[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Does this modifies existing planets? Can i use it with my save? I have a probe and rover on duna, if i add this mod, will they still be there? Also does this interferes with mechjeb? For some reson last time i tried some planet mod, mechjeb stopped functioning properly

It only changes Eeloo's orbit, otherwise it just adds new planets and moons

It moves Eeloo to an orbit around Sarnus. Probes in a low orbit or on the ground will not be affected. It doesn't touch any other stock planets/moons so your Duna rover/probe are safe. MechJeb functions well as far as I know. Not all planet mods use the same plugins, so it might be that your experience was with a mod that used something other than what this uses.

Does this modifies existing planets? Can i use it with my save? I have a probe and rover on duna, if i add this mod, will they still be there? Also does this interferes with mechjeb? For some reson last time i tried some planet mod, mechjeb stopped functioning properly

No, the stock planets will be just fine, as well as any crafts landed/orbiting there.

As for MechJeb, I'll let CaptRobau answer that, since I'm not familiar with that mod.

EDIT: Ninja'd...twice!

It moves Eeloo to an orbit around Sarnus. Probes in a low orbit or on the ground will not be affected. It doesn't touch any other stock planets/moons so your Duna rover/probe are safe. MechJeb functions well as far as I know. Not all planet mods use the same plugins, so it might be that your experience was with a mod that used something other than what this uses.
No, the stock planets will be just fine, as well as any crafts landed/orbiting there.

As for MechJeb, I'll let CaptRobau answer that, since I'm not familiar with that mod.

EDIT: Ninja'd...twice!

It only changes Eeloo's orbit, otherwise it just adds new planets and moons

Thank you all! :)

A short update about the future of this mod. Eudea55 and I are going to be a bit busier the next week or two, so the next update won't follow that quickly. Here's what the next updates will be about.

-Rebalanced science multipliers, to reduce the increase in science caused by the added planets and moons

-A custom and optional set of Flyby contracts that will unlock after you land a Kerbal on the Mun or Minmus. By offering flybys of the gas giants earlier, other contracts regarding those planets will unlock a bit earlier, which will give people more freedom when it comes to exploring the Kerbol system

-A secret feature that we couldn't finish in time for this update

-Adding moons to Urlum

*This is not final and can change at any moment

Edited by CaptRobau

Here's a 6.4k-sized kerbin config file for version 1.4 including the moons of Sarnus. The RealSolarSystem.cfg file included here is based on the 24-hour day one put together by Paul Kingtiger.

I also included an excel file showing the orbital data for all the planets.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1731C32CC90F1274!142&authkey=!AFKY94K0c3gllMs&ithint=folder%2cxlsx

Most masses were scaled up at (6.4)^3. I changed Slate's mass to result in 0.9g with the radius multiplied by 6.4x.

I left Hale's radius alone but changed its mass so that the very low surface gravity makes more sense. Formula for geeASL is ( (G * Mass) / (r^2) ) / 9.81.

Hale is tidally locked to Sarnus, as is Ovok and Slate. Eeloo has a rotational resonance of one rotation for every two orbits around Sarnus.

I didn't do anything with the Rings yet, need to figure out how to move them to where they ought to be.

It's just a config file but if we need a license to post stuff, same one as this great planet pack!

88x31.png

Here's a 6.4k-sized kerbin config file for version 1.4 including the moons of Sarnus.

Lol, faster than me :D My RSS is still making its .obj files.

Mine is for 12h though, so we complement each other I guess. The rings are configured in the KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad/Sarnus and Urlum.cfg files, just multiply the inner and outer radii by 6.4.

Btw, CaptRobau, how are the resources coming along? Now that we have biomes, doing some more specific regolith configs becomes possible. Should you need more volunteers, I would be happy to lend a hand!

Edited by Tellion

WOW! Thank you both (and other people in the community!) for the time you have spent on this mod - the rate this mod is progressing is outstanding! On a side note - since my birthday is tomorrow, I will consider the 1.4 release an early present :)

Also, moons for Urlum in 1.5!? Fantastic! Call me weird but Urlum is my favourite of the three gas/ice giants added in this mod and I can not wait to see what moons will be accompanying it!

*cough* hopefully some moons with atmospheres *cough*.

What are the chances of us eventually seeing analogues for Ceres, Makemake, Haumea and Eris? Would love some eccentric orbit dwarf planets to go to.

Dres already represent Ceres. About the others, there are no plans. First we're going to focus on making the enew gas giants complete and then we're going to redo Plock to make it a worthy analog of dwarf planet Pluto

Mine is for 12h though, so we complement each other I guess. The rings are configured in the KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad/Sarnus and Urlum.cfg files, just multiply the inner and outer radii by 6.4.

Btw, CaptRobau, how are the resources coming along? Now that we have biomes, doing some more specific regolith configs becomes possible. Should you need more volunteers, I would be happy to lend a hand!

No progress on the resources yet. How do I make the biomes influence what you can mine in a location?

