[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

The rocket looks REALLY top heavy to me. Tried using smaller upper stage?

edit - didnt read carefully enough, sorry. The struts really should do the trick Oo

edit2 -  Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, looks like its updated to  1.1!

Edited by species

22 minutes ago, species said:

The rocket looks REALLY top heavy to me. Tried using smaller upper stage?

edit - didnt read carefully enough, sorry. The struts really should do the trick Oo

edit2 -  Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, looks like its updated to  1.1!

I'm using the old kerbal joint reinforcement that was meant for 1.0.5 wouldn't the new 1.1 version break RO? 

The bottom of my rocket is about 230 tonnes the top is about 40, 50% of the top is empty space under a fairing. 

I tried making the top half the diameter and no fuel in the tank but it still wobbles. 

Could you try launching the rocket in your install and let me know if it wobbles like hell? 

I've tried some small 50 tonne rockets and they all wobble like a floppy dildo on the end of a boat. Really struggling to see what I'm doing wrong. Tried a complete reinstall as well with only the ckan recommended mods. 

edit:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/First-RO-Rocket

I've basically tried to copy the tutorial rocket. It looks the same and mine is actually less top heavy than the tut. Is the tutorial outdated? It seems pretty lacking in explanations. Are there any better tutorials for RO that will teach me how to launch a rocket into orbit with RO? Any example rockets I can download to see if they also wobble?

It currently seems broken, I'm not really sure how anyone plays it to be honest when it takes 10+ minutes to load a game, crashes if you alt tab, crashes if you click when scene loading and generally everything lags like a poodle with 16gb of ram and a GTX 970.

Edited by rolls

16 minutes ago, rolls said:

I'm using the old kerbal joint reinforcement that was meant for 1.0.5 wouldn't the new 1.1 version break RO? 

Yea, if youre running 1.0.5 you should be fine, never actually saw this happen in my 500 hours of 1.0.5 RO. Maybe try using the prodecural fuel tank for the upper stage as well? Also is the interstage decoupler mounted to the engine or some structural part?  Id try getting rid of the thrust plate all together, never actually used it. Problem could be in thrust plate / fuel tank rather than decoupler (so it doesnt matter how many struts you add between those two)

Could you try launching the rocket in your install and let me know if it wobbles like hell?

Im at work unfortunatelly :(

The bottom of my rocket is about 230 tonnes the top is about 40, 50% of the top is empty space under a fairing. 

First stage will lost most of its weight as it burns fuel but still, the rocket should tip, not wobble.

edit - yea thats how i remember the experience as well :D It doesnt matter how much ram you got, since 1.0.5 can use only 3.5gb and graphic card isnt sweating either, physic is calculated by CPU. I basicly spent more time crashing and loading again than playing :D But it was still awesome, i managed to clock way over 500hrs on RO, the 1.1 with Unity 5 will surely make things ways better. So the best option for now is to wait for mods to update :) 

Edited by species

I'm using procedural fuel tank for both upper and lower stage. Eg close to an exact copy of the tutorial. 

I need the thrust plate as I have 5 engines, I don't have enough science for a single engine with enough thrust.  Decoupler is mounted to the engine. 

The rocket wobbles on the launch pad,  it wobbles about 1000m off the ground with 90% fuel. It feels like a giant rubber dildo flapping in the wind. 

The rocket flies quite well if you can get the wobbling under control. I can do a full flip and get it under control again, it just won't make it to orbit due to flopping around constantly wasting all of the fuel. 

Edited by rolls

30 minutes ago, rolls said:

I'm using procedural fuel tank for both upper and lower stage. Eg close to an exact copy of the tutorial. 

I need the thrust plate as I have 5 engines, I don't have enough science for a single engine with enough thrust.  Decoupler is mounted to the engine. 

The rocket wobbles on the launch pad,  it wobbles about 1000m off the ground with 90% fuel. It feels like a giant rubber dildo flapping in the wind. 

