Abhorrent usage of English in private sector missions/contracts

THX1138

I haven't played in a few months (since an update broke my rocket). I started my game up and now there's a new feature wherein I can accept contracts from external organisations. Who wrote the explanations of those contracts? Were they put through Google Translate several times? They're unintelligible.

Here's a brief example. Attempting to parse it makes me nauseous.

"The company heads working at Sean's Cannery felt mostly assured about whether we were making very little progress towards finding out whether a day on Kerbin was apparently 6 hours long"

Who wrote the explanations of those contracts?

The games procedural text generation. Its just a semi-random combination of preselected adjectives, nounds, phrases, etc.

If it doesn't fail the turing test, KSP developers would apparently be missing their true calling as developers of AI.

Random generation of meaningful text is not trivial.

Random generation of gibberish is easier.

This sums it up, the actual body of the contracts explains the contract itself, everything else is just flavour text that can be improved later on in development.

Basically, it's easier to get a computer to write Engrish as opposed to English :), i'd rather the devs work on something important, like new parts and features, as opposed to spend a week on trying to figure out how to make randomly generated contract explanations, that are already explained nicely in the actual body of the contract.

(note typo)

i'd rather the devs work on something important, like new parts and features, as opposed to spend a week on trying to figure out how to make randomly generated contract explanations, that are already explained nicely in the actual body of the contract.

(note typo)

Fine but I'd rather they didn't waste my time trying to extract meaning where there isn't any. The time they've saved themselves they've cost everyone else. I'd rather there was no explanation at all than what is presently in place.

I kind of like the contract text because of how silly it is.

This. I wonder if the OP also gets upset at the flavor text when you hover over parts in the VAB/SPH. Some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about it seems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.