[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Oh, the new kids who weren't here in the x32 "jurassic PC" era...

KSP runs as a x32 program (x64 is currently unstable for most people). That means that, no matter how much RAM your system has, your game can only use the RAM's addresses up to the index of 4GB. And that's competing with any programs that also use that range, including the OS; Which results in an actual usable range of around 3-to-3.5GB.

*facepalm* No, I am very well aware of that. But I was telling him "How am I using too much ram" and then I stated how much RAM I currently have installed, as the RAM is an important piece of information regarding issues. Now, the RAM was never the problem in this case either. It was corrupt files and I have since fixed the issue.

1.5km is a little late ( though it still should work ) Try a 50 - 55 degree turn at 1km. 30-40km you say? Does the flip occur after staging? Try upping your turn end value. If it's too low your craft will struggle to meet it and overcompensate ( especially after staging ).

I would not let mechjeb take you all the way to orbit. I don't know how your doing it, but after the rocket is near horizontal it's a game of attitude control to keep your apo a good 15-30 seconds ahead if you. That can be done with MJ but it will fight you.

If its the first stage of the rocket flipping over... Have you tried adding fins? A good set of fins on the bottom of your rocket and its almost impossible to flip.

ZiG5D5p.png

VVUFKN3.png

The first image is a pic of the actual rocket (IK, its huge, 16m diameter with 17 f1 engines). The second one is with FAR, the rocket spinning around an axis at 80 KM (look at the navball, not the actual thing). Disabling mechjeb doesnt help. When i took FAR out, the rocket had the same type of spin, but at 30-40 KM. The spin deviates about 15 degrees in any direction from the ascent path guidance (which is usually close to prograde). No fins yet. Havent staged either, 2nd stage and 3rd stage together are around 500 tons.

EDIT: Turn end at 130 KM. The ascent path is 38 percent. (the second stage has a high TWR, so the first stage can be shallow)

EDIT2: FAR it spins at 80 KM, stock it is 30-40KM

Edited by GiantTank

Should 've showed the DeltaV readout as well in those pics. 17 F1 engines... Hmm. Could be what coldblade said. With 17 F1 engines your max TWR must be off the charts so if there is anything off set of the CoM it'll bite you hard before stage burn out. Also what's your gimbal setup with all those engines? Do you have all 17 of them controlling the rocket or just a few in the center? Best thing I can tell you right now is try adding fins.. and try shutting down some engines once your TWR gets above 6 or so. I see in that second pic that your pulling almost 10gs and you still have a good amount of fuel to burn in that stage. So even if you get the rocket to fly straight it may overthrust and get destroyed.

Oh, and turn off corrective steering with MJ.

I've had several bugs, mostly with the space center, since I installed this in .90. I'm using windows 32 bit with all recommended mods freshly installed. First of all, at the space center, I cannot click on the tracking center or the launchpad; mousing over does not highlight it, though the radar dishes still move at the tracking center. In the VAB, nothing happens when I click the 'flag', 'launch', and 'exit' buttons. When loading saved ships I have a glitch where when I load it, it doesn't show up, and any new parts that I click on to add pop to the bottom like a new part, except for that I can't move them. Another minor bug is that when I do manage to launch, if I don't use launch clamps, the craft starts out at ground level, clipped through the raised platform of the launchpad. If I press anything, the ship flies up into the air for a bit, then falls back down. Any help would be amazing; I love this mod and really want to play it again!

Output log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mr5Ix-VANGZFdUclRoQzZtRHM/view?usp=sharing

Edited by bobskythecanadianguy

Should 've showed the DeltaV readout as well in those pics. 17 F1 engines... Hmm. Could be what coldblade said. With 17 F1 engines your max TWR must be off the charts so if there is anything off set of the CoM it'll bite you hard before stage burn out. Also what's your gimbal setup with all those engines? Do you have all 17 of them controlling the rocket or just a few in the center? Best thing I can tell you right now is try adding fins.. and try shutting down some engines once your TWR gets above 6 or so. I see in that second pic that your pulling almost 10gs and you still have a good amount of fuel to burn in that stage. So even if you get the rocket to fly straight it may overthrust and get destroyed.

