[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

you CANNOT use any non-1.1.2 wheels in 1.1.2. you must only use the stock squad parts. any other wheels will cause severe collision problems, and possibly catastrophic failure.

On 5/28/2016 at 2:03 PM, Steel Dragon said:

How are you all launching your planes? Ever Plane I make (or any thing for that mater) with landing gear or wheels explodes as soon as i load it from the SPH? Has anyone found a fix for this? I have only found one wheel that works ever since 1.1 and 1.2. If there is a fix I don't know it please help.

The above poster has it right: make sure you are using wheels that have been updated to 1.1 minimum. Wheels prior to that will generally just explode. Which modded wheels are you using? I hate to suggest it, but you could always try stock wheels. However, if the mod has been updated to the new wheel module, it should work fine (but very few have).

Edited by Deimos Rast

On 5/28/2016 at 8:10 PM, Deimos Rast said:

which engines? If you're looking for engine effects, an easy route to go is RealPlume, especially RealPlume Stock Configs. Would be most excellent if you could get engine plumes made, but you'd probably need to decide on a stable number of engines first.

As for a guy to talk to, you could try CobaltWolf of BlueDog Design Bureau fame - he does rockets mainly (I think), but he's incredibly knowledgeable and super friendly/helpful - and he seems to know everyone. I don't know that he does space planes much, but I'm sure he knows someone who does. Best I can come up with. Oh, and maybe few of the bigger names from the FAR craft repository forum thread . A lot of spaceplane addicts seem to hang out there.

That's all I can come up with at 5am on no sleep. :wink:

---edit---

A better guy to talk to might be blowfish of B9 and AJE fame. He does do Aviation stuff and things, to put it mildly.

Cheers mate! The engines in question were removed in 1.5, basically engine pods.

1 hour ago, Deimos Rast said:

The above poster has it right: make sure you are using wheels that have been updated to 1.1 minimum. Wheels prior to that will generally just explode. Which modded wheels are you using? I hate to suggest it, but you could always try stock wheels. However, if the mod has been updated to the new wheel module, it should work fine (but very few have).

My issue is not with mod wheels. Actually I have only found one wheel (moded) that works. All stock wheels and landing legs cause the violent collision effect to happen. I think I will wipe my KSP and reinstall that may fix it

@Steel Dragon

Odd.

1. Which legs/wheels do work for you? If stock wheels don't work for you, then something strange is going on. See #5.
  2. Are just OPT parts affected?
  3. Are you running KSP version 1.1.2.1260? If you have Steam, try Verifying the Cache (Right Click on the Game > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache).
  4. Are you part clipping the wheels at all?
  5. Otherwise, a log would help (read here if unsure which log). You could also post a picture of your craft and/or craft file for bonus points.:P

I suspect something more is at work here. A clean install wouldn't be a bad idea. If #2 is true, then stali79 would definitely be interested.

31 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

@Steel Dragon

Odd.

1. Which legs/wheels do work for you? If stock wheels don't work for you, then something strange is going on. See #5.
  2. Are just OPT parts affected?
  3. Are you running KSP version 1.1.2.1260? If you have Steam, try Verifying the Cache (Right Click on the Game > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache).
  4. Are you part clipping the wheels at all?
  5. Otherwise, a log would help (read here if unsure which log). You could also post a picture of your craft and/or craft file for bonus points.:P

I suspect something more is at work here. A clean install wouldn't be a bad idea. If #2 is true, then stali79 would definitely be interested.

I would like to also ask if your gear is mismatched level wise. I get the bouncy boom of death IF there is too much difference in wheel heights. Try to keep them relatively level to each other on the ground. 2 of these screenshots are of the landing gear, I got a boom when I loaded the plane with the medium gear, but no boom when it loads with the large. What this says to me is that the closer you have the wheels to being the same height, the less likely of a boom happening. The other 3 screenshots are of the stupidly OP nacelles I am trying to get working correctly.

Edited by stali79

Ok more info. The only wheel I have found that allows me to roll and or not explode instantly is the karbou module wheel. That comes from the awesome rover mod with the same name. it is a really cool wheel that retracts. Other than that every other leg or wheel has the collider issue.

Community maintained at least until K.Yeon gets back, yes.

As it is now, it's a compilation of parts from the various official releases of OPT, re-named and/or re-compiled so that they work in 1.1.2 and with each other. Landing gears have been deliberately excluded from the community maintained pack because 1.0.x wheels and landing legs don't work in 1.1.x; other than that, this semi-unofficial pack has nearly all parts from the official releases.

Addendum -- I call it "semi-unofficial" instead of "unofficial" because it is an unofficial update to the mod, but it has the mod author's blessing -- to the point where he put the Space Dock link in the OP

Edited by King Something
addendum

3 hours ago, Table said:

So, this is community mantained now?

Rlly hyped for the Valkyrie Shuttle btw, it's gonna be huge.

Yeah i am working to keep everything up to date and functional.

