[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Well, first report incoming: I don't know what you fixed in new OPM version, but it seems that memory leak problem is almost solved - game usually don't crash on landing unless I do something REALLY stupid like setting in Hyperedit 10km orbit around Ovok, then changing longitude of the ascending node to move lander to the bright side of Ovok and then BAM! I spawn under surface - destroyed & game crash. Or drifting just a few meter above Hale surface - i activate time warp, with no physics craft falls under surface - i panic, shut down time warp - physics is turned on - BAM! No more lander. Well, at least I built the first Hale underground travel system. Gonna draw a unique ribbon for this, LOL.

So, everything is fine and just perfect. Well, almost:FuoMNEpBHBo.jpg On Demand Loading problems, AFAIU. And by the way, if the textures are still like this and you try to land on them - you fall under textures - BOOM! That's how Tekto Underground Space Station was founded.
But that's OK - I mean, it is ok to wait for them to load for some minutes. The game don't crashes anymore (well, it still does but veeeery rare), and that's perfect.

Thank you, @CaptRobau . Whatever you changed in the latest patch, it helped a lot.

17 minutes ago, BoPET said:

Well, first report incoming: I don't know what you fixed in new OPM version, but it seems that memory leak problem is almost solved - game usually don't crash on landing unless I do something REALLY stupid like setting in Hyperedit 10km orbit around Ovok, then changing longitude of the ascending node to move lander to the bright side of Ovok and then BAM! I spawn under surface - destroyed & game crash. Or drifting just a few meter above Hale surface - i activate time warp, with no physics craft falls under surface - i panic, shut down time warp - physics is turned on - BAM! No more lander. Well, at least I built the first Hale underground travel system. Gonna draw a unique ribbon for this, LOL.

So, everything is fine and just perfect. Well, almost:FuoMNEpBHBo.jpg On Demand Loading problems, AFAIU. And by the way, if the textures are still like this and you try to land on them - you fall under textures - BOOM! That's how Tekto Underground Space Station was founded.
But that's OK - I mean, it is ok to wait for them to load for some minutes. The game don't crashes anymore (well, it still does but veeeery rare), and that's perfect.

Thank you, @CaptRobau . Whatever you changed in the latest patch, it helped a lot.

I think it was more changes to 1.1.2 and Kopernicus that fixed your issue.

Ovok is a bit weird and buggy. It's just not how I wanted. Have a few technical fixes that might solves most of its issues for 2.0, but until then just consider it the odd one out. I've had the Hale thing happen too. It's because of the extremely low gravity not being able to hold you down. Lift off completely, even for a fraction of a meter, and you'll be in orbit and go on rails if you warp. Hale really needs smart engineering to stay on, which is part of the fun. Hint: use an ion engine to keep yourself down. I'll let you figure out in what way.

9 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Once this post is about 15 mins old you can find hotfixed version of OPM on SpaceDock. In about 30 mins Curseforge should be up-to-date. Only those who've already downloaded it, need to download it again. Anyone else will get 1.9.5.1 automatically from then on.

Thanks for this mod. I don't understand why it's 1.9.5. Do you need us to do some testing ** ? (Use Hyperedit on all bodies to check for strange behaviour) or is it ready to play with (in such case, It'll take quite a time to get there in my career game)

** In that case, is there some specific things you want us to check ?

Hello, so I've just added OPM to my install and have been playing with it for a couple hours (on a brand new career save which I created right after installing OPM) and one thing that I began to notice was that on the loading screens the game would stop responding momentarily and then resume. This only seems to have started happening since I installed OPM (Though I also have about 90 other mods installed, this issue just started after installing OPM), on two occasions now my game has crashed when the game stops responding on a loading screen. The first time it simply stopped responding for about 10 minutes and I had to kill the program, but the second time it was generous enough to do an actual "crash" and produce an output_log file.

I'm not really experienced with KSP crashes and so I don't really know what to be looking for in the output_log, but I've posted this here because it only appears to have started since I installed OPM.. I've provided the output_log file below in hopes that someone more knowledgeable than me can take a look at it and I'm going to be removing OPM from my install in order to see if the problem continues to occur.. I'll either edit this post or post a new reply with my findings. (depending on if somebody replies to this post by then or not.)

