You know you overbuilt your rocket when...

Deadpangod3

When you design a rocket, design a rocket to lift that rocket, design a rocket to lift THAT rocket. Rocket^4=Kraken.

Isn't that essentially what staging is, which is present in [nearly] every rocket?

When you design a SSTO in FAR with the aim to launch a 14400 full fuel tank into space for refueling purposes, and then realize that you can launch it straight up without a gravity turn and it could still make an orbit close to the one of Minmus.... and then land safely back at KSC. With the full fuel tank still attached.

I recently transitioned from NEAR in 0.24 to 0.25 and FAR.

In NEAR, I had a SSP+ craft that could lift about 110 tons to orbit (depending on the payload shape, as its an open payload bay).

I know in FAR, L/D goes way down at high mach... and I was having stability trouble, but I really wanted to make an 100 ton to orbit SSTO lifter for 0.25, where due to difficulty settings, I'd be limited in funding.

So I engaged in a redesign, packed on an extra orange tanks worth of fuel into the lifter... and when I got to an 84.5x 80.6 km orbit (not 70x70), I still had 154 tons of LF+ oxidizer left, and that was not carrying a payload at all (my previous lifter if it took off with full internal tanks, but no payload did not end up with as much "payload" as if I stuck more weight on it, up to a point where it would start wallowing - basically adding a 100 ton payload does not come with 100 tons of extra fuel consumption).

So, I'd say exceeding the design goal by over 50% counts as overbuilding....

I should have expected that when I scrapped the rapiers+ aerospikes and instead added a pair of KR-2Ls -> the rapiers were overheating, and my TWR in rocket mode was too low and the combined ISP was too low (360 from the rapiers, ughhh) - so I turned all the rapiers into turbotjets, ditched the aerospikes completely (380 vs 390 is close enough), and well, my SSTO no longer lacked the TWR in rocket mode.

My NEAR lifter: 2 aerospikes, 12 rapiers -> 14*175 = 2450 kN of thrust

My FAR lifter: 2x KR-2Ls = 5000 kN of thrust, yea, I more than doubled the thrust....

Despite the thread title

I'm not sure if my new 150 ton to orbit SSTO is overbuilt or not. I don't have many ideas for 150 ton craft that will actually fit in its payload bay... that is over 4 orange tanks.... and most of my landers are actually pretty light....

I guess I can just send bigger fuel depots to other planets....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.