3 hours ago, Steel Dragon said:

Ok more info. The only wheel I have found that allows me to roll and or not explode instantly is the karbou module wheel. That comes from the awesome rover mod with the same name. it is a really cool wheel that retracts. Other than that every other leg or wheel has the collider issue.

Do you have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed?

Any chance of getting some ablator in these parts? be nice to have a sheilded nose and belly like with a real Shuttle, Slapping tons of radiators on just isnt cutting it :( 

Before its mentioned, i come in so shallow, it takes ages to get into the atmo, nice and slow, and i still loose most of the shuttle. 

1 hour ago, SaltyJ said:

Any chance of getting some ablator in these parts? be nice to have a sheilded nose and belly like with a real Shuttle, Slapping tons of radiators on just isnt cutting it :( 

Before its mentioned, i come in so shallow, it takes ages to get into the atmo, nice and slow, and i still loose most of the shuttle. 

How shallow? And what is your angle of attack? (hint, it should be 35-40 degrees pitch up)

Because these parts really don't need ablator and that would change their reentry profile to that of a capsule or pod instead of being space planes.

I haven't lost an OPT plane yet, not even in RSS and with Deadly Reentry. (although, DRE changes the way the part works to be more space plane-ey and might be better than the stock method...)

On 28/05/2016 at 5:23 PM, Rushligh said:

you CANNOT use any non-1.1.2 wheels in 1.1.2. you must only use the stock squad parts. any other wheels will cause severe collision problems, and possibly catastrophic failure.

I learned this the hard way with firespitter's wheels bouncing off the runway

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

How shallow? And what is your angle of attack? (hint, it should be 35-40 degrees pitch up)

Because these parts really don't need ablator and that would change their reentry profile to that of a capsule or pod instead of being space planes.

I haven't lost an OPT plane yet, not even in RSS and with Deadly Reentry. (although, DRE changes the way the part works to be more space plane-ey and might be better than the stock method...)

Pitch up from the artificial horizon, or from the atmosphere (Best Guess).

Im using SSRSS which resizes RSS to Stockish Size. Space starts at 100km on a kerbin sized earth in this mod, so its a bit interesting to say the least.

Pitched at 20 degrees, the nose heats up and my active radiators save it about 80% of the time, pitched at 40 degrees and the whole plane heats up, my engines explode, then the wings, then the rest of the craft. Interestingly enough, the cockpit often survives, and i have added chutes to it. but loosing 90% of the shuttle for a pod landing with shuttle cockpit is a bit....sad.

Notice the heat shields i have added to the underside to keep the cockpit alive. Suppose i could do that to the whole shuttle....

C8ED99B47804137C88FB530CFC8CD1A11932D765

6D24EDEE49E3698CACF3A69DE591DC850F95F951

21 minutes ago, SaltyJ said:

Pitch up from the artificial horizon, or from the atmosphere (Best Guess).

Im using SSRSS which resizes RSS to Stockish Size. Space starts at 100km on a kerbin sized earth in this mod, so its a bit interesting to say the least.

Pitched at 20 degrees, the nose heats up and my active radiators save it about 80% of the time, pitched at 40 degrees and the whole plane heats up, my engines explode, then the wings, then the rest of the craft. Interestingly enough, the cockpit often survives, and i have added chutes to it. but loosing 90% of the shuttle for a pod landing with shuttle cockpit is a bit....sad.

Pitched up from your velocity vector. That's what angle of attack means. I see you have MechJeb installed. It can tell you what your angle of attack is. I forget if it does by default or if I set up a window to do that for me.

If you use the SmartASS/ACS then you can use +SVEL and specify the pitch there. 

I can only guess at what kind of reentry profile you'd need with a world like you describe but it can't be that harsh to reenter there. Probably set a periapsis of 40-50 km, but that's just a guess.

3 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Pitched up from your velocity vector. That's what angle of attack means. I see you have MechJeb installed. It can tell you what your angle of attack is. I forget if it does by default or if I set up a window to do that for me.

If you use the SmartASS/ACS then you can use +SVEL and specify the pitch there. 

I can only guess at what kind of reentry profile you'd need with a world like you describe but it can't be that harsh to reenter there. Probably set a periapsis of 40-50 km, but that's just a guess.

Thanks! you Ladies and Gents are so helpful.

Also, you're quite possibly overheating because the atmosphere is now Kerbin-sized, which means that you're now fighting a much more compacted atmosphere. Like the difference between broth and soup. Try reducing heat settings. 70-80% heating effects might compensate enough.

41 minutes ago, Table said:

There are some tutorials I think, or maybe you could ask some modders to help you :)

Already working on it. I dont have the software or knowhow to do modding though which is difficult

Just got this installed in 1.1.2 ... looks great!  Only problem so far; the 8m cargo tail cannot be opened, either in SPH or in flight.  There's no hotkey or function to open it.

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

Just got this installed in 1.1.2 ... looks great!  Only problem so far; the 8m cargo tail cannot be opened, either in SPH or in flight.  There's no hotkey or function to open it.

One of them was never completed by the mod author. Will be removed in next maintennance release