[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

Is there any plans for greater support around DDS textures? (DDSLoader support)? (by support I mean either a native pre-compressed alternate files inside the download or a separate download pack for those wishing to use the DDSLoader to save time/ram ?)

This looks amazing :D

Anybody tried it with 64k yet? If not, I'll be reporting back in a few...

UPDATE: Looks mostly great with 64k, actually.

Install order of Renaissance Pack, previous Astronomer Pack, 64k, latest Astronomer pack and I'm only seeing some minor clipping on Mun around the north pole and some weird aura around Vall (in map mode).

So, if anyone is hesitating to use this because they're playing 64k, go for it anyway. :)

Edited by boosters++

After playing for a couple of hours with this, I can honestly say this is freakin' amazing! Kerbin looks tops from LKO.

Criticisms: The upper layer of Jool clouds moves wayyy too fast. I have no idea if this was planned, but that would easily be around 10km/s.

The lightning is pretty frequent. The lightning is beautiful, and it fits in well (especially on the night side), but it is far too frequent.

Also, the lens flare (the recommended one) looks really out of place at a sunset in orbit.

But! The clouds are amazing aswell as the colour of Kerbin's atmosphere and Jool's clouds. Look forward to player some more, Mr Astronomer!

@Astronomer

Is there any reason you removed the phosphorescent clouds on Laythe? I have been looking forward to this pack quite a bit, and it looks incredible, but between Laythe clouds and the astonishingly thin clouds on Kerbin I actually reinstalled Edge of Oblivion instead. Maybe I just installed wrong? I really loved Laythe's clouds.

I made this just for you:

http://www./download/c2wz7d45y27q6pn/BONUS+Biofluorescent+Laythe+DLC.zip

I also put the link in the album with an image showing how it looks (you already know how it looks). ;]

I made this just for you:

http://www./download/c2wz7d45y27q6pn/BONUS+Biofluorescent+Laythe+DLC.zip

I also put the link in the album with an image showing how it looks (you already know how it looks). ;]

Oh my god Astronomer that was so awesome of you. Thank you so so so much. One more question: Is DOE required for Interstellar? And if I don't have it installed, do I need the DOE folder in the Auroras Extension?

Excited about this!

But I'm shocked to say I haven't been able to add the basic (no optional items) to a clean stock install of 0.25 (x86). On a Windows 7 machine with 8 GB of RAM it crashes on the main menu. I presume I should be able to do this?

I went back through one step at a time and here is what I'm doing...

Windows 7 - 8 GB RAM - Clean install of KSP - Graphics settings to the max

- Game loads and runs without issue

1st Step - Install necessary mods (is there a particular version of Texture Replacer recommended? I installed 2.0.2)

- Installed EVE v7.4, PlanetShine v0.2.2, TextureReplacer v2.0.2 in order

2nd Step - Volumetric Clouds - 256 - Default Resolution (recommended)

- Copied contents of GameData to GameData

3rd Step - 3rd Step - Core Mod (just clouds) - Only Core Mod

- Left KSP_Data unmodified

- Game crashes after getting through load screen

- RAM is going pretty wild at load time but just starts to break 3 GB before the crash

- I'll upload add logs/crash to the post in a moment

Given I'm installing the minimum options using the recommended settings and have the maximum usable RAM I'm shocked that this wouldn't work. Others having trouble? I'm still investigating and surely will find a work around I'm just curious. In the meantime I'll upload my logs and edit them into this post momentarily.

-Talon

edit:

same result with the 128 resolution Volumetric Clouds

crash dump folder in a .zip - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbs6v63h21bh3t5/2014-12-06_211712.zip?dl=0

same result when running -force-opengl

crash dump from OpenGL version - https://www.dropbox.com/s/adbisnphr9klxbm/2014-12-06_212510.zip?dl=0

Basically I notice that once it hits the main menu loading screen the RAM starts to climb until it hits 3-3.2 GB and then crashes. Suspect some looping leak. Ideas? My next step is to try an older TextureReplacer since that just updated today.

edit2:

Started over and used [0.25] TextureReplacer-1.10.0 - same result - crashing after all the parts load but while the main menu loads (says Loading.... in the lower right corner) - meanwhile Task Manager shows RAM utilization constantly growing in large chunks at that point

- pretty much out of ideas - any suggestions or tests I could try?

edit3:

I can't imagine how I would be installing this wrong but here is a copy of my GameData folder (I deleted Squad & NASAmission folders) after installing steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the first post (TextureReplacer 2.0.2, 256 clouds, none of the optional items). Is something missing?

