[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

11 minutes ago, woo_reentry_is_cool_dude said:

uuuugh , i can't find this mod in CKAN . thanks

uuuugh, the mod is not updated for the latest version of KSP. thanks

7 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Temeterthere was a problem on how Procedural Parts handled the drag cubes (when the part size was changed) that caused multiple render calls for the same part. The bigger the part, the bigger the lag!

Exact source by NathanKell

Close: the bigger the _number_ of parts, the bigger the lag. Basically, the "render cubes" event was sent by SendEvent, which by default sends it to all parts on a vessel rather than just the affected part.

8 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Temeterthere was a problem on how Procedural Parts handled the drag cubes (when the part size was changed) that caused multiple render calls for the same part. The bigger the part, the bigger the lag!

Exact source by NathanKell

39 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Close: the bigger the _number_ of parts, the bigger the lag. Basically, the "render cubes" event was sent by SendEvent, which by default sends it to all parts on a vessel rather than just the affected part.

I see, that does makes sense looking back. My really large hydrogen rocket was a complex mars mission with like 2 dozen or more proctanks. So 1.1 RO doesn't just have 1.1 performance and loading times, but one of the biggest causes lag? Awesome! :D

Btw, was this only about loading vessels, or also lag during flight?

Edited by Temeter

I noticed that using fuels such as Ethanol90 or just straight Ethanol with an engine that normally requires Ethanol75 do not allow the engine to function. Although I am by no means an expert on early 1940s-1950s rocket engines, I think the reason they used Ethanol75 was just to prevent overheating and that a higher-grade fuel such as Ethanol90 would have worked with the engine, but caused more damage to it. I'm wondering if it's possible to configure engines such as this for use with Realfuels and TestFlight so that they could use these higher-grade fuels with higher thrust/isp, but would suffer reliability issues since they were not designed to run on them. In a similar vein but slightly different, allow certain RD- engines using kerosene to run on syntin, with higher performance but more fuel cost and reliability issues. If I'm getting something completely wrong about how these engines work, let me know. I just thought that these different fuel configurations might be a good idea. I have no idea how to implement them myself, but I'd like to know if they seem like worthwhile ideas, and, if so, we can expect to see them in a future update of Realism Overhaul or Real Fuels. 

13 hours ago, gemini4 said:

I noticed that using fuels such as Ethanol90 or just straight Ethanol with an engine that normally requires Ethanol75 do not allow the engine to function. Although I am by no means an expert on early 1940s-1950s rocket engines, I think the reason they used Ethanol75 was just to prevent overheating and that a higher-grade fuel such as Ethanol90 would have worked with the engine, but caused more damage to it. I'm wondering if it's possible to configure engines such as this for use with Realfuels and TestFlight so that they could use these higher-grade fuels with higher thrust/isp, but would suffer reliability issues since they were not designed to run on them. In a similar vein but slightly different, allow certain RD- engines using kerosene to run on syntin, with higher performance but more fuel cost and reliability issues. If I'm getting something completely wrong about how these engines work, let me know. I just thought that these different fuel configurations might be a good idea. I have no idea how to implement them myself, but I'd like to know if they seem like worthwhile ideas, and, if so, we can expect to see them in a future update of Realism Overhaul or Real Fuels. 

alternate config for the engine would be requires but totally possible. Problem is that if engine was not used with particular fuel type it would be hard to estimate stats like thrust and ISP. and RO is all about realism.
If you have some basic programming skill you can check configs, copy-paste existing config from existing engine and modify it to run on fuel you want and put the statistics you estimate it should have.

15 hours ago, gemini4 said:

I noticed that using fuels such as Ethanol90 or just straight Ethanol with an engine that normally requires Ethanol75 do not allow the engine to function. Although I am by no means an expert on early 1940s-1950s rocket engines, I think the reason they used Ethanol75 was just to prevent overheating and that a higher-grade fuel such as Ethanol90 would have worked with the engine, but caused more damage to it.

