Devnote Tuesdays: The "Doin' the Work" Edition

SQUAD

I haven't seen anybody yet mention the bent fuselage pieces, for raising the tail off the runway so you have room to rotate for takeoff. Great idea! That's a feature that has been missing from stock for a long time. Glad to see it corrected. For the longest time, my standard practice with my own tailcone piece has not been to attach it to the node, but surface attach and give it two clicks of vertical rotation just to gain the same effect.

And those mkIII parts look utterly fantastic! I'm not worried about not seeing the taller landing gear, thicker wings, cargo bays, or nosecone to match the mkIII. I know these will all come with time. Right now, just reast your eyes on the beautiful cockpit. It is a wonder. :D

I notice the sepratron looks 1000% better when its little stilt legs are buried inside the fuselage. Actually looks aerodynamic that way. Encouraging to see the stock game's design widgets explicitly allow at least mild part clipping... It should pretty much stick the fork in that particular debate and call it done; we won!

Amazing work SQUAD! Seriously though, don't work yourselves to death! Especially you, Harvester. Congratuations on your marriage, Rowsdower. The MKIII parts are magnificent, and I can't tell you how nice it will be to have those beautiful adaptors.

I'm very interested to see what perks or abilities are brought by pilots on missions.

@Ted, you attached your separatrons up-side-down.

For the update name, how about either

"Kerbin's Heroes" or "Kerman's Heroes"? I'd bet you're planning on going with "Beta than Ever" Edition though.

Maxmaps, are you using stock? Since when did Kerbin have clouds in stock?

Edited by Vallius
I noticed the clouds in the new MKIII pics.

Encouraging to see the stock game's design widgets explicitly allow at least mild part clipping... It should pretty much stick the fork in that particular debate and call it done; we won!
You're assuming he didn't use the debug menu option.

In a way, it's kinda sad to know the next update will be vers. 0.90. Means we're real close to finalizing alpha and finalizing features. Sliding into beta, it'll be bug fixes, which I definitely approve.

That said, the DevNotes were excellent and full of details. I particularly like seeing the new VAB UI.

@Rowsdower: you've apparently married a most patient young lady, given that she's not giving you crap about postponing the honeymoon. She's a keeper.

Edited by KasperVld
minor profanity

Oh a very nice devnote with very nice news! (Grats Rowsdower!)

Very much looking forward to the next update. Especially those new parts... Ive already got 2 planes that could really benefit from those.

Also, though I understand nothing can be said for sure.... but maybe... hypothetically speaking... is there a chance for a more powerful jet engine? Or maybe a pod of jet engines? (like B1 lancer or concord) With building large aircraft becoming easier and easier, mounting 40 jet engines just to get a decent twr on a large aircraft is rather taxing...

But also once in beta, will there be no more new parts? Or is filling in gaps in the part lineup considered polishing?

Either way, thanks for the good read in what for me was a rather bad day. Bacon for you! -D

Edited by DundraL

Is it just me, or has no one else noticed that the new mk3 parts didn't feature a cargo bay?
I think they will though. Note the pic showing the Mk3 parts against the orange tank. Why would that be posted if not to show that the 2.5m parts will fit in the Mk3 bays?

Cool stuff, guys! Mk3 parts are looking good. However, as has been mentioned, we need bigger landing gear! If we keep scaling up aircraft parts without providing similarly-scaled landing systems it's going to become silly to even try to build big aircraft. Fortunately the update looks to be a ways away, so there's still time to remedy the lack of nice big landing gear.

Also, your Separatrons will be burning up those goo canisters. :sticktongue:

Be safe down there in Mexico. I've seen some recent articles/imgur posts about crazy political stuff going on down there, hopefully it can get sorted out for the better. :)

Edited by OrbitusII

Well, that clears up the exploding launchpad issue. At least I now know it won't be a bug, but a feature. :P

In fact, it might encourage more to use Launch Stability Enhancers to develop large rockets. Would be even more interesting that a certain type of launchpad is required to even use them.

I’ve even added a new app to the toolbar that appears in the VAB/SPH, that keeps track of your craft’s stats like size, part count and total mass.

Will this app also show useful data like TWR? Delta-V? That would be great if so!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.