WOW! Thank you both (and other people in the community!) for the time you have spent on this mod - the rate this mod is progressing is outstanding! On a side note - since my birthday is tomorrow, I will consider the 1.4 release an early present :)

Also, moons for Urlum in 1.5!? Fantastic! Call me weird but Urlum is my favourite of the three gas/ice giants added in this mod and I can not wait to see what moons will be accompanying it!

*cough* hopefully some moons with atmospheres *cough*.

Thanks. Happy birthday in advance. I'm glad that I didn't show up empty handed :D

Urlum has the wrong description on the front page.

Thanks, fixed it.

Thanks :-) I'll take a look at the rings. I didn't include any .obj files, just the cfg's, RSS will cache the obj files automatically on first load.

All right, RSS has finished its work and everything seems to be behaving so far, so I am going to put this out here: 64k config for OPM. This is for the 12 hour day version, for the 24 hour one see post #382 in this thread. Also this config differs in some aspects from the vanilla one, meaning it has some changes made to the inner planets that have been proposed in the 64k thread.

Changelog and issues in the RealSolarSystem.cfg file and post #339 in this thread. Apart from adjusting orbital parameters from 1.3 to 1.4, Sarnus now has the density of Saturn instead of Jupiter, scaling escape velocity down to friendly ~21km/s from 30km/s, which also fits much better with this mod overall.

----------------

@CaptRobau

The regolith api documentation can be found here :)

I am not 100% sure whether Regolith and Kopernicus are going to play nicely together, we will have to test that.

@jlcarneiro

Most likely some conflicting files, delete every folder that gets added by this mod and reinstall. That should be your usual procedure for mods, overwriting earlier versions with later ones can lead to bad outcomes.

Edited by Tellion

All right, RSS has finished its work and everything seems to be behaving so far, so I am going to put this out here: 64k config for OPM. This is for the 12 hour day version, for the 24 hour one see post #382 in this thread. Also this config differs in some aspects from the vanilla one, meaning it has some changes made to the inner planets that have been proposed in the 64k thread.

Changelog and issues in the RealSolarSystem.cfg file and post #339 in this thread. Apart from adjusting orbital parameters from 1.3 to 1.4, Sarnus now has the density of Saturn instead of Jupiter, scaling escape velocity down to friendly ~21km/s from 30km/s, which also fits much better with this mod overall.

Did the rings show up for you? I changed the settings in the SaveLoad folder, but still no rings :-(.

Good idea about Sarnus' density. I'll change that in my 24 hour day config as well.

Strange. Maybe KittopiaTech is conflicting on Linux, as that's the only non cfg change in the update. Remove the KittopiaSpace folder and try again. You won't have rings, but it would confirm that it's Kittopia related.

- - - Updated - - -

@CaptRobau

The regolith api documentation can be found here :)

I am not 100% sure whether Regolith and Kopernicus are going to play nicely together, we will have to test that.

Thanks, that explains everything I need to know. I'll take a look at what Regolith does automatically and where I need to add more custom stuff to make the moons/planets more realistic/unique.

No idea...

Woopsie, i screwed something up there.

@jlcarneiro Erm, I think i might have reproduced the same issue as you with one of my installs. Describe what the RSS loading screen does, specifically if it goes through all the planets, or if it skips all the new ones. It might be a linux issue after all.

Its weird, one of my installs is working splendidly with 1.4, and one isn't at all. I made a backup of the now dysfunctional install when it had 1.3, and as soon as I install 1.4 it stops working. The RSS loader, while listing 19 bodies to be modified, just stops without notice at eeloo, skipping all the newly added bodies.

Edit: Okay, removing KittopiaSpace did not resolve the issue. Weird.

Edit2: Not reproducible on a clean install... I hate bughunting ._.

Edit3: I think I have a lead... Okay, so

UnityException: Texture 'Kopernicus/Textures/Hale_biome' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings. at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels32 (int)

at UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixels32 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapSO.CreateRGB (UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapSO.CreateMap (MapDepth depth, UnityEngine.Texture2D tex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Properties.set_biomeMap (Kopernicus.Configuration.Texture2DParser value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MonoProperty.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object value, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] index, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.PropertyInfo.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object value, System.Object[] index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.CreateObjectFromConfigNode[body] (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Generate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kopernicus.Injector.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)

AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

(Filename: Line: 4294967295)

seems to accompany the issue, though I have not quite nailed down the cause of it. One is converting the biome .png maps to dds, that constantly triggers the error, however that does not seem to be the only trigger.

Edited by Tellion

@CaptRobau Do you think (this is just a question and I'd like to hear your opinion on it) it would be possible to have the next update seperated a wee bit more like you did with 1.4 to where, the KerbalStuff/CurseForge files come with the guts of OPM, and then the low res, medium res, and high res textures come seperate as well?

I'm just asking if this would be possible, because along side playing on a potato, I'm also using a potato for a modem (56 kb/s) and it taskes about 6 minutes to download the mod (it is still downloading at the time of this posting). I downloaded the lowres textures in about 3 seconds because it was only 102 kb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.