[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Meh, disabling the biomes via MM does not seem to work (or, more likely, I am missing something), so I will toss this here:

@Kopernicus

{

@Body[Hale]

{

@Properties

{

!biomeMap {}

!Biomes {}

}

}

@Body[Ovok]

{

@Properties

{

!biomeMap {}

!Biomes {}

}

}

@Body[slate]

{

@Properties

{

!biomeMap {}

!Biomes {}

}

}

}

Notice any issues with that? A more brutish method would of course be replacing the system.cfg, but that is less userfriendly than a MM patch.

This wil fix it

{
@Body[Hale]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
@Body[Ovok]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
@Body[Slate]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
}
@Kopernicus

Your problem were the "{}" after biomeMap

I've tried installing the 6.4x configs for this mod pack, namely Tellion's and it has worked perfectly. The only issue is that when the new gas giants are looked at at an angle, they stop rendering and become invisible. It's not game-breaking, but very annoying, and if anyone knows why it happens, that would be great. I've already tried re-installs and I've checked through the config files to see if there was a fault there, but I couldn't find anything weird. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've tried installing the 6.4x configs for this mod pack, namely Tellion's and it has worked perfectly. The only issue is that when the new gas giants are looked at at an angle, they stop rendering and become invisible. It's not game-breaking, but very annoying, and if anyone knows why it happens, that would be great. I've already tried re-installs and I've checked through the config files to see if there was a fault there, but I couldn't find anything weird. Help would be appreciated, thanks.

Tellion mentioned that bug in another thread, but without an answer. I myself have none either. Could be a Kopernicus bug, but it might just be a Unity by product.

- - - Updated - - -

This wil fix it

{
@Body[Hale]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
@Body[Ovok]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
@Body[Slate]
{
@Properties
{
!biomeMap
!Biomes {}
}
}
}
@Kopernicus

Thanks. I'll copy that and put you in the contributors section, if you don't mind.

This wil fix it

Ah, thank you very much! I thought you always needed those :)

The only issue is that when the new gas giants are looked at at an angle, they stop rendering and become invisible.

Yeah, it really is damn annoying. Since it does not seem to happen with Jool I guess its Kopernicus, but Kopernicus seems a little deserted atm, so no quick fixes there ._.

Also, I think I screwed Hale up. Due to the way the game calculates SOIs and collisions, making asteroids with realistic densities seems impossible. What happens right now is that even as you approach Hale, you will not get an encounter. Even when you fly straight at it, you will actually clip through the terrain, *then* get an encounter, and, as soon as you have it, KSP realizes that collisions are a thing and explodes your ship ;D I will be fixing that soon.

Also, I think I screwed Hale up. Due to the way the game calculates SOIs and collisions, making asteroids with realistic densities seems impossible. What happens right now is that even as you approach Hale, you will not get an encounter. Even when you fly straight at it, you will actually clip through the terrain, *then* get an encounter, and, as soon as you have it, KSP realizes that collisions are a thing and explodes your ship ;D I will be fixing that soon.

If that's just a config file edit, could you just tell me what changes would need to be made, I could do them myself, as a quick fix before you release a proper update. Thanks,

Sahadara

Sure! Ksp calculates SOIs this way: r = sma(m1/m2)^(2/5), where sma is the semi-major axis, m1 is the mass of the orbiting (smaller) object and m2 is the mass of the orbited object. Change either Sarnus' mass, or Hale's radius and/or mass in the system.cfg in Kopernicus/Config/. I would recommend going for a 19.2km radius with a surface gravity of 0.008g, that will enable you to actually orbit the thing.

---------------

Update time! Several smaller changes:

-Hale is now at 3.2 times original size - still larger than Gilly but small enough to actually have an SOI that extends *above*

its surface! Overwhelming feature, I know. Also it is ridiculously dense now.

-Terrain of Slate and Hale changed to be more interesting and less flat! (Read: I played around with some values and have no idea what they are doing, install at your own risk :3)

-Sarnus has an Optional Cloud config for use with AVP: Interstellar, with auroras and all. Thanks to tygoo for giving me some hints with that!

Download

I also made a Regolith config to add Hydrogen and ArgonGas to space *just* above the atmospheres of all the gas giants, without some editing it will only work with RealFuels though. Also it may be unenjoyable gameplay wise, since it is slooow (one Karbonite particle collector can produce about 20L of LqdHydrogen per orbit around Jool, it needs a converter to liquefy it though. A stockalike RF NTR burns through 880L per second :P) Also the gravity wells around the gas giants are so deep that it might not pay off at all to even attempt harvesting resources from them in the first place, I have not done the math yet. Basically, if you plan on harvesting Karbonite, this will be much more inefficient. If that sold you (lol) I will gladly share the configs :)

Edited by Tellion

I tried your MM, but it didn't work.

When I tested it, I only had OPM and HyperEdit installed for testing the config.

I landed on Slate, Ovok and Hale and they hadn't any biomes, then I tested Minmus, Gilly and Tylo and their biomes where fine.

I had that problem with both Hale and Ovok, I tried approaching from numbers directions, but it always just impacted before getting to the SOI.

