[0.90.0] SSNC-Space Shuttle RCS Nosecone

Kamik423

Ever thought, that you need an actual nosecone for plane parts?

This mod adds a nosecone containing Monopropellant and mostly translational RCS-Thrusters.

Ideal for keeping your nose up during reentry!

now with 2 Nosecones, one actually looks like stock

My first mod, hope you like it!

Kamik423

Download (Curse)

Changelog:

V3:

• Better Texture
  • Fixed thrusters not being symmetrical
  • Fixed not showing up in Career mode (Specialized Control)

V2:

• Added a new nosecone that has fits with the MK3 Cockpit
  • Bugfixes

V1:

• Added first nosecone

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Licensed under the GNU General Public License v3

Edited by Kamik423
V3

It's not really fair to Kamik to just compliment whatever; while this certainly isn't the worst part I've ever seen, it has a lot of problems. First and foremost it's profile is completely unrelated to the stock parts it could go on. I assume this is because Kamik didn't have a good reference to design against.

Kamik, you can use Taniwha's Import/Export plugin for Blender to access the stock model, even if you don't use Blender you can use it to extract the stock model into a format your preferred suite can handle.

Second, the RCS ports appear to actually be modeled as holes in the nosecone mesh; this results in weird lighting artifacts, and the normals were not fixed after making the holes so the area around them has also gone all wibbly. These details are just so small that they should not be modeled, they should only be represented by textures; perhaps going so far as to use normals to create a lighting effect, but on suck small parts that seems unnecessary and may actually look worse at a distance; given how small they are they will usually qualify as 'at a distance'.

Get rid of the holes, and draw them on the texture

The color pallet of the texture is wholly too light, and the lines between tiles are a bit thin, and not dark enough. You can try to sample the original textures, you can use Zeblote's MBM->PNG converter to access the original texture and sample it's colors but you may still need to fiddle around and just test stuff until you get it right.

Left, Right, Back, Up, And down (but that is angled to not be heated during reentry)

inspired by this, but added yaw thrusters, and changed shape to fit better

fwdrcs_subsys.gif

they can be used for pitch and yaw, but I think roll is not very effective

for forwards direction you would need to add something like the OMS engines

Edited by Kamik423

This looks interesting, especially the reshaped nose. How difficult would it be to chop the front off the mk3 cockpit a bit closer to the cabin, and have a much larger nose section where you would have more room to work with the rcs ports?

Nice one, but it feels like it shoudl belong to some bigger part pack :)

Well, it was kind of my modding "test" the first part I ever modeled, mainly to gain experience. Probably I'll add more parts later on.

nice that you like it!

kamik423

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.