[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I'd recommend moving the technology required for Oxygen tanks from 'Basic Capsules' to 'Survivability'.

In my RP-0 story, I followed historic flight as much as possible and tried to break the altitude record in and X-15 class cockpit. My pilots kept dying from oxygen deprivation, which would not be available until I researched Basic Capsules. Basic oxygen masks had been available since WW2 (B-17 bombers used them), so should be available earlier. By putting it in the 'survivability' tech node, you are ensured that whether you research Basic Capsules or High Speed Flight first (both depend on survivability) you can reach space without dying of lack of oxygen.

Water and Food can remain as is, as the X-15 is not meant for multi-day missions.

@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:FOR[RP-0]
{
	@TANK[Oxygen]
	{
		%techRequired = survivability
	}
	@TANK[Water]
	{
		%techRequired = enhancedSurvivability
	}
	@TANK[Food]
	{
	}
	@TANK[LqdHydrogen]
	{
		%techRequired = hydroloxTL2
	}
}
@TANK_DEFINITION[*]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]
{
	@TANK[Oxygen]
	{
		%techRequired = survivability
	}
	@TANK[Water]
	{
	}
	@TANK[Food]
	{
	}
}

@ZaPPPa Yes, good point. Though...I thought I put a few hours of oxygen in the 1.25m cockpit--that's the one you're using, right, not the X-1? Or does it come with default life support, which equates to a modular tank, which equates to no LS because the TANKs aren't unlocked.

Ideally I'd unlock it from either node (capsules, or spaceplanes) but as things stand your solution is best for that--you should be able to pack extra oxygen on an X-15, not have a hard-set amount. Unlike the X-1 cockpit, where I *do* want to leave a hard limit (so it's not used for >100km flights, as certain youtubers are guilty of :P )

But can't we just add life support tanks and get our X-1 cockpit moon lander anyway?

On 27.1.2016 at 6:57 PM, NathanKell said:

@Temeter yep, only Lunar-rated heatshields are lunar-rated. Weird that the Soyuz isn't, that was originally designed for lunar missions. I'll have a look. I didn't know RP-0 supported the SXT Soyuz already...

Well, it's rating is hard to tell when the heatshield/ablator is part of the capsule itself.^_^

I'm not talking about soyuz tho, but the 1 man capsule that looks like the soyuz crew/reentry section. Thanks anyway, guess I have to switch to specifical heatshield parts to be sure!

Edited by Temeter

Are there any contracts for space tourists? also I'm having problems hiring new staff. I enter the corresponding building and when i select and hire one kerbal, nothing happens... i got out and try to enter again and i can't.

v0.43

• Avionics updates for American LV parts, tech node updates for American engine parts. (Thanks Chrisl!)
  • Fix issue with not displaying part requirements in stock satellite contracts. (Thanks ntimpe!)
  • Add more science result text. (Thanks ntimpe!)
  • Add tech requirements for integrated avionics.
  • Make RP-0 play better with filter extensions. (Thanks PhineasFreak!)
  • Increase 2m avionics to 130t.
  • Place and price OLDD Saturn V parts. (Thanks PhineasFreak!)
  • Place a few more SXT parts. (Thanks winged7!)
  • Tweak avionics and mass of some early probe cores for better balance.
  • Update preset to support KCT 1.3, take advantage of new multiple-pad support.
  • Changed life support resources to require Survivability, not Early Capsules (this allows life support in X-15 parts).
  • Fix some nodes that could unlock with any parent.
  • Size limit "parts" now have size limit in title. Add a silent bonus to PF fairing base and thrust plate in TL2 to support Saturn I-style stages.
  • Place and price NK-9 and NK-9V (and fix price and placement of SXT Blok V).
  • Increase level 2 pad limit to 800t.
  • Place/price VSR VA capsule.
  • Place/price a generic Apollo-era docking port.
  • Remove duplcate specializedControl node, add titles and descriptions to the avionics nodes.

I can't find which node contains the docking ports where kerbals can pass through, I only have the propellant only one. Am I being really blind?

Another question: how do I bring my science reports home? I noticed it isnt possible anymore to right-click-take experiments out of science modules (or landers etc for crew reports) and right-click-store them into capsules anymore.

Edited by CitizenVeen

One more question.

How do I plant a flag in RP0? The normal rightclickakerbal-plantflag! is not available, do I need to bring it with me on a ship?
And what options does the Apollo Lunar descent module have? (apart from being a nicely formed engine, and tank). I noticed I could 'deploy' it (it opens up), but there is no scientific experiment or wathever that I can take from it (as an eva, it can take photo's though ). Or is it just for showing purposes?