- https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgj57q7old5p8i2/GameData.zip?dl=0

- Maybe one of the optional items are in fact required... I'll try the following

- Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 since I see that gets modified in step 3 - didn't help; nor did 1.4.1

- The Optional Main Menu Logo since it is at the main menu that things go crazy; didn't help

- Some of the text implies that PlanetShine is optional, remove that; didn't help

- I'll separately try each of the 11 optional features, maybe something required is mistakenly in there; didn't help

edit4/conclusion:

-8 GB of RAM on a 64 bit Windows 7 box isn't enough to load this at the minimum settings in DirectX mode with x86 KSP

- That's a shame since I am enjoying Edge of Oblivion with many mods as well - not sure quite why this pushes it over.

- I am able to load it at the minimum settings in x64 KSP - but that won't be a stable game :(

- By removing PlanetShine & TextureReplacer (and thus getting less than the minimum intended experience), I am able to load x86 KSP in -force-opengl mode - I plan to try this but I might enjoy Edge of Oblivion along with other mods as I was already experiencing - Astronomer's awesome work either way!

- I'd honestly be interested if others are having success with the full minimum install (steps 1-3) on a clean KSP running DirectX and x86 - anyone? is there a trick to it?

- Perhaps at some point I will also try other memory management options...

-- Active Texture Management

-- DDSLoader & KSP to DDS Batch Converter

- Overall, thanks for the awesome work! It does look great and I'm excited to find a way to utilize it!

Edited by Black-Talon

Also found that (clean install) it's impossible to load with all of the options installed (recommended ones + extras) - perhaps slightly lower res textures for the clouds & auroras & stuff are in order... I'd love the Jool clouds and all the extras, but I'd also love to be able to get the game to load - I want it all! =) Perhaps -force-opengl is the way to go, probably should have thought of that before posting.

Hello everyone !

Sorry, I don't speak english. I use Google to translate ...

Astronomer, I love your mod !!!! Thanks you !!

I do have some criticisms :

- I like the new clouds of Kerbin because rendering is better when you are at low altitudes. Rendering is smoother.

But I liked the effect of clouds on "edge of oblivion" when I was in space

Is it possible to have a setting to add clouds?

1417923276-2014-11-30-00014.jpg

- I liked the possibility to increase the density of the clouds. Is this still possible? (On Kerbin)

1417923273-2014-12-06-00025.jpg

- I liked the brown sand storms on Duna

1417923275-2014-11-30-00017.jpg

- I preferred the old visual of Eve. This represented a bigger challenge for the landing

But I really like the new rendering seen from the ground

1417923268-2014-11-30-00019.jpg

- I also loved the clouds of Larythe. Thank you for the link !!!!

For fun, a screen

1417923269-2014-11-30-00013.jpg

A thousand times thank you for your work !!

It changed my gaming experience

I just add that I use Vaporo's blue galaxy skybox, default setting for PlanetShine (darker) and I have not added Lens Flare.

In this version I prefer : Jool's clouds, snow, atmospheric scattering, semi-procedural auroras and surface glow !!

I'm a little confused, I installed and have clouds on Kerbin, Duna and Laythe, but they look terrible compared to V3 Beta (recommended resolution on both)

Eve has no clouds, none of the moons have any glow like they did in v3

Did I install it wrong?

Does it need EVE overhaul instead of EVE 7.4?

You need the optional configs in the 4th step. It is for EVE 7.4. :)

Hello! That's astonishing, Astronomer, thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough RAM to run it (using Linux, but I have only 4 Gb)... Since I have to choose, I'd prefer the city lights and dust (including storms on Duna). Can I install just them until I buy more RAM? Are they too demanding on the CPU?

Hello! That's astonishing, Astronomer, thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough RAM to run it (using Linux, but I have only 4 Gb)... Since I have to choose, I'd prefer the city lights and dust (including storms on Duna). Can I install just them until I buy more RAM? Are they too demanding on the CPU?

Don't know if it applies to Linux at all, but doing -force-opengl let me load a clean copy of KSP (dunno about a very modded one, about to find out!)

Excited about this!

But I'm shocked to say I haven't been able to add the basic (no optional items) to a clean stock install of 0.25 (x86). On a Windows 7 machine with 8 GB of RAM it crashes on the main menu. I presume I should be able to do this?

I went back through one step at a time and here is what I'm doing...

Windows 7 - 8 GB RAM - Clean install of KSP - Graphics settings to the max

1st Step - Install necessary mods (is there a particular version of Texture Replacer recommended? I installed 2.0.2)

- Installed EVE v7.4, PlanetShine v0.2.2, TextureReplacer v2.0.2 in order

2nd Step - Volumetric Clouds - 256 - Default Resolution (recommended)

3rd Step - 3rd Step - Core Mod (just clouds) - Only Core Mod

- Left KSP_Data unmodified

- Game crashes after getting through load screen

- RAM is going pretty wild at load time but just starts to break 3 GB before the crash

- I'll upload add logs/crash to the post in a moment

Given I'm installing the minimum options using the recommended settings and have the maximum usable RAM I'm shocked that this wouldn't work. Others having trouble? I'm still investigating and surely will find a work around I'm just curious. In the meantime I'll upload my logs and edit them into this post momentarily.

