[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Unless Ferram finishes his wing code overhaul for the next update (unlikely, there's still a lot of work to be done there), there will be no aerodynamics changes.

It'd be pretty much the same, the dimensions of the two are very close. I remember B9 HL parts being once scaled to the Shuttle, but I'd prefer to have them more like large cargo plane parts.

Agreed. One of these days I'll get around to doing B9...

To be honest though, I'd rather the mk3 be the cargo plane, and B9 be the spaceplanes. Simply because B9 has heat shielding where Mk3 does not.

That'd be pretty easy to do, it's just the one part. Feel like learning how to make config files? I'll show you the ropes and you can help out!

Probably would have been to much difficulty increase at the same time together with SAS changes.

SAS Changes? Also I've never found FAR to be harder. Quite the opposite, in fact. It makes for so much more intuitive rocket design and re-entry vehicle design, if your pointy rockets do in fact work better than your pancake shaped rockets.

There were no aerodynamic changes in stock KSP. I know that it was said that stock aero was going to be looked into implying change but no such change has happened yet.

Yeah, no changes yet. Prior to FAR updating, was testing parts and my god the atmosphere is still soupy.

Agreed. One of these days I'll get around to doing B9...

To be honest though, I'd rather the mk3 be the cargo plane, and B9 be the spaceplanes. Simply because B9 has heat shielding where Mk3 does not.

I'll be updating DRE to give the Mk3 shielding soon. (meant to do that for the update earlier today but it slipped through the cracks....)

Yeah, no changes yet. Prior to FAR updating, was testing parts and my god the atmosphere is still soupy.

Not for me it's not. SDF working just fine even before I updated it. :D

Edited by Starwaster

I'll be updating DRE to give the Mk3 shielding soon. (meant to do that for the update earlier today but it slipped through the cracks....)

Not for me it's not. SDF working just fine even before I updated it. :D

Should have been more specific. Mk3 doesn't have any heat shielding in its appearance. B9 does.

NEAR is FAR without the GUI (makes construction harder), without the stuff that makes reentry easier, and without wing interaction (which is not exactly realism). You can use it if you want, but don't expect to survive reentry.

Bender222: are you using 0.25, or did you upgrade to .90? Note the topic title if the latter. :)

I am using .25. manage to save a copy of the .25 linux zip so i can use he install script to expand it. I have a seperate .90 install with no mods That I use to try it out. I am thinking ckan did but Im not sure. I dont know where the file is or I would just manualy add the old one

edit : found it, it is in tweakscale. might need to let pjf or biotronic know that ckan installs .90 version of KSPAPIexensions for tweakscale, though i dont know how much longer it is reall going to matter.

I think there is a new thread for rp-o. I got a link off reddit to "http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/103196-0-25-Realistic-Progression-Zero-%28RP-0%29-Lightweight-RealismOverhaul-career-mode" should you update the OP?

Edited by Bender222

Is that right that currently all the mods in question already support the automatic installation feature? Do I need to do anything after such an installation like finding and removing additional stuff that used to be marked with red notices in the manual list? Like mods adding their own fuel types or alternate part behaviour configs of some sort?

Also the classic manual list was actually much longer and contained links to some very usefull little utilities and stuff like that. It would be very very nice to have it somewhere.

What does the engine group controller from the changelog mean?

What changed with the compatibility with SCANSat?

Thank you!

Is that right that currently all the mods in question already support the automatic installation feature? Do I need to do anything after such an installation like finding and removing additional stuff that used to be marked with red notices in the manual list? Like mods adding their own fuel types or alternate part behaviour configs of some sort?

Also the classic manual list was actually much longer and contained links to some very usefull little utilities and stuff like that. It would be very very nice to have it somewhere.

Thank you!

Many questions!

Is that right that currently all the mods in question already support the automatic installation feature?

Almost all. Easy enough to find out by opening up CKAN and running the installation.

Do I need to do anything after such an installation like finding and removing additional stuff that used to be marked with red notices in the manual list?

Nope, unless you feel like pruning part packs to remove parts you don't want.

Like mods adding their own fuel types or alternate part behaviour configs of some sort?

Realism Overhaul should account for all of that in supported mods. If not, post it here and we'll make sure it does.

It does, and every item in the old list sans unsupported mods should be linked in the new table. If it is not, let me know and I'll fix it. Also, check out the google doc where we track all of that info.

It's a mod included in the most recent version of RO (maintained by us, and installed with RO) that allows you to control individual engine groups' throttles and the like. Very useful.

Mainly mass verification, and removing the non-RO tag. May need a second pass for power use.