The rocket flies quite well if you can get the wobbling under control. I can do a full flip and get it under control again, it just won't make it to orbit due to flopping around constantly wasting all of the fuel. 

Are you using structural fairing sides or aerodynamic ones?

21 minutes ago, MikaelPerrin said:

Are you using structural fairing sides or aerodynamic ones?

I'm using the structural fairing sides however I've tried using all 3 different types with the same results.

How do I attach it to a surface opposed to thrust plate if I want 5 of them? I can attach 1 no problem, but I need the centre node for the structural fairing floating node, so I couldn't figure out any way to do it other than using a thrust plate and using a minimum of two engines?

22 minutes ago, rolls said:

How do I attach it to a surface opposed to thrust plate if I want 5 of them? I can attach 1 no problem, but I need the centre node for the structural fairing floating node, so I couldn't figure out any way to do it other than using a thrust plate and using a minimum of two engines?

You can attach the floating node even with an engine attached. 

41 minutes ago, rolls said:

Look onto the lower side of the tank. Grab an engine. Change symmetry count to 5 (or whatever you need) and hover the engine over the lower side of your tank between center point and edge, Place them, where it fits your need/design.

4 hours ago, rolls said:

Ok I've been trying to get a rocket into launch for about 3 days now and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop the interstage fairing from wobbling. I've made sure the interstage fairing upper floating node is attached to the thrust plate centre node. I've made sure my fairing is locked. I've enabled auto strut. I've added 5000x struts manually between the two but it always loveing wobbles.No matter how I attach things I end up with this about 3 seconds after launch. I'm running 1.0.5 with all the standard mods.

I've also tried changing the root node to the centre of the rocket, I've tried using mechjeb and stability assist, nothing works.

Please help, I really want to play RO but the wobbling is doing my head in.

I've attached my rocket if anyone could please have a look at it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428435/orbit.craft

Your can try one or all of the following tricks:

• - Use some SAS! So MechJeb & Co aren't forced to gimbal for every minor wobble.
  • - The amount of wobble is usually determined by how much your command core wobbles (or any other part with "Command From Here" set). And the rocket wobbles around its center of mass, which means that the amount of wobble for a part is the higher the more away it is away from the center. If  you move the command core near the center of mass, the core wobbles less and therefore initiate less counter steering.  A good place could be right above the center engine of the 2nd stage (between engine and tank)
  • - If you use MechJeb then be informed that MechJeb tends to oversteer on large & sluggish rockets. On launch pad, open MechJeb's attitude menu (2nd from top) and change the following values:
    Tf range min/max from [0.1/0.5] to [0.01/0.15]
    Kp from 3 to 30
    Ki from 6 to 60

I hope, this helps.

And remove your 5000 struts... :)

Edited by Carraux

6 hours ago, rolls said:

-snip-

Please help, I really want to play RO but the wobbling is doing my head in.

I've attached my rocket if anyone could please have a look at it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1428435/orbit.craft

Well I just slapped that rocket of yours onto my launchpad, took off and I've got to say it flew very well behaved and straight as a dart.

Launched again and shook it about a little, still nominal behaviour.

I use mechjebs smartA.S.S. for shaping my trajectory manually throughout the ascent.

I'd say your rocket is fine. Must be something about your setup. Double check Kerbal Joint Reinforcement if you havent already. Other than that - no idea...

ps: Never realized you could just add up the avionics core mass limits like that. Man, do I feel silly now. (It does seem wrong to me though)

9 minutes ago, Gannaf said:

ps: Never realized you could just add up the avionics core mass limits like that. Man, do I feel silly now. (It does seem wrong to me though)

Haha that took me a bit to figure out too. It doesn't seem right in terms of realism but honestly avionics cores with mass limits aren't a thing IRL anyway. You either have a reaction wheel or a flight computer that can gimball the engines and the mechanism for that would be stored in the engine block

11 hours ago, species said:
4 hours ago, Gannaf said:

Well I just slapped that rocket of yours onto my launchpad, took off and I've got to say it flew very well behaved and straight as a dart.