-Talon

edit:

same result with the 128 resolution Volumetric Clouds

crash dump folder in a .zip - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbs6v63h21bh3t5/2014-12-06_211712.zip?dl=0

same result when running -force-opengl

crash dump from OpenGL version - https://www.dropbox.com/s/adbisnphr9klxbm/2014-12-06_212510.zip?dl=0

Basically I notice that once it hits the main menu loading screen the RAM starts to climb until it hits 3-3.2 GB and then crashes. Suspect some looping leak. Ideas? My next step is to try an older TextureReplacer since that just updated today.

edit2:

Started over and used [0.25] TextureReplacer-1.10.0 - same result - crashing after all the parts load but while the main menu loads (says Loading.... in the lower right corner) - meanwhile Task Manager shows RAM utilization constantly growing in large chunks at that point

- pretty much out of ideas - any suggestions or tests I could try?

edit3:

I can't imagine how I would be installing this wrong but here is a copy of my GameData folder (I deleted Squad & NASAmission folders) after installing steps 1, 2, and 3 as described in the first post (TextureReplacer 2.0.2, 256 clouds, none of the optional items). Is something missing?

- https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgj57q7old5p8i2/GameData.zip?dl=0

- Maybe one of the optional items are in fact required... I'll try the following

- Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 since I see that gets modified in step 3 - didn't help; nor did 1.4.1

- The Optional Main Menu Logo since it is at the main menu that things go crazy; didn't help

- Some of the text implies that PlanetShine is optional, remove that; didn't help

- I'll separately try each of the 11 optional features, maybe something required is mistakenly in there; didn't help

edit4/conclusion:

-8 GB of RAM on a 64 bit Windows 7 box isn't enough to load this at the minimum settings in DirectX mode with x86 KSP

- That's a shame since I am enjoying Edge of Oblivion with many mods as well - not sure quite why this pushes it over.

- I am able to load it at the minimum settings in x64 KSP - but that won't be a stable game :(

- By removing PlanetShine & TextureReplacer (and thus getting less than the minimum intended experience), I am able to load x86 KSP in -force-opengl mode - I plan to try this but I might enjoy Edge of Oblivion along with other mods as I was already experiencing - Astronomer's awesome work either way!

- I'd honestly be interested if others are having success with the full minimum install (steps 1-3) on a clean KSP running DirectX and x86 - anyone? is there a trick to it?

- Perhaps at some point I will also try other memory management options...

-- Active Texture Management

-- DDSLoader & KSP to DDS Batch Converter

- Overall, thanks for the awesome work! It does look great and I'm excited to find a way to utilize it!

You not the only one with it. Have the same problem. Using ksp 32 bit because plan on using some mods that do not like the 64 bit and turn themselves off if use in 64 bit. Game gets to the loading screen where its loading the stuff but never gets farther then the boulder items. Task manager shows ram usage climbing fast and this is with the aggressive active texture manager. So maybe something looping or a memory leak or something. No idea why this one has this problem when I can use the edge of oblivion with tons of other mods and the ram barely breaks 2.4 gigs. So any ideas whats up?

64 bit is necessary. 8 GB is not enough and transformed my HDD into a makeshift RAM. Active Texture Management crashes and OpenGL crashes (at least on me).

@Black-Talon Amazing troubleshooting ! (failed though)

I can't run anything but the basic package either, it works but just putting on a couple of extras to get it up to the same standard as the Edge of Oblivion pack means constant CTD's, literally seconds in the game followed by a crash, and without the extras it looks nowhere near as good as the previous version.

I suspect it's only really possible to run this on x64 or maybe on a completely unmodded x86, either way that's not an option so I'll have to go back to Edge of Oblivion.

Beautiful work Astronomer!

I unfortunately cant even get the basic loaded on a fresh Ksp install, I watched my memory rise to about 2.8 on start up and then the error message of doom pop up. I have linked my output logs in the hopes its something other than memory.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Kerbal%20logs

I was also wanting to know, possible to use the optional configs with edge of oblivion or are they only compatible with Interstellar?

Thanks in advance :cool:

hmm im running this along with a bunch of the stuff from the renasance pack use the opengl add to that another 90 mods and ima t 2.6gb ram on start screen. im not using the skybox or the tr files. with just the clouds this mod takes up around 400mb of ram.

here the .cfg i usehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/wmwv8y1r6s75gml/Cloudsv2.rar?dl=0( eve volmetrics are off so u have to enbale them ingame on the clouds.) there no .dll in the folder its just .cfg u will have to install rensaance pack and all its depedneces fist then put in astromaners cloud files. just read the .cfg to know which ones u need. besides using any graphic mod u should be tailoring it to your taste