KSP first? Reddit user CuriousMetaphor's EVE return, squared.

Majorjim!

"A small deep-space correction burn"

Several enormous pillars of flame

But yeah, that is pretty epic. I've seen Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin-Eve-Kerbin done with rendezvous, but to do it without is something else.

Not impressed. Landing sites were around 8,000m. Let me know when it's done from sea level (<100m).

I expect we will be expecting your Eve2 submission shortly?

That is not to say criticism requires experience, but at least give feats you consider more impressive to serve as contrast, or you risk sounding arrogant and belittling.

Edited by NFUN

Not impressed. Landing sites were around 8,000m. Let me know when it's done from sea level (<100m).

Tough crowd.

Eve ascent is one of the game's big challenges, even from high altitude it's not exactly easy. To do it twice, without refueling or docking, with a return to Kerbin's surface in between, is simply amazing. Pity I just repped metaphor for a land-on-all-four-moons-of-Jupiter RSS mission and can't rep again for this one. Serious KSP skills.

I expect we will be expecting your Eve2 submission shortly?

That is not to say criticism requires experience, but at least give feats you consider more impressive to serve as contrast, or you risk sounding arrogant and belittling.

When I get time. I've said it before, the first 8000dV Eve is easy, it's the next 5,000 that's a pain. Maybe I'm an Eve snob, but landing at the highest point on Eve and returning is the equivalent of being air lifted to the Hillary Step, and then claiming I climbed Mt Everest.

I did build a two man lander can that launched from KSC and ascended from Eve sea level in a single go - and yes, it's documented on here.

Because it is very easy to precisely land on that specific spot on that one specific mountain? :-l

edit: ...Well actually I do recall reading someone's post, saying if you set periapsis to 80km, you land exactly under it.

I recently tested it on a 100km orbit, and it pretty much worked. Perhaps it is easy after all :-p

Edited by Overfloater

When I get time. I've said it before, the first 8000dV Eve is easy, it's the next 5,000 that's a pain.

You realize that the ship packed 8km/s for the ascent twice, so that's 16km/s there. Plus whatever was required to transfer to Kerbin, land, ascend again, and transfer back to Eve. And then transfer back to Kerbin and land after all that.

This is way harder than a sea-level ascent.

Impressive, however,I do find the use of only a command seat for these things to be a cheat. Might as well just use a probe... I'd like to see him do it with a proper lander can or pod

Impressive, however,I do find the use of only a command seat for these things to be a cheat. Might as well just use a probe... I'd like to see him do it with a proper lander can or pod

Possible, but would take a rocket over six times as large, over 40,000 tons.

You realize that the ship packed 8km/s for the ascent twice, so that's 16km/s there. Plus whatever was required to transfer to Kerbin, land, ascend again, and transfer back to Eve. And then transfer back to Kerbin and land after all that.

This is way harder than a sea-level ascent.

I didn't even realize it was a command chair, I've had a 19000+dV lander can vehicle in the past. Had it been with a command chair that would have been more than enough - and there were no jet engines.

I'm not doggin' on the guy and saying his craft and mission suck. I'm just not impressed by any high elevation and command chair craft. I know I got dismissed in the "Lightest Eve Lander" thread by saying the same thing, but a command chair at 8,000m just makes me go all McKayla Maroney regardless of what else went on.

Edited by EdFred

I didn't even realize it was a command chair, I've had a 19000+dV lander can vehicle in the past. Had it been with a command chair that would have been more than enough - and there were no jet engines.

I'm not doggin' on the guy and saying his craft and mission suck. I'm just not impressed by any high elevation and command chair craft. I know I got dismissed in the "Lightest Eve Lander" thread by saying the same thing, but a command chair at 8,000m just makes me go all McKayla Maroney regardless of what else went on.

Sounds very impressive, got a pic?