I commented on this forum thread a while back and complained at how time consuming it was to re-install all the mods this overhaul requires after every update. I am very genuinely impressed at how far this mod has come since I last played KSP. I installed the whole package on my computer in about half an hour as opposed to the 3+ hours I would normally have spent. I would like to congratulate and thank all the people involved in this project(specially NathanKell for managing most of the work) for their dedication and hard work towards making KSP a simulator rather than a game. I wish you guys all the best. YOU GUYS ROCK!

I commented on this forum thread a while back and complained at how time consuming it was to re-install all the mods this overhaul requires after every update. I am very genuinely impressed at how far this mod has come since I last played KSP. I installed the whole package on my computer in about half an hour as opposed to the 3+ hours I would normally have spent. I would like to congratulate and thank all the people involved in this project(specially NathanKell for managing most of the work) for their dedication and hard work towards making KSP a simulator rather than a game. I wish you guys all the best. YOU GUYS ROCK!

Thanks! We try our best

All of the procedural mods including the parts and fairings are updated to 0.90

Excellent, I'll update the OP in a little bit.

I was working on the Salyut pack today and I think I got in way over my head. I have no idea really how to do this. I tried using another .cfg as a template and it didn't work. Would someone give me an overview of how to do this?

It's not too terrible, but the best way to get help would be to join us on the IRC channel and get help directly. CLICK HERE

Wait, fairings is working but parts isn't diddn't get wings so I cant fully confirm that.

Understood, the OP reflects that.

Update on where RO stands with mods:

For Dependencies, we're just waiting on a few more (Very important) mods. I understand there's some fun kinks to work out with some of the new systems, so it may be a little while. If anyone has programming experience, NathanKell would absolutely love some help getting these things up to speed.

For Recommendations, we're almost to the point where'd I'd be happy calling us "Go for launch". We're missing a couple of the important ones (RemoteTech, TACLSS, Procedural Parts, etc) but we've got enough bases covered that it should be possible to build a rocket fairly readily once the Dependencies are updated.

For Suggestions, we're actually quite well covered. Since these are mostly parts packs, it's not surprising that many of them still just work. Once everything's updated, though, we'll have to check over those parts that have updated and make sure our Configs are still good.

So there's the status! If anyone would like to help out, join us on the IRC channel, we'll put you to work!

CLICK HERE FOR RO CHAT GOODNESS

First: Great work with this mod collection. You really know what you do. And you are awesome!

But one question: If you add b9, will you also add tweakscale nodes to b9 tanks? I know that getting the mass and volume scaling right could be somewhat hard. But back in 0.24.2 i added some nodes myself because the standard b9 parts had to little H2 in them, and that really helped me getting a skylon like ssto up there.

First: Great work with this mod collection. You really know what you do. And you are awesome!

But one question: If you add b9, will you also add tweakscale nodes to b9 tanks? I know that getting the mass and volume scaling right could be somewhat hard. But back in 0.24.2 i added some nodes myself because the standard b9 parts had to little H2 in them, and that really helped me getting a skylon like ssto up there.

B9 is on my (admittedly long) list of things to do. I would absolutely love to see some right proper spaceplane parts!

If you want to help make it a reality, you should drop into the IRC channel and help out!

I've noticed something going on with the procedural parts. When you zoom in they become transparent! Here are a few pictures, the transparency is actually much more apparent in-game:

0EdPPDS.png

see how you can see the other landing gear through the fuselage? and on the left you can see a strut end and a structural part through the nosecone and tank

is there a way to fix this? this wouldn't be because I'm using ATM by any chance would it?

I've noticed something going on with the procedural parts. When you zoom in they become transparent! Here are a few pictures, the transparency is actually much more apparent in-game:

http://i.imgur.com/0EdPPDS.png

see how you can see the other landing gear through the fuselage? and on the left you can see a strut end and a structural part through the nosecone and tank

is there a way to fix this? this wouldn't be because I'm using ATM by any chance would it?

That's a feature of the graphics engine. It renders everything as infinitely thin surfaces wrapped around shapes, and the camera is essentially a planar window into the world. If you zoom in, that window will slice through the shapes and create exactly what you're seeing here.

Unless you feel like recoding much of how Unity handles object drawing, I'm afraid you're stuck with this behavior forever.

Felger, Fizwalker: Look again, though. The pod on the wing. You can see the I-bar that the gear attaches to through it, as well as the strut fitting on the side of it. It's faintly transparent, which is not supposed to happen. Disregard the frustum clipping on the right side of the image, that's not what this is about.