[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

About suggestions for the geographical features:

The Volcano-esque mountain on pic 1: Mount Nehelennia

The Y-shaped mountain range on pic 2: Yahel Mountains

The mountain range on pic 3: Sombor Mountains

Now, about a possible future thin amosphere on Slate; I think a color somewhere between orange and brown would be fantastic. It would give the giant appearance of Sarnus on Slate somewhat extra awesomeness (in my opinion) ... !

How about naming something 'Pillinger' in honour of the scientist behind the Beagle 2 mission who died last year. Considering we've learned today it actually made it to the surface in one piece and possibly even collected some data?

Mount Pillinger sounds good to me.

I've never even heard about Beagle 2 being found!

They found it yesterday after 12 years of losing connection because the solar panels wouldn't deploy. Yesterday they saw a refection on the surface where the Beagle 2 originally landed, when they took a closer look they saw it was the Beagle 2 fully intact. More info on ESA.

Now back on topic guys.

I actually like these.

Congratulations, you are the winner!

1.4 is coming very close. The biomes are in and the volunteer contributors did an amazing job and quickly created over 300 funny and interesting science blurbs. Eudea55 and me are honored that this community is so committed to the mod. Makes us feel warm and fuzzy on the inside :D At the moment we're getting everything in-game and after that we'll test to see if everything works correctly.

1.4 is coming very close. The biomes are in and the volunteer contributors did an amazing job and quickly created over 300 funny and interesting science blurbs. Eudea55 and me are honored that this community is so committed to the mod. Makes us feel warm and fuzzy on the inside :D At the moment we're getting everything in-game and after that we'll test to see if everything works correctly.

You guys work fast!!!! Awesome stuff!

We where with only max. 3 volunteers that created those reports. Thx to the other two volunteers.

Edited by Olympic1

Oberon, Ophelia, Portia, Ariel, and Umbriel would make interesting moons for Urlum. Portia and Ophelia's orbits are decaying. Also, there are 3 moons orbiting around Uranus that might collide with each other, which are Cressida, Juliet, and Desdemona. Last thing, PLEASE incline the orbits of Eeloo or Slate, or both.

I have a suggestion. Minimum energy transfers to outer planets takes so much time that if you play simultaneous missions in inner solar system you get all the tech and millions on extra money before your craft encounters for example Urlum. But if there was flyby contracts to outer planets it would be fun to send very small and fast flyby probe during midgame and get points and money when you need them. You could also use interesting slingshot trajectories.

This is where Kerbal Construction Time comes in handy :-)

EDIT: for 1.4, see this post.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104280-0-90-Outer-Planets-Mod-%281-4%29-Unique-biomes-and-300-science-blurbs-17-Jan-15?p=1675293&viewfull=1#post1675293

I created a 6.4k-sized kerbin config file for version 1.3 including the moons of Sarnus.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1731C32CC90F1274!137&authkey=!ADWsRJeQ10b_cOY&ithint=folder%2c

Most masses were scaled up at (6.4)^3. I changed Slate's mass to result in 0.9g with the radius multiplied by 6.4x.

You will need to go into the RealSolarSystem.cfg file and remove Eeloo's Semi-Major Axis (around line 610, I believe).

I didn't do anything with the Rings... was having trouble seeing them at all.

It's just a config file but if we need a license to post stuff, same one as this great planet pack!

88x31.png

Edited by westamastaflash

Well my manned voyage to Sarnus just finished last night! I wanted to land on Slate last but it scared me... when I got in orbit, my orbital velocity was over 2,500 m/s. If I'm not mistaken, this world is similar to Tylo. I'm gonna have to pack a very powerful lander to touch down on this world. Just to get back into orbit I would need a tremendous amount of velocity. I did orbital experiments instead and then ditched! I got lucky there, because I only had one day of life support when I rendezvoused for my main ship in orbit around Sarnus! If I made a scheduled landing, then one of my kerbals would have had to get a burial in Sarnus's orbit!

My lander now is a modified version I made for Tylo, I'm gonna do an unmanned landing first and see how things go. Nice moon though, good work on the detailed landscape.

2015_01_16_00004.jpg

1.4 is out now!

Here's what you can expect in the new update:

Biomes for the moons added in 1.3

Especially Slate has a bunch of 'em

300+ blurbs to flesh out these biomes

Our volunteer team has created a whole lot of really funny/interesting blurbs, which will make science in the Sarnus a whole lot interesting. The gas giants also got some blurbs for some situations that the mod hadn't covered yet

Eeloo and Slate are slightly inclined

What's these use of being a ringed gas giant's moon if you can't see it's rings. The difficulty of reaching these moons is practically the same, but now you've got a better view

Balancing of the new planets and moons

Some of the orbital characteristics and body properties were changed to make everything more realistic and more consistent with other planets/moons

Medium-res textures now the new standard, low-res and high-res textures available as optional downloads

Since not everyone has a great computer, starting with 1.4 we've made medium-res textures the standard. These are comparable to the resolutions used for the stock planets and moons. Small moons or planets with little detail (such as gas giants) have 2K textures. Planets or moons that benefit from higher res have 4K textures. For those with even worse PCs we have a low-res texture pack and for those with a beefy computer we have a high-res pack. To install these just extract them over your main OPM installation and overwrite the old textures.

Low-Res Texture Pack (1K/2K)

High-Res Texture Pack (4K/8K)

Other stuff

Removed the RSS time warp tweak as it was causing issues (just get something like Time Control to get better timewarp), made Slate's terrain smoother in places and other small things not worth mentioning.

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by CaptRobau

Does this modifies existing planets? Can i use it with my save? I have a probe and rover on duna, if i add this mod, will they still be there? Also does this interferes with mechjeb? For some reson last time i tried some planet mod, mechjeb stopped functioning properly

1.4 is out now!

Here's what you can expect in the new update:

Biomes for the moons added in 1.3

Especially Slate has a bunch of 'em

300+ blurbs to flesh out these biomes

Our volunteer team has created a whole lot of really funny/interesting blurbs, which will make science in the Sarnus a whole lot interesting. The gas giants also got some blurbs for some situations that the mod hadn't covered yet

Eeloo and Slate are slightly inclined

What's these use of being a ringed gas giant's moon if you can't see it's rings. The difficulty of reaching these moons is practically the same, but now you've got a better view

Balancing of the new planets and moons

Some of the orbital characteristics and body properties were changed to make everything more realistic and more consistent with other planets/moons

Medium-res textures now the new standard, low-res and high-res textures available as optional downloads

Since not everyone has a great computer, starting with 1.4 we've made medium-res textures the standard. These are comparable to the resolutions used for the stock planets and moons. Small moons or planets with little detail (such as gas giants) have 2K textures. Planets or moons that benefit from higher res have 4K textures. For those with even worse PCs we have a low-res texture pack and for those with a beefy computer we have a high-res pack. To install these just extract them over your main OPM installation and overwrite the old textures.

Low-Res Texture Pack (1K/2K)

High-Res Texture Pack (4K/8K)

Other stuff

Removed the RSS time warp tweak as it was causing issues (just get something like Time Control to get better timewarp), made Slate's terrain smoother in places and other small things not worth mentioning.

http://i.imgur.com/FRO6RIX.png http://i.imgur.com/WhwiS8Y.png

http://imgur.com/a/dEOog

Awesome! I can't wait to test it out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.