Launch a new unmanned probe

Hi all !

I don't understand what i do wrong in this contract :

hqfk3Wy.png

Once i've activated the contract, i create a new rocket (with a new name) with a Probodobodyne OKTO, a Z-100 and a Communotron 16, but the first condition of the contract never get green : why ?

Do i need solar panels instead of battery ? Have i the correct antenna ?

Thanks for answers :)

Edited by V!nc3r

Yeah, you have to build your probes to fulfill the basic conditions of the contract - in this case, it must be powered (either solars/batts or RTGs; I'm not sure that you can't get away with just sticking a battery on it as long as it remains powered long enough for you to reach the designated coordinates) and it must have an antenna.

Not building your probe to spec can be a royal pain...like in 0.25 (using FinePrint before it was stock), when I launched a probe into an orbit just inside the orbit of Mun, and then had to send up a KAS repair mission with Bob to fix the damn thing...all because I'd forgot to stick the damn antenna on it in the first place......

To be honest I see nothing wrong with a battery only satellite, it's not like Sputnik had solar panels, I'll ask Arsonide to fix this for 0.91 :)

To be honest, I think the spirit of the satellite contract is that you're trying to get a permanent com-sat or scientific satellite into orbit; if it has enough power for half a year, it's not very permanent, is it?

Unless of course, i'm totally wrong and sputnik is still in orbit around the earth and controllable? (I honestly don't know)

This is a known bug because launch clamps provide power, so that contract appears too soon.

To be honest I see nothing wrong with a battery only satellite, it's not like Sputnik had solar panels, I'll ask Arsonide to fix this for 0.91 :)

Thank you, this is what I came here looking to find out. I've done this satellite mission 3 times, because I keep forgetting something or other, but the last time, I thought I had it. The description that it must have power isn't very specific. I thought batteries would be enough, but apparently not. It would be nice if it was clearer about that, *and* didn't unlock until I had solar panels.

But, given that this is a simulation of the start of a Space program, not all of your satellites are going to be multi-year.

Your first generation of satellite is going to have a lifetime measured in days, not years.

Also; think about the first generation of satellites from a scientific stand point - we could measure things like the time dilation effects of general relativity by using satellites, it helps for more accurate measurement for it to be there for years; but if it only does a couple of orbits we can still get some value out of it!

This is a known bug because launch clamps provide power, so that contract appears too soon.

It'd be great if he could change it to specifically state SOLAR power is needed. I just got my stay-putnik into the correct orbit with a nice full 200 unit battery on it and the required antenna and... no dice :( Going to have to install KAS just to be able to ferry a panel from the launcher over to it, 'cause I really don't want to lose the funds spent on it and can't revert.

It'd be great if he could change it to specifically state SOLAR power is needed...

Could be confusing; as it's possible to send the satellite with an atomic generator, and I think that'd allow the contract to complete.

How about sustainable power as a choice of wording? Covers pretty much everything, included by mods or otherwise.

I agree, but I think there should be a reasonable minimum requirement on the battery life of the satellite (perhaps enough for 3-4 orbits with the probe core active?).

10 years worth of battery power is an insane number of batteries dude. lol

It should prevent people from just sticking batteries on it ;-).

Some contracts can be battery sat, but normal ones should require a longer lasting energy source.

Man, I thought it was me, I launched a probe and fulfilled the orbit and stab, but the new part was not checking off, even though I built it after accepting the contract. I'll have to recheck if it was stated power and antenna and chalk that up to being batt only for why it failed for now.

As for the suggestions of "power generation" or a "service life" requirement, they're all good, but really all I care about is knowing how to fulfil a contract (whether that contract is for an "early" satellite. Whatever the contract is it should be completely clear what the requirements are. No one likes thinking they have succeeded and having the game say "actually... nope", simply because the wording of the contract was vague. I get that this is the kind of thing a beta is released to find out, though.

This brings up an interesting possibility ... would a craft with probe core, detached from another craft with either probe core or command pod, be considered as a "new" craft for purposes of the contract? I'm sure it shouldn't be, but that doesn't mean it isn't, since I've seen corresponding craft (late stages of launches, allowed to deorbit under own power) with MET timers shorter than time since launch...

I wish I had seen this thread earlier... spent the last 3 hours of my life trying to figure out why my probe wasn't able to fulfill that contract ...

Well, I started with everything going fine, but got stuck on the "turn off SAS" to get the orbit verified. Returned to Spaceport, and when I got back to my probe, nothing was green anymore.

Started a new probe, but now I can't get the "Launch a new unmanned..." checked off anymore. Probe has batteries, solar panels and the required antenna.

So I can only perform this contract "in one go"?

I wish I had seen this thread earlier... spent the last 3 hours of my life trying to figure out why my probe wasn't able to fulfill that contract ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.