OUTPUT_LOG FILEhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74725194/KSP/output_log_05-03-2016-5-27pm.zip

3 hours ago, Warzouz said:

Thanks for this mod. I don't understand why it's 1.9.5. Do you need us to do some testing ** ? (Use Hyperedit on all bodies to check for strange behaviour) or is it ready to play with (in such case, It'll take quite a time to get there in my career game)

** In that case, is there some specific things you want us to check ?

Ready to play with. Since it's a minor update and I want to keep the nice 2.0 for the big terrain update I chose 1.9.5. Squad has sometimes also done this. 

23 hours ago, CoriW said:

Hello, so I've just added OPM to my install and have been playing with it for a couple hours (on a brand new career save which I created right after installing OPM) and one thing that I began to notice was that on the loading screens the game would stop responding momentarily and then resume. This only seems to have started happening since I installed OPM (Though I also have about 90 other mods installed, this issue just started after installing OPM), on two occasions now my game has crashed when the game stops responding on a loading screen. The first time it simply stopped responding for about 10 minutes and I had to kill the program, but the second time it was generous enough to do an actual "crash" and produce an output_log file.

I'm not really experienced with KSP crashes and so I don't really know what to be looking for in the output_log, but I've posted this here because it only appears to have started since I installed OPM.. I've provided the output_log file below in hopes that someone more knowledgeable than me can take a look at it and I'm going to be removing OPM from my install in order to see if the problem continues to occur.. I'll either edit this post or post a new reply with my findings. (depending on if somebody replies to this post by then or not.)

OUTPUT_LOG FILEhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74725194/KSP/output_log_05-03-2016-5-27pm.zip

Alright so as an update to this, I've been playing for about 5 hours since I removed OPM and have found that the issue is no longer occuring. This leads me to believe that it has something to do either with OPM, or with a conflict between OPM and another one of my mods. Well, I guess I'll have to test OPM on a stock install and see if the problem persists and if it does not I'll have to narrow down which mod seems to be causing the problem.

As a bit of a side question, does anybody know if KSP has some sort of mod limit? I mean there used to be the RAM limit since it was a 32-bit program... But now that it's running in 64-bit that's not an issue anymore. I'm asking because I'm unsure that there is actually a conflict happening anywhere and am curious if it's simply the fact that I'm running around 90 mods that's causing the problem? Does anyone else here run such a heavily modded install as well and if so have you had any issues with the game occasionally crashing?

UPDATE: Alright so I didn't end up testing this on stock or narrowing down any conflicting mods, though I did reinstall OPM.. Surprisingly the issue seems to have resolved itself as I'm no longer crashing now even though I have OPM installed.. Sort of strange but I'll take it. :)

Edited by CoriW

I thought I would share something amazing.  OPM seems to automagically integrate with 64k.  Just dropping the unmodified OPM directory in alongside 64k results in all the new planets scaling neatly.  I haven't done much playtesting, but no doubt those behind Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions are doing good things.

ijtQbnWm.png

Edited by Sandworm

23 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

I thought I would share something amazing.  OPM seems to automagically integrate with 64k.  Just dropping the unmodified OPM directory in alongside 64k results in all the new planets scaling neatly.  I haven't done much playtesting, but no doubt those behind Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions are doing good things.

ijtQbnWm.png

64k does not use SigmaDimensions

Id you installed it through ckan the most likely scenario is that ckan installed @Tellion compatibility patch for OPM with 64k

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

64k does not use SigmaDimensions

Id you installed it through ckan the most likely scenario is that ckan installed @Tellion compatibility patch for OPM with 64k

It didn't last week.  It does now.  The cfg for 64k is now only 21 lines and an opm patch is unnecessary.

Version 1.2.0.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.2

Released on 2016-05-01

• Updated for KSP 1.1.x
  • Now uses Sigma Dimensions to rescale
Edited by Sandworm

4 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

It didn't last week.  It does now.  The cfg for 64k is now only 21 lines and an opm patch is unnecessary.