Launched again and shook it about a little, still nominal behaviour.

I use mechjebs smartA.S.S. for shaping my trajectory manually throughout the ascent.

I'd say your rocket is fine. Must be something about your setup. Double check Kerbal Joint Reinforcement if you havent already. Other than that - no idea...

Are you able to screenshot your mods and versions from ckan for me? 

Ok solved the problem, I installed 3.1.4 of KJR with ckan then manually installed 3.1.5 at some stage (no idea why or when I did this), 3.1.5 only works with 1.1 and fails to load other wise as I found in the logs. Manually installed 3.1.4 again and now rockets swaying dildo tendencys are gone!

Thanks guys

Hi guys, I red about suggestion to implement Kerbalism into pack. I know it is compatible with 0 mods, but developer said he will make parts of mod disabling and even check if RT2 will be on, comms of Kerbalism will be disabled, so maybe it will change in new future and you ll be able to add it into your amazing pack.

Second things is a question...I m not asking when will be update, I m asking just if the update will be for 1.1, 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, anybody know?

Thanks! Ave!

Toonu

I'm new to RO and I want to ask something.

RO is just a pack of standalone mods put into one for easy access, if I understand correctly, so am I correct in assuming that I can get individual mods from each mod's thread to get the same functionality?

This is because I want to try out RO so bad now with 64bit, and just can't wait.

If there is something original to RO included that I can't get just by going through the included mods separately, please tell me so.

Edited by ebigunso

@ebigunso Welcome to RO! RO is not just a pack of mods. RO itself includes the configs that make the parts in stock and other parts packs, and also other mods, to behave like in real life.

Additionally, some of the mods that RO depends on are not updated to 1.1.x yet, and that is the main reason RO was not updated actually.

Edited by leudaimon

1 minute ago, leudaimon said:

@ebigunso Welcome to RO! RO is not just a pack of mods. RO itself includes the configs that make the parts in stock and other parts packs to behave like in real life.

Additionally, some of the mods that RO depends on are not updated to 1.1.x yet, and that is the main reason RO was not updated actually.

Alright, thanks.

This means I've got a little more waiting to do. I hope to get my hands on it soon enough :D

10 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Toonu my understanding is Kerbalism is a "lite" version of various mods. That's...rather counter to the point of RO. :P

Ok ok...it was just suggestion. :D But from my point of view it can replace "many" mods like DangIt, Foods(TAC,USI,Snacks), AntennaRange/RT2 (but RT2 is unreplaceable with its delays :D), and one mod adding crew mood(sorry, don't remember name). And because I like always rather 1-2 mods instead of 5 mods, it s better for me. :D As I said, it was just a suggestion. No problem with not having it. 

Yeah and what about the update? Will it be compiled for 1.1.2 or older 1.1.0/1.1.1 version?

Thanks for reply! Ave!

Toonu

Edited by Toonu

5 hours ago, Toonu said:

Yeah and what about the update? Will it be compiled for 1.1.2 or older 1.1.0/1.1.1 version?

Next RO release will be targeted at 1.1.2, I believe. Unless KSP itself has moved onto 1.1.3 or something by that point. In broad strokes, RO is really a lot of configs for dependencies like RealFuels, so potentially those RO configs would work, if the user has 1.1.0 and all the dependencies with their 1.1.0 versions. But that is all in theory, in practice RO is developed with whatever the most recent version of KSP is.

1 hour ago, stratochief66 said:

Next RO release will be targeted at 1.1.2, I believe. Unless KSP itself has moved onto 1.1.3 or something by that point. In broad strokes, RO is really a lot of configs for dependencies like RealFuels, so potentially those RO configs would work, if the user has 1.1.0 and all the dependencies with their 1.1.0 versions. But that is all in theory, in practice RO is developed with whatever the most recent version of KSP is.

Ok, thanks for reply. :) I m looking forward to it, because RO is amazing mod and I like hardcore(or should I say normal mod? Because this is almost like normal rocketery :D) No, really good job. :D