Oh, and turn off corrective steering with MJ.

I will try what you said. I mean, my rocket is 10,000 tons and the high gs at the second pic is probably due to the spin. I will add fins and turn off corrective steering, and midway through limit throttle. Thanks! All engines are using Gimbal.

Edited by GiantTank

http://i.imgur.com/ZiG5D5p.png

http://i.imgur.com/VVUFKN3.png

The first image is a pic of the actual rocket (IK, its huge, 16m diameter with 17 f1 engines). The second one is with FAR, the rocket spinning around an axis at 80 KM (look at the navball, not the actual thing). Disabling mechjeb doesnt help. When i took FAR out, the rocket had the same type of spin, but at 30-40 KM. The spin deviates about 15 degrees in any direction from the ascent path guidance (which is usually close to prograde). No fins yet. Havent staged either, 2nd stage and 3rd stage together are around 500 tons.

EDIT: Turn end at 130 KM. The ascent path is 38 percent. (the second stage has a high TWR, so the first stage can be shallow)

EDIT2: FAR it spins at 80 KM, stock it is 30-40KM

I manually launch since Mechjeb never works right and I don't have the time/patience to do it over and over and get it to work. I like to use two stages for ascent. Both with about 4800m/s of delta-v (note that for the upper stage I use the vacuum number) I usually end up with ~100-500 delta-v to do a few small orbital maneuvers and to de-orbit depending on my launch direction. I find that I like my bottom stages to have an SLT of 1.3. My upper stage can get away with as little as .75 TWR.

When Launching I fly straight up till my speed gets to about 100km/s then I pitch 2-3 degrees (halfway to the first mark on the navball) Sometimes that is enough and my rocket follows the prograde marker till it gets to 45 degrees all on its own, but if it is not at the first mark by the time I get to 8kms high I manually adjust it so that I hit the 45 degrees mark at about 1000km/s speed and 35km in altitude from there I wait till my altitude gets to about 60kms (doesn't take long) Since I am mostly out of atmosphere at this point I don't need to worry much about flipping. I pitch all the way down to near zero degrees and wait until my time until apoapsis gets to about 10. I pitch up to control it and slowly work my way back down to zero degrees as my fuel burns and my TWR gets higher. I have found that if you pass the apoapsis about 15 seconds before you need to stop your burn you can mitigate the big jump that happens at the end of the burn and achieve nearly circular orbits directly from launch.

I do not know if this is the best way but it is close and its what I have picked up from playing RO. Also, you can use the thrust plate adapter to cluster multiiple smaller engines instead of a single large one and not have to use fins.( but I see you are using 17 engines. that is alot of processing and control authority. What are you launching that is so heavy? Ever considered splitting it up into multiple launches and assemble it in orbit?

Edited by Bender222

Hey, I have another question for you felger, or anyone who can answer, I have recently reinstalled the modpack due to the game not loading on startup, and now it loads just fine all the way into a live game. I can go into the VAB and all other buildings (But tracking station glitches out 50% of the time and I cant click it) and build crafts fine (however if I rightclick more than a few times in a second the game usually crashes) all the parts work and function properly, but when I launch a craft, the game crashes. crash report link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zy04qglt6enjpzc/AABLbm9pBAP3zq86qpb12Hj8a?dl=0 (If there is no useful data it might be the wrong one because I have about 7 and 2 of them are from the right click bug) Thanks!

Works now! I disabled the gimbal on outer ring, added fins and changed a few settings.

sidenote: Has anyone made an X-37?

- - - Updated - - -

Works now! I disabled the gimbal on outer ring, added fins and changed a few settings.

sidenote: Has anyone made an X-37b?