Was just thinking I had too many mods and it messed something up.

When I tested it, I only had OPM and HyperEdit installed for testing the config.

I landed on Slate, Ovok and Hale and they hadn't any biomes, then I tested Minmus, Gilly and Tylo and their biomes where fine.

The biome maps aren't changing if the debug map view is anything to go by. Where did you place the config?

I had that problem with both Hale and Ovok, I tried approaching from numbers directions, but it always just impacted before getting to the SOI.

Was just thinking I had too many mods and it messed something up.

Yea, I was actually wondering if Ovok would have the same problem, it seems like it does not though. Probably because its density was increased about threefold. With the last config I could land on Hale, Ovok and Slate without issue, so I hope that we have that sorted out now.

Oh, and the MM config for biome removal does not seem to work for me either, not many other mods on the test install to interfere as well... Weird ._.

Edit: Olympic, did you take a look at the biome map in the debug menu?

Edited by Tellion

i made the mistake of thinking slate would be as weak as hale or ovak boy was i wrong try landing on that thing with a 30 ton 80 thrust probe not gonna happen >.< how ever i love slate and im defo gonna work out a way to bring my rover onto slates the best solid body in the game

It way to go CaptRobau slates the best solid body in the game. much deviation in the look of it across the whole body somthing all bodys besides kurbin lack terribly still think ovak should either be smaller or have more gravity its round shape is deceptive of its size tho so it might just be me good body to take screenshots from to

i did have alot of trouble installing the mod it turned out that my antivirus (norton 360) picked up 3 .dll files i restored them from quarantine and the mod worked fine along with NEAR furture tech mod to.

if u useing kspi use this update to it to get rid of the errors thrown by the radaion system of kspi KSPI 0.90 Extended Configuration

op might want to add that as a note that kspi dont work with these and to recommend that if they want to use kspi and outter planets on the main page

also if using kerbal enginner do not have a window display biome when u go around one of the gas giants or it keep throwing errors till u disable biomes.

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Hey all,

I have been working on the cloud/atmosphere configs for this mod (Astronomer's Interstellar version) all week. I'm just about ready to upload the files and, if all is well, I will do so tomorrow when I am home. I have also added an atmospheric haze for Jool, as this is something I believe was missing.

Here's a couple of examples for Sarnus:

5rEkK0Al.jpg

4Pyf8WJl.jpg

Jool's haze, which brings it in line with the gas giants for Outer Planets Mod:

LWRhUfUl.jpg

Hey all,

I have been working on the cloud/atmosphere configs for this mod (Astronomer's Interstellar version) all week. I'm just about ready to upload the files and, if all is well, I will do so tomorrow when I am home. I have also added an atmospheric haze for Jool, as this is something I believe was missing.

Here's a couple of examples for Sarnus:

http://i.imgur.com/5rEkK0Al.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Pyf8WJl.jpg

Jool's haze, which brings it in line with the gas giants for Outer Planets Mod:

http://i.imgur.com/LWRhUfUl.jpg

Very nice Akinesis! I love the look of the inside of Sarnus and the atmospheric haze on Jool looks really nice! :)

Tygoo and Arkinesis, thank you for taking the trouble to make Astronomer's compatible with these wonderful planets; I would like to suggest making Sarnus' aurora predominantly blue:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/011/cache/saturn-aurorasingle_1182_990x742.jpg

Jupiter looks similar if you check, but Astronomer has already done Jool.

My config includes blue auroras.

Tygoo and Arkinesis, thank you for taking the trouble to make Astronomer's compatible with these wonderful planets; I would like to suggest making Sarnus' aurora predominantly blue:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/011/cache/saturn-aurorasingle_1182_990x742.jpg

Jupiter looks similar if you check, but Astronomer has already done Jool.

I'm aware that Saturn's aurora is blue, but the point is Sarnus maybe the analogue of Saturn, but it is not Saturn. Eudae55 made this very clear to me. The Aurora started off as blue but the contrast was a bit odd compared to Sarnus' darker reddy-brown colours.

I'll see if I can throw up some pictures a bit later to show what I mean.

Edit:

Here we go. I'm sure this will be a matter of opinion :)

AkU3WSVl.png

nlh7Yvxl.png

Edited by Akinesis

The biome maps aren't changing if the debug map view is anything to go by. Where did you place the config?
Oh, and the MM config for biome removal does not seem to work for me either, not many other mods on the test install to interfere as well... Weird ._.

Edit: Olympic, did you take a look at the biome map in the debug menu?

oh, now it is broken for me too, let me take a look at it.

Sorry for the not working config ;.;

I think Sarnus would look great with a red or yellow Aurora. I think it would complement the color scheme nicely, plus it would also fill out some more of the color spectrum that isn't really represented in the rest of Astronomer's visual pack. That being said, you can make them whatever color you want, because the planets are all just stunningly gorgeous. A really well-done mod.

Does Slate look that good from the ground too? In map view it appears perfectly spherical, unlike the other moons where you can see hills etc even from map view.

I'm already sending mapping missions for an eventual probe landing.

EDIT - nm i seen the ground level screenshot.

Does scansat work with these?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.