For anyone having issues on windows i find this setup to work well:

- Use the mod list in this CKAN file https://www.dropbox.com/s/068jmpricg0f6we/rp-0.ckan?dl=0  with the addition of the mods, versions patched for 1.0.5, science alert & Kerbal engineer

- Run ksp in OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow)

- Use DDS4KSP with all size options set for 64 x 64 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/x83lxm6srwht5dr/DDS4KSP_0_1_7.zip?dl=0)

- Also use (just incase) active texture managmen from t ckan

- Use RSS 2048 x 1024 textures from ckan

- use auto pruner with this prune file https://www.dropbox.com/s/6khr6wuuvuoc258/rpz_master_rc3.prnl?dl=0 autopruner found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/91365-script-autopruner-v11-prune-those-parts-that-suck-up-your-ram-2015018/

with this setup i'm running @ 2800mb at start up

NOTE:

1.install everything

2.then use autopruner with supplied .prune script

3. then run DDS4KSP on the entire gamedtat folder with all size options set for 64 x 64

4. open with your created OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow) shortcut once so active texture managment can take effect then close once you reach menu screen

5. then open with your created OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow) shortcut everytime you play

6 remember to restore from your backup in DDS4KSP and unprune with autopruner b4 you update, and again reapply it after updating

Edited by Guest
added links

On 2.2.2016 at 6:39 PM, CitizenVeen said:

Another question: how do I bring my science reports home? I noticed it isnt possible anymore to right-click-take experiments out of science modules (or landers etc for crew reports) and right-click-store them into capsules anymore.

For me that works fine. Maybe you want to elaborate on that?

16 hours ago, Aazard said:

For anyone having issues on windows i find this setup to work well:

- Use the mod list in this CKAN file https://www.dropbox.com/s/068jmpricg0f6we/rp-0.ckan?dl=0  with the addition of the mods, versions patched for 1.0.5, science alert & Kerbal engineer

- Run ksp in OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow)

- Use DDS4KSP with all size options set for 64 x 64

- Also use (just incase) active texture management

- Use RSS 2048 x 1024 textures 

- use auto pruner with this prune file https://www.dropbox.com/s/6khr6wuuvuoc258/rpz_master_rc3.prnl?dl=0

with this setup i'm running @ 2800mb at start up

So... What exactly does this do? My version is running, but its painfully slow, I've tried to minimize the mods I use, same for textures and graphics but load times are like 10 minutes, and moving in/out of the VAB is slow, and some medium sized rockets get a bit slideshowey on launch (usually get better at higher alt and after staging). 

Will running open GL be faster?

I'm got a crappy core i5 machine, 8 gigs ram and intel 4000 gfx. Its enough to run the base game fine even on moderate gfx but the mods are killing me. 

On 27.01.2016 at 7:05 PM, Matuchkin said:

Is is possible to make contracts so that, in the beginning of the career, all the contracts will be given from the navy and will only involve the development of ICBMs (maximum flight range)?

development of ICBMs, jet fighters, supersonic bombers, that would be cool!

4 minutes ago, winged said:

development of ICBMs, jet fighters, supersonic bombers, that would be cool!

I mean that, in the beginning of the American (and Russian) space agency, the navy managed all of its projects and strongly insisted that NASA only make ICBM launchers. In fact, there were even inspections on the Juno 1 booster to prevent the secret installations of sattelites. I take your idea for high-tech aerial weaponry production for granted, and think it will fit into the final stages of the career (representing the present day). NASA is currently also helping the development of extremely high-tech aircraft, including for military purposes. So I really like your addition to my idea.

7 hours ago, harlikwin said:

So... What exactly does this do? My version is running, but its painfully slow, I've tried to minimize the mods I use, same for textures and graphics but load times are like 10 minutes, and moving in/out of the VAB is slow, and some medium sized rockets get a bit slideshowey on launch (usually get better at higher alt and after staging). 

Will running open GL be faster?

I'm got a crappy core i5 machine, 8 gigs ram and intel 4000 gfx. Its enough to run the base game fine even on moderate gfx but the mods are killing me. 

this is as "trimmed down" as i have been able to get my base RP-0 install (required/suggested mods and all WIP mods but universal storage from OP...with the features i felt completed the install to my liking, stage recovery, persistence rotation, KER ect) More work could be down to the part pruner file to remove even more of the "unneeded parts", mostal fuel tanks/decouplers/wings, but its as good as i have done for now. What it should do is allow you to run RP-0 with as small a memory footprint as possible.

My lunar rated heat shields don't seem to heat up or ablate at all. I am using the CKAN RP-O install with the latest versions of everything. Any thoughts?

Edit.

I should add all the other parts seem to ablate and heat normally.

Edited by g00bd0g

On 4-2-2016 at 2:20 PM, Lilienthal said:

For me that works fine. Maybe you want to elaborate on that?

When I right click on an science module (like a goo container, a return-camera or wathever), the 'take science report' is not there. When right clicking on a crew capsule, when carrying an report with me (an EVA report that is, the others I can't take), I can't click 'store data.'
Meaning I can take no science experiments home, apart from bringing home the module that they were done in. And also, I can't bring more then 1 crew report home.