Well, Due to the new VAB Height restrictions, can not build Saturn V as it is too tall. I am hoping that Hangar Extender will address this in the future but for now I will need to create Stubster Rockets for large payload lifts. Not unless someone can supply an alternative way to build thru the roof.

PS: Been playing since .19 and THANK YOU for all the you have done to this game. You have provided me with countless hours of 11 min burns to orbit only to find out that I forgot to switch my RCS from Hydrazine to mmh/nto. The game went from click/click/click/Launch to Let me Google "Rocket Science" real quick

Oh boy, tons of questions. That's what I get for going to work all day!

Felger

Thank you!

I have sixteen gigabytes of memory available in the system so it is definitely the game that is limiting me.

I will try to convert the textures and see what happens.

This is something that happens to me with a lot of mods in the two latest versions. The game just hits the memory limit and the strange thing is that Active Texture Management or Texture Replacer or the shortcut properties do not seem to affect it much.

How to fix the random textureless parts? They are quite annoying as they appear right on all crafts new and existing not only in the editor and that strange look just catches the eye immediately.

The syntax was right as the game output log stated clearly that it ran in OpenGL.

It did not change anything significantly either.

What should I do with it?

I'm not really sure what would be causing the textureless parts, all in all, I'd probably try a full reinstall of the game and see if that resolves it.

HI! I have run into an issue. Whenever I launch the game it'll go through the Real solar system process (where it applies the addon, you can see stuff happening in the background). But it always crashes at the same spot in the process. I need help. Du you want the error.log or the output_log.txt?

In general we prefer the output_log.txt (I don't recall what gets written to the error.log, might be the same stuff, who knows?)

Hey, I am having a bit of a dilemma.

I want the thin atmosphere of FAR, but not the flipping out on mechjeb ascents and shaking. Is there a way to thin the atmosphere (somewhere in the cfg change pressure) or does NEAR do that? Thanks.

Have you tried

? (Can now use stock re-root instead of SelectRoot)
I look at the original post at the Active Texture Management thread and read that it is actually expected to cut from a few hundreds of megabytes to a couple of gigabytes of memory usage and read from various sources that using a different graphic mode usually cuts it pretty much in half again. But when I try this with my game installation the effect is no bigger than the natural oscillations. The same thing happens with both the stock and the modded game just the textures are really compressed and blurry but the memory usage does not want to decrease. The only difference with mods is that it hits the limit quickly and issues start to arise.

As mentioned before, DDS convert and DDSLoader will probably help you out here.

Hello I have been using realism overhaul and real solar system since 0.25 and love it, but sine 0.90 Iv had this issue come up even with todays new fixes using ckan install of the dependencies.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/357/e/6/screenshot4_by_kristheblade-d8axby6.png

I know that the parts are supposed to be re-scaled to reflect real life but only the pods seem to be affected, nothing else. Iv tried re-installing several times over the last few days with a clean install of ksp but the same issue keeps coming up. Everything else fits together though. (Only stock parts in this install). I cant seem to find anything on how to fix this issue. Have all parts been properly re-sized for 0.90?

They should be and are rescaled, as appropriate (To troubleshoot, I'll need more information, including whether or not the fuel tanks are being configured appropriately in other ways, do the config files exist, etc). However, I'd strongly recommend deleting those fuel tanks and using Procedural Parts. You'll make some RAM savings, and also have the flexibility real rocket designers have in fuel tank sizing.

1.5km is a little late ( though it still should work ) Try a 50 - 55 degree turn at 1km. 30-40km you say? Does the flip occur after staging? Try upping your turn end value. If it's too low your craft will struggle to meet it and overcompensate ( especially after staging ).

I would not let mechjeb take you all the way to orbit. I don't know how your doing it, but after the rocket is near horizontal it's a game of attitude control to keep your apo a good 15-30 seconds ahead if you. That can be done with MJ but it will fight you.

If its the first stage of the rocket flipping over... Have you tried adding fins? A good set of fins on the bottom of your rocket and its almost impossible to flip.

