[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I would rather die instantly by vaporization, then die a painful death of corrosion by chlorine.

Not sure how accurate this is but the kopernicus wiki states;

"The average molecular weight of Tekto's air is 28.9644 g/mol, and its adiabatic index is 0.014. which indicates a composition of mostly nitrogen. Given the green color and the density of the gases, it is possible to estimate the atmosphere is 97.8% nitrogen and 2.2% chlorine.

The liquids on the surface are likely some sort of hydrocarbon, which can indicate a "water cycle" made of chlorine or hydrocarbons. As Tekto is the Titan analog, the lakes probably are liquid ethane."

However the melting point of nitrogen is -210 C and the temperature can be less then that on Tekto.

A temparature lower than -210 C is unlikely with Tekto's atmosphere, but indeed possible. It is far too cold for chlorine though, so I'd be surprised if we find that in the atmosphere. Chlorine would be an excellent explanation for the atmosphere's green color though.

I have a question regarding Tekto. I got a lander with dV of 3500 m/s or something. I found a dV map claiming Tekto needs 2600 m/s of dV to escape from. Thing is: I can't get even close to escaping from that deadly green monster of a moon. Landed the dV rating says 2953 m/s at about 500m ASL and I got a TWR of 5.6 thanks to two aerospikes.

What am I doing wrong? Did I consult the wrong dV map? Do I have to fly a very specific ascent profile? Help!

EDIT: Never mind. I made it. Had to go a lot gentler on the throttle. Hammering it to 100% all the way didn cut it :)

Edited by ShadowZone

Sorry for the lack of attention and updates recently. Been very busy with RL and other projects. One-and-a-half months of job insecurity is hopefully going to be over within a week (fingers crossed). I'm planning to get the biome maps done this weekend, so that the crowd-funded science description process can begin. That's a big part of 1.8.1, so if that's out of the way the next update will be a lot closer to release.

Yay! I'm assuming this will be a Neidon system update. Biomes and Science descriptions? Or is there a surprise or two?

I may have already said it in this thread, but I want to repeat that I simply can not play KSP without this mod anymore. It all just seems too small and empty without OPM. There are others I like very much, but IMO OPM is hands down the best planet mod out there. It all just looks so stock.

There are EVE configs to get clouds!

Even better: I'm making custom cloudmaps for OPM. Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are finished and look incredible.

On the to-do list:

- Glow on Hale, Ovok, Slate, Tekto, Polta, Priax, Wal, Tal, Thatmo and Nissee.

- Cloudmaps for Tekto

- 'Surface dust' on Ovok, Slate, Polta, Priax and Wal.

- Mist on Thatmo.

I'll try to get the glow to work this afternoon. Maybe I can finish the surface dust too, we'll see. After that I'll post a few screenshots.

However, I do not know how to embed Imgur albums. Can anyone help me with this?

There are EVE configs to get clouds!
Even better: I'm making custom cloudmaps for OPM. Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are finished and look incredible.

On the to-do list:

- Glow on Hale, Ovok, Slate, Tekto, Polta, Priax, Wal, Tal, Thatmo and Nissee.

- Cloudmaps for Tekto

- 'Surface dust' on Ovok, Slate, Polta, Priax and Wal.

- Mist on Thatmo.

I'll try to get the glow to work this afternoon. Maybe I can finish the surface dust too, we'll see. After that I'll post a few screenshots.

However, I do not know how to embed Imgur albums. Can anyone help me with this?

Already knew that there were EVE clouds, don't necro a 10-month-old post please.

Also are these clouds for OPM gonna use KopernicusExpansion? EVE kills my game :(

Already knew that there were EVE clouds, don't necro a 10-month-old post please.

Also are these clouds for OPM gonna use KopernicusExpansion? EVE kills my game :(

Sorry, but they are going to use EVE. If I'm honest, I've never heard of KopernicusExpansions. I'll do a web-search, perhaps I can make it for K.E. too.

And, EVE killing your game, do you mean that it won't start or do you mean that KSP runs out of memory?

Sorry, but they are going to use EVE. If I'm honest, I've never heard of KopernicusExpansions. I'll do a web-search, perhaps I can make it for K.E. too.

And, EVE killing your game, do you mean that it won't start or do you mean that KSP runs out of memory?

Not trying to make advertisement or anything, but have you seen the clouds mod by Eleusis? (I've helped him with compatibility configs on that mod, but the clouds were developed mostly by him)

If yes, are you making your clouds because you think that pack is lacking in something?

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything :D just curious :)

Not trying to make advertisement or anything, but have you seen the clouds mod by Eleusis? (I've helped him with compatibility configs on that mod, but the clouds were developed mostly by him)

If yes, are you making your clouds because you think that pack is lacking in something?

I'm making my clouds because I think OPM deserves cloud textures that were made specifically for OPM, not because I think that other pack is lacking in something.

KopernicusExpansion is already supported by OPM right out of the box. Just download it from the forum thread (link in my sig), or CKAN, and you'll have the procedural clouds.
I'm making my clouds because I think OPM deserves cloud textures that were made specifically for OPM, not because I think that other pack is lacking in something.
EVE has a memory leak, which causes sudden spikes in RAM usage and crashes. Also I like KE but it doesn't give clouds to terrestrial planets, or Tekto.

EVE has a memory leak, which causes sudden spikes in RAM usage and crashes. Also I like KE but it doesn't give clouds to terrestrial planets, or Tekto.

I checked out the KE thread, and indeed, it does not yet support clouds, so even if I'd understand how KE works, I can't add clouds yet.

Though, my KSP runs just fine with EVE installed, and my computer's processor is an Intel i3-3110M processor (if I remember correctly) so that isn't super-quality hardware.

Try to run KSP with EVE and Active Texture Management. Ever since I've installed ATM, my KSP runs just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, packs like Astronomer's Visual Pack: Edge of Oblivion and Interstellar V2 usually contain 8K textures, which may be a smack in the face for some computers. My textures, though, are never higher than 4K.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.