[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

I'm going to be releasing KRASH this weekend.  KRASH stand for: Kerbal Ramification Artificial Simulation Hub;  in other words, it's a simulation mod, based on HoloDeck.

Magico13 may be replacing the KCT sim mode with this instead.  

The initial release will not have simulation costs included, but that is slated for the next release.  Magico13 said that your needs for the sim costs would be different from KCT's needs.

So, the obvious first question is would you be interested  in calling KRASH from within the RP-0 mod.  I'm working on an API now, and the costs I've identified as settable/configurable are:

Simulation costs have several parts:

1. Initial setup
  2. Cost per minute
  3. Restarting simulation does not have any additional cost, but cost per minute will continue to accrue
  4. Costs only apply to career mode, not science or sandbox

The costs will be configurable via an interface.  I'll have an initial setup of costs, but they will all be configurable via the interface.

Costs will be based on one  or more of the following:

1. Fixed cost
  2. Cost per part
  3. Cost per ton

Each one of the simulation parts will be able to have the cost basis set separately.  This will allow, for example, an initial fixed cost, and then a per-minute cost based on the number of parts, etc.

The API will include both setting and removing callbacks for the following events:

1. Entering the KRASH window
  2. Starting the simulation
  3. Restarting the simulation
  4. Simulation termination

and, while I haven't yet finalized this, additional functions may include:

1. Get current sim costs
  2. Add specified amount to current sim costs

Let me know what you think and if there is any interest.

I've just started having a problem with my fins (care of B9 Procedural Wings) suddenly overheating and exploding on ascent. I've tried using both the sounding rockets and the orbiter in the RP-0 tutorial, near as I can emulate them, and it happens on all of them (or would, if the initial sounding rocket cut out 5-10 s later). With the WAC Corporal-style rocket, it's happening right around 55 s into flight, in the 40 km range; with the orbiter, it happens more around the 60 km range. It's not such a big deal with the sounding rockets since they're nearly finished their burn by that point, but it's making it quite difficult to keep my orbiter doing its gravity turn, and quite often results in my second stage colliding with the first on separation.

I'm working on a clean install, just RO, RP-0 and RSS with all three's recommended mods only, plus Active Texture Management - Basic and a set of flags (all via CKAN). I've also pruned off all the parts replaceable with procedural parts, for what it's worth. I've run RP-0 previously, which was in early January of this year, but I never had any parts overheating on ascent despite constructing the exact same rockets. (I stopped playing that time due to my game constantly crashing, but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Running a minimal install of RP-0 is definitely helping :))

Is this expected behaviour, and perhaps should the wiki tutorial be updated and/or I learn to make better fins for some apparent change in heat mechanics? Or am I just bugging out? Thanks.

Edited by Hermocrates
Clarification of mod install method

I will update the tutorial, yes. But in the starting node, you only have access to WWII-vintage wings. If you want wings that survive high speed flight at low altitudes, you'll need to unlock them. The wings should be fine for Aerobee-style sounding rockets, and of course for (low-TWR) orbital rockets, but will fail on something like a Bumper-WAC. To get better wings, unlock Supersonic flight. (Next RP-0 they will be in that node; for now they are in Mature Supersonic Flight, one node away).

Oh! And make sure you have RealHeat v3.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thank you very much! (And yes, I do have RealHeat v3.)

EDIT: And it works! This also explains why the tutorial says to set the mass/strength of the fins to 0.3 to save mass, even though the early wings have a mass/strength of only 0.25 (vs 0.7 of the supersonic wings).

Edited by Hermocrates
Confir

ran into an odd issue... i did a fresh install when new version of RSS was released. I have now found that the film return experiment is no longer biome sensitive flying low/high, or in low space. has anyone else run into this issue, and if so does anyone know a fix? if any more info is needed please let me know, i'm really hopping to get this working again as i really need the last of near space of earth and moon to move forward.

The experiment definition looks correct to me: Available everywhere, biome except in space high. It has the same settings as the temperature scan. If you have other sciecne-affecting mods (Science Alert, [x] Sciecne, that sort of thing) try removing them.

Awesome,

but crud, it was science alert... any thoughts on a replacement for science alert that wont mess with experiments...its very helpful in telling me when i've crossed biomes then "alerting me".