That's a terrible launch profile. If you did that with a real rocket, you'd rip it in half. Real rockets tilt over ~1degree immediately after liftoff (or right after clearing the launch tower) and follow the prograde marker all the way to orbit. Easy way to approximate this is set your gravity turn with MechJeb, set the 'keep within 5 degrees of prograde' on, and let it fly your rocket.

I've several bugs, mostly with the space center, since I installed this in .90. I'm using windows 32 bit with all recommended mods freshly installed. First of all, at the space center, I cannot click on the tracking center or the launchpad; mousing over does not highlight it, though the radar dishes still move at the tracking center. In the VAB, nothing happens when I click the 'flag', 'launch', and 'exit' buttons. When loading saved ships I have a glitch where when I load it, it doesn't show up, and any new parts that I click on to add pop to the bottom like a new part, except for that I can't move them. Another minor bug is that when I do manage to launch, if I don't use launch clamps, the craft starts out at ground level, clipped through the raised platform of the launchpad. Any help would be amazing; I love this mod and really want to play it again!

Output log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1mr5Ix-VANGZFdUclRoQzZtRHM/view?usp=sharing

That all sounds very bizarre, and it's unlikely that it's caused by Realism Overhaul itself. The output log doesn't present me with any immediate options to fix it. Recommended troubleshooting steps:

Start removing mods that seem related to the issue (Real Solar System, RemoteTech, anything that deals with the tracking station or even map view.)

If you find removing a mod fixes the problem, try re-installing it. If that doesn't work, ask for help on the mod's thread.

If removing things doesn't fix it, perhaps your base game got corrupted somehow, try reinstalling the game proper.

If that doesn't work, kraken help you...

Hey, I have another question for you felger, or anyone who can answer, I have recently reinstalled the modpack due to the game not loading on startup, and now it loads just fine all the way into a live game. I can go into the VAB and all other buildings (But tracking station glitches out 50% of the time and I cant click it) and build crafts fine (however if I rightclick more than a few times in a second the game usually crashes) all the parts work and function properly, but when I launch a craft, the game crashes. crash report link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zy04qglt6enjpzc/AABLbm9pBAP3zq86qpb12Hj8a?dl=0 (If there is no useful data it might be the wrong one because I have about 7 and 2 of them are from the right click bug) Thanks!

Sorry to say it, but it looks like you're running out of RAM. Perhaps in loading into the scene, you're opening up just enough more assets to push you over the limit, and the game tries to access illegal addresses (for a 32bit program). Try removing parts you don't want, or using DDS converter and DDS loader.

http://i.imgur.com/9vAuCyP.png

all of the RSS icons are totally blank, and the toolbar icon for FAR is also blank. Has anybody had a similar problem?

I haven't seen this one yet, are you on the most recent version of Toolbar?

Well, Due to the new VAB Height restrictions, can not build Saturn V as it is too tall. I am hoping that Hangar Extender will address this in the future but for now I will need to create Stubster Rockets for large payload lifts. Not unless someone can supply an alternative way to build thru the roof.

PS: Been playing since .19 and THANK YOU for all the you have done to this game. You have provided me with countless hours of 11 min burns to orbit only to find out that I forgot to switch my RCS from Hydrazine to mmh/nto. The game went from click/click/click/Launch to Let me Google "Rocket Science" real quick

Yeah, the height restrictions are annoying. Best guess: they changed how it's coded a little bit when they did the upgradeable buildings and it's taking some work to figure out how to get around it again.

In the meantime, if you start at the top of your rocket and work your way down, you can shift+click on the rocket to grab the whole ship and move it. This way you can 'clip' the top through the top of the hangar (or bottom through the floor, to get back to the top).

*facepalm* No, I am very well aware of that. But I was telling him "How am I using too much ram" and then I stated how much RAM I currently have installed, as the RAM is an important piece of information regarding issues. Now, the RAM was never the problem in this case either. It was corrupt files and I have since fixed the issue.

