Devnote Tuesdays: The "Thousand Words" Edition

SQUAD

I'm really glad you guys decided to throw out the part-performance based Kerbal skills for something more substantial and less D&D. I'm sure building up a proper range of crew skills instead of quick & easy part buffs was difficult, but it's clearly getting a better response than the outcry you had over the last model.

Still holding my breath that none of the other other role skillsets have "boost %part% %stat% by x%" but assuming every skill is pilot-based and not rocket-based I'll be really happy/impressed.

Having a new gameversion ready at christmas sales would be the ultimate opportunity for a good business, and so I think the gonna see miracles happend during the next two weeks.

Also I vote for the "Beta than ever", sounds somehow better than "Beta 4 ever" :D

I’ve been working with Kasper trying to set a test instance for a new forum software. We want to check it and see how it works, and if it fits what we’re looking for and it’s a better option than vBulletin, we may want to change the KSP Forums.
I just hope this is a new forum software and not an outsourcing to a third party, as was the case with Spaceport's closure.

Otherwise, .90 is shaping up to be a really awesome release.

So I can have a BadS and a SmrtaS in my crew? Awesome. There's half of the reason I use mechjeb right there.

HarvesteR: Congrats, sounds like multiple plans are coming together! Also, I'm curious what the desk-computer hybrid looks like :D

Maxmaps: You know what KSP merch I think I'd buy? Flags.

EDIT: Oh and that last squadcast, with the runthrough of early versions - get that on youtube. It's a quality episode that deserves maximum exposure.

Edited by pxi

I disagree. I like the trial and error of KSP, EVEN with FAR and 3.2x scale RSS (and also, even when I played 6.4x scale RSS). Knowing everything about your delta-v removes the rocketry is a gut feel part of KSP. At a certain point you can sort of get a good feeling of the LFO and Engines needed to reach orbit and go to places. I've often noticed that players who use Kerbal Engineer lose this ability when they go back to Stock, they always overbuild or underbuild quite a bit more. And really, does knowing your Delta-V really help that much for anything but a direct replica of something? You're probably going to use your previous stage for a landing [if you overbuilt your rocket but not the lander] anyway.

Obviously you could turn them off. Nobody wants clutter they don`t need.

Felipe, the heartiest of congratulations, and my hope that the craziness of this mad dash to finishing .90 does not, and you do not let it, interfere with the happiest of nuptials. :)

Regarding information, I play with my eyes closed. Anything else interferes with my gut instinct for rocketry. I demand that all true kerbals do likewise, everybody else is a cheating cheater who doesn't understand the true meaning of kerbal.

"It's one small step for a man, one giant leap for two lifetimes". Congrats, Felipe!

Loving the Kerbal scout badges - can we get those sewn on their uniforms?

It opens up the way partless mods can be added - e.g. a thrust balancer mod becomes a high-level Kerbal skill. Flying VTOLs and asymmetric craft is no mean feat, so developing your first pilot capable of flying them is a real achievement...and a tragedy if you kill them!

Engineer skills could be things like fuel balancing, and certain experiments would require higher level Scientists. As a fan of the Final Frontier mod (a they get badges for skills, so should they get ribbons for landmark achievements), I'm looking forward to this!

Fixed that for you. Now it's funny.

Get it? Kneeling down on one knee, or perhaps Nieling down on one knee? Niel Armstrong? :P

"One small kneel ('Neil') for man, one giant leap for two lifetimes"

Now funny AND spelled correctly :)

Applause to everyone, especially (speaking as a software developer) to the two women brave enough to marry people involved in software development. Mind you, now I think about it, if you're friends are in marketing then software probably seems a pretty sane world!

I missed the 'merchandising' bit; what I'd like is something I can afford, apart from a bumper-sticker (for which I can't afford the bumper!). Mugs @ £8 are way too much, particularly. Obviously Slideways is nice, but has no chance.

Also, with everyone else; yes the experience thing looks good. Bit tame, but inline with what I'd hoped for, thanks to listening to us all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.