But thank you for the fast reply

45 minutes ago, ThaZeus said:

I tried running this but it died! Here is the outpu_log file in the crash report: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HDQxgPo_IiMlZHVTJ0Ylk4RG8/view?usp=sharing

try this:

For anyone having issues on windows i find this setup to work well:

- Use the mod list in this CKAN file https://www.dropbox.com/s/068jmpricg0f6we/rp-0.ckan?dl=0  with the addition of the mods, versions patched for 1.0.5, science alert & Kerbal engineer

- Run ksp in OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow)

- Use DDS4KSP with all size options set for 64 x 64 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/x83lxm6srwht5dr/DDS4KSP_0_1_7.zip?dl=0)

- Also use (just incase) active texture managmen from t ckan

- Use RSS 2048 x 1024 textures from ckan

- use auto pruner with this prune file https://www.dropbox.com/s/6khr6wuuvuoc258/rpz_master_rc3.prnl?dl=0 autopruner found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/91365-script-autopruner-v11-prune-those-parts-that-suck-up-your-ram-2015018/

with this setup i'm running @ 2800mb at start up

NOTE:

1.install everything

2.then use autopruner with supplied .prune script

3. then run DDS4KSP on the entire gamedtat folder with all size options set for 64 x 64

4. open with your created OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow) shortcut once so active texture managment can take effect then close once you reach menu screen

5. then open with your created OpenGL popup windowed mode ( -force-opengl -popupwindow) shortcut everytime you play

6 remember to restore from your backup in DDS4KSP and unprune with autopruner b4 you update, and again reapply it after updating

PS: now that dynamic texture loader is out, try that also and see if it loads correctly

That prnl does prune some parts you might want to use, like the Atlas booster fairing and other parts of real rockets that may be difficult to replicate with more generic parts. Something to keep in mind, you can easily reinstall pruned parts if you want them back, or I just took all the FASA parts out of he prune file.

Also, I thought dynamic texture management had superseded active texture management? Works for me anyway, I occasionally get crashes on scene change but it's playable.

15 hours ago, Aazard said:

Awesome,

but crud, it was science alert... any thoughts on a replacement for science alert that wont mess with experiments...its very helpful in telling me when i've crossed biomes then "alerting me".

But thank you for the fast reply

In the Science[x] mod there's a setting that shows you when a new experiment is ready to be taken. It's not as convenient as Science Alert but can essentially do the same thing. I haven't played KSP for a few months so I can't say exactly where to change this in Science[x] but I'm sure you can 'filter' it, or something like that :/

Edited by ClLaw

I Downloaded RP-0 with all its required and recommended mods. Now, I can't name my ships or switch procedural fairing textures. When I pause KSP in flight, no selection window pops up, and I can't revert or quit. What mod can be doing this?

So I've finally conquered the moon and have enough science to unlock some more tech, but I'm running into parentless tech tree nodes? Specifically the Storage and Recycling nodes say I have unresearched requirements. Any help appreciated.

jDg2zVo.png

qoCW34y.png

67f5Ojz.png

Edited by g00bd0g

13 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@g00bd0g more or less.

@Matuchkin missed your post, sorry. Can you follow the steps in the How To Get Support sticky in modded support? A compelte modlist with versions, and your log (output-log.txt / player.log )

Ooh... Gonna try to get that tomorrow, then. I really suck at computers.

Edited by Matuchkin

Sorry, I said I was gonna be patient ;p But now I want to go further, and for that I need the short term and long term hab modules made accessible in the tech tree. Any chance this will happen soon or is there some instructions on how I can do this myself?

Thanks!

PS. Just spent the last hour trying to understand the tree.cfg and CommunityTechTree.cfg files and they don't seem to explain the complete organization of nodes and parts. For example, I can't find the "Mature Capsules" node which is where I planned to point the "short term habitation" parent link to. Yet this node exists and is populated in my RP-0 install.

Edited by g00bd0g
Can't figure out how to re-org tech tree

30 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

CTTChanges.cfg is where we make all our changes. Do check the state of RP-0 on github though, I've done some of that already.

Ah, thank you! All fixed. I am tempted to massage some of the tech tree and contribute it back if that would be helpful. PM me if that is interesting to you.