*facepalm* Pretty much every user has a different system than every other user. And while video-cards' brands could be a concern until recently, even they are getting pretty much standardized nowadays. As for RAM, practically no one that would have a 3D game of any sort has a PC with less than 4GB. So why exactly do you think mentioning how much RAM you have is "an important piece of information regarding issues"? Because, given that RAM is one of, if not the most standardized hardware pieces in your PC, and that you, like the extreme majority, has more than 4GB of RAM, how much RAM you have total (/beyond 4GB) doesn't matter at all; Not for RAM problems.

Also, you asked "How am I using too much ram?", and then stated how much RAM you have; Which, as explained, doesn't matter as long as it's beyond 4GB, (which can be, and is in fact, assumed to be the case for everyone, as otherwise cases are extremely rare at this point in time); And so it makes no sense for you to be telling your total RAM amount, unless you think that total is what's available to KSP, which is not the case and which is what I referred to in that comment.

I think my point was and still is valid. If you want to facepalm at that, feel free to do so. And happy holidays.

I haven't seen this one yet, are you on the most recent version of Toolbar?

I am using the most recent version of Toolbar, which shouldn't matter since the icons are completely black on the stock toolbar. I don't know why the launch sites and the change launch site icon wouldn't be working though. Could it be because I'm using the most recent version of RSS?

I am using the most recent version of Toolbar, which shouldn't matter since the icons are completely black on the stock toolbar. I don't know why the launch sites and the change launch site icon wouldn't be working though. Could it be because I'm using the most recent version of RSS?

Perhaps, that's a question for the RSS thread though. Could you submit an output_log.txt so we can see if something funky's going on? Otherwise, just try re-installing the offending mods (Likely RSS or anything else that touches the toolbars or tracking station.)

Hotrockets and smokescreen have not been working for me so far in .90 with RO installed.

Hotrockets is not exactly compatible with Realism Overhaul. We're working on providing our own SmokeScreen configs which include plume expansion like a real rocket will have.

I'm having an issue with not having any icons for the KSC switcher- have a look https://www./folder/9c1aq02zl3anm7r,mi43sizlc8ac67z/shared

EDIT: This issue was resolved by switching texture quality from half res to full resolution.

NathanKell posted on this same issue: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-90-Real-Solar-System-v8-5-Dec-23?p=1626403&viewfull=1#post1626403

Felger

I did try to reinstall the game a lot of times. There is something very strange happening because pretty much all known methods of reducing memory usage do not work for my game.

How many mods do you use and do you have the redundant non procedural parts?

NathanKell

And what about your mod usage?

How do you manage to run a visual enhancement mod?

Thank you

I am having problems installing via CKAN GUI v1.5.0

The files start downloading for a while and I get this error:

http://prntscr.com/5khau4

Is there any way to fix this? I tried manual install but I could not trust if I am doing it correctly :D

So, how do you guys deal with this? Do you guys don't get this error? It occurs everytime I try installing RO. Very frustrating :mad:

It says something about a file being used but I have no idea what it is about.

Felger

I did try to reinstall the game a lot of times. There is something very strange happening because pretty much all known methods of reducing memory usage do not work for my game.

How many mods do you use and do you have the redundant non procedural parts?

NathanKell

And what about your mod usage?

How do you manage to run a visual enhancement mod?

Thank you

Personally, I just have a pared down test folder that barely uses 2GB of RAM, to make the game reload faster when I'm testing part packs and the like. I haven't got a proper RSS RO install yet for 0.90

Is there any way to fix this? I tried manual install but I could not trust if I am doing it correctly :D

So, how do you guys deal with this? Do you guys don't get this error? It occurs everytime I try installing RO. Very frustrating :mad:

That's a bit strange, I haven't seen that before, you should report it on the CKAN thread, or as an issue on the CKAN github repository. They'll be more likely to be able to help you solve it. I believe they have an IRC channel for help as well.

CKAN recently updated. I had that same issue, but reinstalled and it worked. Try downloading the new version and see if it works.