Devnote Tuesdays: The "Thousand Words" Edition

SQUAD

I still like `0.90 The Final Countdown`

So finally Kerbal Stats have something they can do now that makes sense.

We will have levels which determine pilot abilities like facing toward the maneuver node, prograde etc. I like that. Once again, SQUAD proposes something, we rip it apart and then they propose something better. This shows the system works and SQUAD are doing a good job.

I`d like it if they made the stat affect how *quickly* the kerbal turned the ship toward the desired marker, or rather how much force (or percentage of available force) they used trying to do that. Maybe it could start at 75% and work to 100%.

This would mean that, yes a kerbal with a low stat would still be able to face prograde and in most circumstances there would not be a noticable difference but if say in the atmosphere and your craft is trying to be turned away from the desired node by the air, a pilot with more skill could combat that force a little more than a pilot with low skill, even if they can both face prograde. If your craft is not symmetrical then a pilot with a higher stat could control the craft at a slightly higher thrust before wandering off prograde and so forth. Nothing too dramatic but a difference based on the stat.

I really like the idea that different probe cores would have different pilot skills. This is a must IMHO

I always said there was place in the stock game for parts of MechJeb and now they have started appearing. This is good.

Now we just need some of the informational displays and the game will feel much more complete and fleshed out. Maybe Kerbal Engineer Redux would be a better mod to look at for those? IMHO it is more accurate with complex craft especially difficult staging.

Now we just need some of the informational displays and the game will feel much more complete and fleshed out. Maybe Kerbal Engineer Redux would be a better mod to look at for those? IMHO it is more accurate with complex craft especially difficult staging.

I disagree. I like the trial and error of KSP, EVEN with FAR and 3.2x scale RSS (and also, even when I played 6.4x scale RSS). Knowing everything about your delta-v removes the rocketry is a gut feel part of KSP. At a certain point you can sort of get a good feeling of the LFO and Engines needed to reach orbit and go to places. I've often noticed that players who use Kerbal Engineer lose this ability when they go back to Stock, they always overbuild or underbuild quite a bit more. And really, does knowing your Delta-V really help that much for anything but a direct replica of something? You're probably going to use your previous stage for a landing [if you overbuilt your rocket but not the lander] anyway.

Hey look, autopilot is coming to the core game! :P Seriously though, SmartASS is one of the most useful functions of MechJeb for me, something similar in stock is greatly appreciated. It usually doesn't take much in the way of pilot skill to keep a ship pointed at a navball marker in orbit, glad this is being automated. (How will it work in sandbox?)

Congrats on you upcoming nuptials, HarvesteR. To both you and Rowsdower I say this: Before getting married, most of my friends razzed me about life being over after marriage, but getting married turned out to be the best decision I ever made. At least, that's what she tells me. :)

Has there been any news on an OS-X 64-bit build? I'm not terribly optimistic about it, given the current OS-X Unity 4 bugs, but figured now would be the time to ask.

Congrats Felipe! I think the whole lot of you Squad devs need to take a good long break after 0.90. Especially those of you that are suddenly married!

I disagree. I like the trial and error of KSP, EVEN with FAR and 3.2x scale RSS (and also, even when I played 6.4x scale RSS). Knowing everything about your delta-v removes the rocketry is a gut feel part of KSP. At a certain point you can sort of get a good feeling of the LFO and Engines needed to reach orbit and go to places. I've often noticed that players who use Kerbal Engineer lose this ability when they go back to Stock, they always overbuild or underbuild quite a bit more. And really, does knowing your Delta-V really help that much for anything but a direct replica of something? You're probably going to use your previous stage for a landing [if you overbuilt your rocket but not the lander] anyway.

Knowing the numbers is a vital part of space exploration. Even by knowing how many tanks and which engine you'll need through trial and error, you've still developed your own numbering system. Knowing delta v is simply a more precise way of doing the same thing. Sure, we could do the math ourselves. I did that myself before KER to find delta v. ...but NASA doesn't do the math on paper for each launch. They'll developed software to help them, much as KER helps many of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...

Congrats Felipe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.