Released on 2016-05-01

• Updated for KSP 1.1.x

Oh cool, I had no idea :)

50 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

Released on 2016-05-01

• Updated for KSP 1.1.x

Does it just scale everything in OPM up 6.4x?  I think Tellion left some of the minor moons at their current scale (or maybe 3.2 scale for some?), but just increased their orbit size. Either way it should require a lot less config work. :)

1 minute ago, lurkoholic said:

Does it just scale everything in OPM up 6.4x?  I think Tellion left some of the minor moons at their current scale (or maybe 3.2 scale for some?), but just increased their orbit size. Either way it should require a lot less config work. :)

Looking at the 64k cfg, it appears to simply scale all distances between bodies by 6.4x, the size of bodies also by 6.4 and atmospheres by 1.3.  No moon or body-specific changes.

Here's a picture I took of the upcoming 2.0 patch:

D5xOS3H.png

This shot of Wal shows off the procedural craters that I've added. I won't add them to all bodies, but places like Slate and Wal really benefit from them. The main terrain changes of the OPM bodies is slowly becoming more final each dev session. After that the bulk of the work is custom terrain textures and making better use of ground scatter.

38 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

--SNIP!--

Woah... somebody must of slipped me something because that can't be that good looking...

Edited by Andem

16 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Here's a picture I took of the upcoming 2.0 patch:

D5xOS3H.png

This shot of Wal shows off the procedural craters that I've added. I won't add them to all bodies, but places like Slate and Wal really benefit from them. The main terrain changes of the OPM bodies is slowly becoming more final each dev session. After that the bulk of the work is custom terrain textures and making better use of ground scatter.

hey capt, do you plan to update the scaled version textures to account for those changes? or will the procedural craters be so little that they are visible only from close up?

They will be updated. There's almost no size small enough that they wouldn't be noticeable. Bit of an issue since KittopiaTech and KopernicusExpansion are not yet 1.1+ compatible, but maybe they will be when I come to this point (I don't need to generate them until I'm fully done). 

I have the same issue danfarnsy described above using the latest versions of both Kopernicus and OPM; that is, a very regular message in the logs:

ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData/Tekto_height.dds of path OPM/KopernicusConfigs/SarnusMoons/PluginData/Tekto_height.dds, autoload = True

This seems to make the game crash (CTD) regularly, after about 10/15 minutes playing. Removing Kopernicus & OPM solves the issue. As danfarnsy said, this is likely to be an issue with Kopernicus though, not OPM.

Update time:

• Today the mod will probably cross the 175,000 download mark (includes those from KerbalStuff). Just so happy that so many people like this mod.
  • I'm starting work on overhauling more and more planetary terrains and the number of terrains that can be considered 'done' is also steadily increasing.
  • The final set of textures that I will use is also coalescing. I plan to release those as the Open Terrain Texture Pack. Other planet pack creators can include OTTP in their download or require it to be downloaded. Either way, by having a common set of textures more creators can create better looking terrain and we'll avoid the issue with players having to load 100s of MBs of textures because everyone is using a different set.

I thought I'd also show the following Polta WIP image to explain how much fun I think procedural systems can be in KSP. In the screenshot you can see a big crater which was hand-crafted when Eudae55 made the height map for Polta back in the day. Within it you can see two smaller craters, which were generated procedurally by the game itself. It's a surprising result, which really helps make this crater stand out from others on Polta/other bodies.

j2ThVA3.png

Beautiful work, CaptRobau!!! I adore this mod. I've yet to visit any of the new planets, but they're on my TODO! I love seeing the little dots i nthe sky, and knowing I'll head there. I'm also putting up a telescope soon, so I can zoom in on them!

2 hours ago, sigmareaver said:

Hello,

I don't know if its just me, but in ckan this doesn't show up under Compatible and the check box to install isn't available. I'm updated to the latest beta according to Steam.

Perhaps you should quit the beta program. KSP 1.1.2 is not a beta version. Quit the beta and update to the latest public release of 'non-beta' KSP, version 1.1.2, then try again. Furthermore, you need the latest version of Kopernicus.

A quick heads-up for everyone who is having pixelFloatD errors, the next version of Kopernicus will no longer have this bug. Please keep an eye on the main Kopernicus thread and update your Kopernicus version when Kopernicus itself updates, that should fix the issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.