[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

Are you sure you installed the mod in the GameData folder? I had the same problem. I extracted the folders in the main directory at first and everything messed up like in the picture.

I am officially an idiot! Cheers for creating an account to point that out to me, working properly now (except occasionally getting the "ISA and Polar" issue)

I am officially an idiot! Cheers for creating an account to point that out to me, working properly now (except occasionally getting the "ISA and Polar" issue)

Deleting the GPS part seemed to have solved things, until one of my craft was swallowed by the Kraken, and I quickloaded. I don't think the plugin liked that, and wouldn't show me my ISA and Polar maps any more. Oh dear!

On ISA and POLAR MAPS not working.

To anybody who may find this useful: as another user who has experienced this problem (where ISA and POLAR maps are changed into a low definition blob, never getting updated anymore), I have tried what could be the cause of the issue starting with a clean install and a single MAP Satellite in orbit. A number of tests were conducted to find possible interference with other mods (I use to play with 40 mods installed), but none was found to have any effect.

Instead, the problem immediately arises when the game is changed, it seems something gets corrupted with a different save (e.g. other than persistent.sfs or quicksave.sfs) not being recognized.

To revert the situation, the best way out is to delete the files "*_ISA_topo.png" and "*_Polar_topo.png" (those files will have shrunk to less than 1 KB when the problem occurred) and let the ISA MapSat plugin regenerate them from scratch at the next restart (takes some time with the game unresponsive).

I observe that ISA Mapsat is (probably) the only mod to maintain data (the maps: *.png and *.csv) from a game within its own folder, instead of in the game folder (under GameData/saves), however there is no link with the save that originated the maps, and therefore it is susceptible to issues if data don't match.

Edited by diomedea

Have a problem with mod. Every time i switch to a craft with a ISA Mapsat my used memory jumps up around 400-500 mb. As i leave craft (space station or other craft) memory usage doesnt go down again. If i then again switch to a craft with ISA Mapsat (same/or a new one) my used memory jumps 400-500 mb further up. So i can crash my game by swithing between mapsat crafts a couple of times.

Sure it is the mapsat parts. Since i tested it. First i switch to a lander can on runway a couple of time. Used memory went a bit up every time, but down again as went to spacecenter. Then i switched to landercan with mapsat on launchpad and what i described above happened.

Have anyone tried this? Know a solution?

Edit: Hmm just reverted a flight and mb went down again :/. Seems like only way i can leave a craft with increased used memory. but strange since switching betwen one craft with mapsat and space spation a couple of times keeps increasing used memory.

Edited by Romby

No problem but this was not the only reason (-:

I also wanted to post about the broken map bugs (polar and isa) but some people already did.

Now I think we have to wait for a new version. It seems to happen randomly for me.

just installed "Mapsat 4 devbuild 2" everything ok, i put the dish on my capsule, and on launchpad screen game freezes. if i quit that dish games goes normal

i had more mods (the must have ones)

i dont installed any previous versions, only file Mapsat 4 devbuild 2.zip

its ram related? cant use it with many mods? or i need to install something besides that zip file??

thx in advance

Yeah, I have the exact same problem, not quite sure what it is, I've tried deleting everything associated with the plugin and reinstalling. Strange! And a pity, because I love this mod!

i had the same problem, but now it's solved. It was a problem of location install: don't put the files (who are in the "Innsewerants Space Agency") in KSP/Parts or KSP/ pluginData directly.

Put the general file "Innsewerants Space Agency" with all files inside in "GameData".

After that, there's normally no problem with the graphic interface of ISA MapSAT 4.

(sorry for my bad english)

I want to explore Jool system and want to send some ISA mapsat dishs on separate command pods on one mother ship, but after launch button click game is glitching. Help, how i can deliver some mapsat dishs to Jool on one mother ship?

I am experiencing a problem with the topographic maps. They only seem to display a zoomed-in detail or something after having switched ships back and forth for a bit. I am also experiencing crashes from time to time (and didnt without IMS).

ISA MAP SAT is one of my fav mods for this game. It´s sort of a pity that the author seems to have too little time to keep it up and in shape with the progress the main game is doing. In its current state, i´d not recommend using it, despite its potential awesomeness. I really wish, the author would pick a willing, able and trustworthy community member as his assistant coder. I mean the intention of the mod is obvious by now, so there is no ´vision´ to be ´betrayed´, or something like that. It´s all about implementation at this point...

For Those that like to map but find this mod is a ram hog you can try this 1 it works better http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-WIP-SCANsat-terrain-mapping

Thx alot!

Thx alot also to the author of IMS (no cynism, really!), but i guess your work has been caught up on. I sincerely am grateful to the pioniering work of yours, but it seems a claim can only be held if its continiously worked on. In that sense, i´d kindly ask you to not bicker with the devs of the other map-mod about ´rights´ or such. Though they (/he/she) could give you an honourable mention in theirs, even if they did not take a single line of code from you.

Long story short: We got a working replacement, now, and i hope there wont be any fuzz about it.

Long story short: We got a working replacement, now, and i hope there wont be any fuzz about it.

I may have missed something, if that's the case, would ask you to clarify. I never found any reference to some claim from this mod author, even less to any bickering about rights or primogeniture of the idea.

I concur with what you say, SCANSAT is now a more enjoyable mod and provides more functionality in a better GUI, while also being less intensive on RAM. Therefore, if I had to choose only one mapping mod, it would be SCANSAT. But I have the opportunity to use both, and both of them work in my install. I am still fascinated at the method used by this mod to conduct scanning in a very "close-to-reality" way. Would not use it for systematic mapping, but like at times to see what it produces.

