't he? That way we get a repository of cool ships easy to look for.

Rune. But yeah, I lack a serious exploration-class rocket easy to use. To the to-do list!

Hi, this is my ship. It can be set up as u wish with the different landers, rovers and SSTOs u might need. This is one of the heavier possible configs (2 rovers, 1 SSTO, 1 Ion pod lander, 2 Ion chairs, 1 5-crew reentry module, 1 62t Eve proof main lander, 7 rcs tugs, cupola command bridge). I used just SP+ as a part add on.

AQ8Jnnb.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Signo
Added album

I actually forgot this!

POjhEPT.png

It's cool because it has the same footprint as my standard orange drop tank, so I can take it up on a Nodachi (My Big Red SSTO) and back down when I'm done with it for 100% reuse. The cute little lander nested there can actually make Duna and back to orbit, so this covers most places, since nuclear delta-v is, as you see, quite ridiculous (ok, perhaps Moho is a one-way trip). But you could always add side-tanks...

Rune. Can't believe I forgot my latest! It almost fits the bill as something easy to use.

Edited by Rune

• 4 months later...
Hey All! After surfing the forums for a while, I noticed the spacecraft exchange was, well, lacking in interplanetary ships. There are many great space planes, boat, and replica craft threads, but I wanted to make something new. Introducing, THE INTERPLANETARY SHIP SHOWCASE! Here you can show off you're interplanetary vessels, whether they be the first mission to Duna or the 300th colony voyage to Laythe. I know it says Stock Craft but you can submit ships with mods (as long as the ship itself isn't made entirely of modded parts).

You can include download links to you're ships in your posts if you want.

Ship DataBase:

SelectHalfling's Duna 1-8

Overfloater's Universal no-assembly-required Ship

Roflcopterkklol's Goliath, Titan, and Command Beetle

Rune's Medusa and Queen Kerman

Signo's Customizable Delivery Ship Contains SP+ Parts

Rune's Nodachi LR Scout

astropapi1's Eve Ship

I want these ships but I dont have access :(

I think my Jool-5 craft can fit in here. One launch, five Jool moons and back to Kerbin. Currently in progress, I am releasing video episodes about my progress here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109166-Journey-to-Jool-a-video-series-about-a-brave-crew-of-5-flying-to-5-moons-and-%28hopefully%29-back

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Wow, so many good ideas! I will have to dig up my old screenshots and post them!

AF7B26D702C8CE39968B9108F3938846E10DEF8C

A Very, very light weight design, that was a test bed for science. I like the picture.

17C86BE84869E1592D8354E1CA3B83A36701F713188FC339A83F92B06C7DB672CF5D6F70E4BA5301

6DB788E77815C017A68D3A9F1146C72D29CE1A85

This was built around an idea of using segmented ships, with the brand new jumbo docking ports at the time. I also remember that in simulated "low gravity" tests that it would want to curl back in on itself, like the bottem dockingport didnt exist in this dimension. I think it was fixed soon after, but lost the savefile a LONG time ago. I have a feeling that it would of worked though, so I thought the idea was worth a mention, the whole double docking collars and all.

I had a few other more "ambitious" ideas, but they never made it beyond the vab, even for testing because the computer started melting while building.

OOPS, just realized this was for stock craft! Well, I run a stock game right now so I will edit my pictures once I make a few interplanetary crafts then!

Edited by Techpriest93
OOPS

Wow, so many good ideas! I will have to dig up my old screenshots and post them!

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3299189563678458667/AF7B26D702C8CE39968B9108F3938846E10DEF8C/

A Very, very light weight design, that was a test bed for science. I like the picture.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3299194632517835879/17C86BE84869E1592D8354E1CA3B83A36701F713/http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3299194632517833855/188FC339A83F92B06C7DB672CF5D6F70E4BA5301/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/3299194632517835044/6DB788E77815C017A68D3A9F1146C72D29CE1A85/

This was built around an idea of using segmented ships, with the brand new jumbo docking ports at the time. I also remember that in simulated "low gravity" tests that it would want to curl back in on itself, like the bottem dockingport didnt exist in this dimension. I think it was fixed soon after, but lost the savefile a LONG time ago. I have a feeling that it would of worked though, so I thought the idea was worth a mention, the whole double docking collars and all.

I had a few other more "ambitious" ideas, but they never made it beyond the vab, even for testing because the computer started melting while building.

OOPS, just realized this was for stock craft! Well, I run a stock game right now so I will edit my pictures once I make a few interplanetary crafts then!

Don't worry, your crafts are great even if they have mods. Just if you include a download link, include a list of mods used.

Hand on heart: you must have been watching "Sunshine" a lot, haven't you?

Nah, only saw it once after noticing that a lot of Kerballers were talking about it. I drew more inspiration from the designs I saw in Space Engine, but for the most part the shape was dictated by necessity: I needed (okay, pretended to need) a meteoroid shield that was as big as the widest part of the ship (or it would be useless), and I found through tests that if I wanted to make the best use of the cylindrical volume I had, it was wisest to put the engines in the back where they wouldn't blast other parts with exhaust; this in turn dictated that the fuel be near the engines and the lighter crew areas be at the front for structural stability, etc., etc.

Edited by parameciumkid
somehow my post had a bunch of HTML tags in it o_O

• 3 weeks later...

My first attempt at an MTV-type craft. It'll be destined for Duna but the idea is to make it modular. I'm working on the design now with tests to the Mun; I'm using the near-future packages after dumping Interstellar, so I'm mainly learning the engines at this point. Lessons learned thus far: TWR is too small and I didn't bring enough RCS. The craft is more stable with the underslung lander than I expected.

AA6A803603C221A4100AAD92B657286CE88F8550

6678B75EE15C94B8160F2BBD836F26A88D4485D3

It's my first craft post in this thread... thoughts, comments?

My first attempt at an MTV-type craft. It'll be destined for Duna but the idea is to make it modular. I'm working on the design now with tests to the Mun; I'm using the near-future packages after dumping Interstellar, so I'm mainly learning the engines at this point. Lessons learned thus far: TWR is too small and I didn't bring enough RCS. The craft is more stable with the underslung lander than I expected.

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38615865308652223/AA6A803603C221A4100AAD92B657286CE88F8550/

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/38615865308652354/6678B75EE15C94B8160F2BBD836F26A88D4485D3/

It's my first craft post in this thread... thoughts, comments?

I made the same thing using stock parts a while ago for my Duna Constellation mission.

F1CED7835B0B5AF042E9027B7923249F2281BD0D

It is complete with a removable center tank. This baby took six kerbals to Duna and back.

71440704A7BFAEF1489ABE6F3B7A9543EA226433

I read through your mission when I was considering building something like this. Your SPR is awesome!

I started out trying to build an interstellar ship with a modular design. I saw the MTV with its interchangeable layout and figured I'd try to model if off of that. Whereas with the MTV plan the lander will be shipped in a separate cargo vessel, I'm going to try to build a self-contained interplanetary vessel, hence the underslung lander. MTV with a kerbal twist I suppose. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.