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think using ethanol with a smaller water fraction (example Ethanol90 over Ethanol75), required in some engines to function, only results in limited extra heat production and other reaction changes, unlikely to push the engine past any limit.  The more likely reason to use Ethanol75 (and design to its use) is it's cheaper, easier to handle, and can be made with a less complex distillery.

27 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think using ethanol with a smaller water fraction (example Ethanol90 over Ethanol75), required in some engines to function, only results in limited extra heat production and other reaction changes, unlikely to push the engine past any limit.  The more likely reason to use Ethanol75 (and design to its use) is it's cheaper, easier to handle, and can be made with a less complex distillery.

If the engines could be made to run on these alternate fuel grades, would there be any noticeable effect on performance? TWR would be better, since you're not carrying around extra water which won't be used in combustion, but would thrust and/or ISP increase? My intuition is to say that they would-a higher amount of ethanol, the fuel actually used for combustion, would be burned every second, and more of the combustion energy would go towards accelerating the exhaust products of the ethanol/oxygen combustion, not heating water. Again, though, I'm not an expert on rocket propellants. I'm just trying to determine whether or not there's any point in creating more engine configs for these alternate fuels.

3 minutes ago, KOCTROTTAJI said:

Hi everybody! Is Somebody got information abot how much time it's take to update RO to 1.1.2 KSP version? Sanks a lot.

P.S.:Forgive me pleace my English, I knew it's worse, but i'm practise.

When it is ready. The people working on it are volunteers doing so in their spare time, there isn't a fixed schedule.

A HUGE thank you to all our contributors for making this possible! If your name isn't on the OP yet don't worry, a new OP is under construction (it's sorely needed, the mod links are out of date too). A special thank you to the many new folks who stepped up to help make this happen.

• Update for KSP 1.1.2!
  • Update to latest RealPlume.
  • Start axis-limiting gimbals.
  • Show ElectricCharge in watts in tooltips and the Solar Panel menu in flight.
  • Heat shields make much more sense now: they convert ablator into charred ablator, and "consume" untouched ablator at more sensible rates.
  • Gendered many docking ports.
  • RemoteTech tweaks and fix some incorrect antenna descriptions. Support AIES antennas.
  • Crew in parts mass 100kg each (person plus suit). Yes, this will not fit all cases but is better than nothing.
  • Do a pass to mention diameter and correct manufacturer for various parts.
  • Change provided engine layouts to support latest version of SSTU
  • Support SSTU RD-0110, Merlin, RL10A-5 engines.
  • Better SSTU upper stage support.
  • Update RSB configs for latest RSB.
  • Updated FASA Titan II/GLV mass values to a better source
  • Updated FASA Centaur tank masses to better sources
  • Support for the ignition additionalFailureChance (TestFlight) now enabled
  • Fix issues with latest VSR.
  • Update CST-100 patches.
  • Various typo fixes and improvements to engine configs.
  • Fix issue with Apollo parachutes burning up.
  • Fix issues with Skylab (ECLSS and antennas).
  • Add more ConnectedLivingSpace support.
  • Rescale many IVAs for correct size.
  • Change around stock (Squad) lander cans: Mk2 can now seats three and has more reasonable mass; Mk1 now has a bit lower mass; and a clone of the Mk1 is added seating two.
  • Support more SXT hab modules.
  • Support Wild Blue Industries Buffalo MMSEV.
  • Tweak J-2 ignitions for better accuracy.
  • Tweak TestFlight generic configs.
  • Add more TestFlight reliability configs.
  • And many more!

awesome, i've been waiting for a long time to try out  realism overhaul and with 1.1 adding 64 bit support i finally can without removing some stuff! will download as soon as it shows up on ckan :D 

YES YES YES!!! Thank you sooooo much Nathan!!!!!!

edit - any everybody else who contributed to this AMAZING project!

Edited by species