Certainly this mod requires some work, I know it has bugs, must be optimized and improved in functionality. Unfortunately the author has not shown since Nov 11th.

Hi everybody

i'm a Mac user and i'm playing KSP on Steam. I can't figure out how to install it.

Any help?

Hey Cancanaja!

The Steam files are in /Users/'yourusername'/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Kerbal Space Program

You can navigate to this from Finder, or you can Command Shift G (go to folder shortcut) and type that path in there. Note you have to replace 'yourusername' with your actual user name. That's not a shortcut like %USERNAME% on Windows.

Once you're there you should be able to drag the folder into the GameData folder. You might want to make a shortcut (alias) on your desktop to GameData for easy access in installing other mods.

Hey Cancanaja!

The Steam files are in /Users/'yourusername'/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Kerbal Space Program

You can navigate to this from Finder, or you can Command Shift G (go to folder shortcut) and type that path in there. Note you have to replace 'yourusername' with your actual user name. That's not a shortcut like %USERNAME% on Windows.

Once you're there you should be able to drag the folder into the GameData folder. You might want to make a shortcut (alias) on your desktop to GameData for easy access in installing other mods.

Thank you very much MainSailor,

i knew where the folder was, but i couldn't get the mod operating.

I realise that i had a "don't know what" version of it with everything messed up.

I downloaded the upgraded one and now everything works perfectly. I was wondering where to put the freaking PluginData folder.

I don't know if this is the right place but i'm using Scansat mod. Are there any differences?

All my display maps (so far for Kerbin and the Mun) are only 8x8 pixel in size. Meanwhile, the Biome maps are working fine, but have the smaller format of the old verstion. I'm using the X2r4-version from the blog. I think it worked fine with the older dev build. Is this a known problem with a solution? I set the textures to half size in the KSP settings as my machine is not up to the task otherwise, if that might be a factor.

I tried to search the thread, but it's kind of hard to find good search terms for this problem. :huh:

I don't know if this is the right place but i'm using Scansat mod. Are there any differences?

I would use scansat as it has some awesome features, but the dealbreaker for me is that the scan width apparently doesn't depend on the orbit altitude. I like how you have to decide between speed and resolution with ISAmapsat, and the challenge of setting up a good mapping orbit.

I would use scansat as it has some awesome features, but the dealbreaker for me is that the scan width apparently doesn't depend on the orbit altitude. I like how you have to decide between speed and resolution with ISAmapsat, and the challenge of setting up a good mapping orbit.

Exactly. The way I see it:

ISA MapSat:

Pros: Very detailed maps, parts are actually 'scanning', realistic orbit height versus scan resolution, takes much longer to scan large planets. Dumps data into tables for other types of visualization.

Cons: Extremely resource intensive (RAM) on your computer, orbits can be finicky to completely cover planets, takes a long time to scan (yes I mentioned this twice.) Still buggy in the .22 era, and seems to have been abandoned by mod creator. Physical scanning dish part can be buggy and hard to click on, only scans terrain, won't scan while vessel is not active.

ScanSat:

Pros: Doesn't use computer resources, scans quickly. All vessels with parts installed scan even when they're not the active vessel. Scans biomes, terrain, and anomalies, and shows you the data in different formats (color and B&W relief, slope, biome). Needs multiple parts and multiple orbit heights to scan different 'layers'. Excellent 'aftermarket' antennae (by Milkshakefiend). Throw it a reasonably high polar orbit and it yields excellent coverage.

Cons: Time acceleration can scan planets extremely (and unrealistically) quickly. SAR scanning is designed to scan in a high orbit, but given a low orbit will give you the same resolution and beam width, and scan faster. Negates the need to have the 'faster, low resolution' altimetry scanners when you can just send the SAR and multispectral and scan a whole planet with a few minutes of acceleration. Stock models are pretty basic and repetitive (although that's addressed in the Pros.) Doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) export data other than the color maps in PNG format.

Thx alot also to the author of IMS (no cynism, really!), but i guess your work has been caught up on. I sincerely am grateful to the pioniering work of yours, but it seems a claim can only be held if its continiously worked on. In that sense, i´d kindly ask you to not bicker with the devs of the other map-mod about ´rights´ or such. Though they (/he/she) could give you an honourable mention in theirs, even if they did not take a single line of code from you.

What the crap is this?

A presumptuous, quasi-aggressive, backhanded complisult implying that Innsewerants has somehow been bested and is likely to become jealous and lash-out like a child?

Was there some sort of an issue to warrant this comment, or is it as absurd and condescending as it sounds?

missed a vandetta whoops, should'nt have been away so long ....

regarding thoose kind of feature i m wondering if there not a way to simulate the process @ some point something like:

@loading/leaving scene

@docking/undocking

@statusvesselmoving true/false (// stable orbit)

@else (?)

get: current time/date when @modifier precalcul/update result via math in a minimalisitic log file + show part/of precalculated result or alike

not yet looked deep in the plugins stuff but from what i have seen here and there so far seem an alternate approach for multiple scene / 2,5km limit simulating thing at some time stamps modifier insteed of always.

(just a thought between others anyway)

definetly need a terrain mapping feature/addon, (same with sat relay time realisitic or/and not)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
too much coffee typo + low batt keyboard xD

Was there some sort of an issue to warrant this comment, or is it as absurd and condescending as it sounds?

Easy there boy. His comment was a bit clumsy but pretty harmless, and by responding in such an offensive matter you are bound to drag it into conflict territory. Just leave it be and let's not make more out of it than it is.