[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

bit of bad news if u have orsx installed u cant even get near the planets or u get null refernce also the acheivments mod throws errors also.

[EXC 19:59:42.021] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[Body] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback)
System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[Body] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate)
Achievements.Body.get (.CelestialBody
Achievements.VesselExtensions.getCurrentBody (.Vessel vessel)
Achievements.BodyOrbit.check (.Vessel vessel)
Achievements.Achievements.checkAchievements ()
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
Achievements.Achievements:checkAchievements()
Achievements.Achievements:Update()

[EXC 19:59:32.879] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[CelestialBody].get_Item (Int32 index)
OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.loadPlanetaryResourceData (Int32 body)
OpenResourceSystem.ORSPlanetaryResourceMapData.getResourceAvailability (Int32 body, System.String resourcename, Double lat, Double lng)
FNPlugin.VesselExtensions.GetRadiationDose (.Vessel vessel)
FNPlugin.FNModuleRadiation.OnUpdate ()
Part.ModulesOnUpdate ()
Part.Update ()

if u have ors installed u get that error with or without scanner.

This mod is getting better and better! Thanks!

I have a doubt, though: after the last update (1.3), I think KSP is taking longer to load and shows a Real Solar System's window processing something after loaded. How can I avoid it? Is RSS absolutely required?

This mod is getting better and better! Thanks!

I have a doubt, though: after the last update (1.3), I think KSP is taking longer to load and shows a Real Solar System's window processing something after loaded. How can I avoid it? Is RSS absolutely required?

the rss is for the pqs and such u need it. dont worry that dont hurt anything. is just using the rss pluging to change some stuff not resize the planets

the rss is for the pqs and such u need it. dont worry that dont hurt anything. is just using the rss pluging to change some stuff not resize the planets

Sorry! You lost me: what is pqs? And after all, may I delete RSS? Or better, do I have to? What is that processing and how can I avoid it to be repeated on every startup?

mem usage with the new planets is around 250-300mb mem usage. most of thats due to slates textures being bigger than all others combined. what reso are the slate textures?

At the moment Slate's are 8k; Hale and Ovok are 4k. I'll do some testing with the 4k version I have available and if it works well I'll substitute the 8k version with it to ease the memory load. This will be especially important as there are more moons coming soon.

edit: the 8k version would be an optional download if that were to occur.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry! You lost me: what is pqs? And after all, may I delete RSS? Or better, do I have to? What is that processing and how can I avoid it to be repeated on every startup?

PQS in this mod generates custom terrain. Without it, you'd be left with duplicates of other stock bodies. So I'd consider it essential.

PQS in this mod generates custom terrain. Without it, you'd be left with duplicates of other stock bodies. So I'd consider it essential.

Ok, I agree! :)

But, how do I stop that RSS processing window that shows up when KSP starts? Or at least make it appear only once after each upgrade. I believe it has slowed down game loading...

looks like the ribbons are in wrong folder they not in nerids/finalfront teir they in opm for some reason. dont forget probaly to add that this not compatiable witih ors or acheivment mods currently in op till its fixed. if u get close to any of the planets with those installed u get nul ref log spam like i poosted ealier. its just due to neither of those 2 mods have any info for the new moons so bug out.

hmm 4k is nice but they eat alot of ram. i use a combined cloud pack of the rensance pack and astros and just lowering the reso from 8k to 2k of his clouds saved a crap load of ram

jlcarnerio u cant its how the mod works. it makes it changed once verything else is loaded thats why its on the start screen

did some more testing while i was fixing some other mods and found that slates 8k textures are taking up 400mb ram alone. took out slate textures was at 2,500mb ram. with installed slate was 2,950mb ram roughly.

ima manualy drop the reso for them myself see if i can get them in a managable area for my use lol

Regarding Karbonite integration... I believe that the resources are now randomly generated for each new game, but are "biome-dependent". So, as an example, certain biomes will be heavy on karbonite, or light on ore, or not have minerals. I'm not sure how Roverdude makes the "randomly generated aspect" of it work for each new game (I'm not a coder), but that's something to keep in mind during integration. I also like the idea of Sarnus having Karbonium in its upper atmosphere.

Been watching the development of this one for a while now... super-stoked to start getting into it :)

Just tried to install this mod via CKAN and it only installed the OPM folder and completely missed everything else.
thats why best o be able to manualy install everything yourself

I believe support for CKAN is the next main priority on CaptRobau's side of things.

-----Important Post-----

For those on tight RAM budgets, I have prepared three different versions of the textures based on how much detail you want vs. how many other mods you have/quality of computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4K Textures Only Version -

• All textures are 4096 x 2048
  • Total Size: 80MB
  • Slate was the only 8K textured body so it has been downsized to 4K in this pack.

Download Here (Version with fixed normals)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2K Textures -

• All textures have been downsized to 2048 x 1024
  • Total Size: 20MB
  • Use this one if you don't want textures as large as the 4K size. Should reduce chance of "Out of Memory" crashes if you are having problems with those.

Download Here (Version with fixed Normals)

1K Textures -

• All textures have been downsized to 1024 x 512
  • Total Size: 5MB
  • Use this one if your computer already doesn't run KSP well or if you are extremely limited in regards to RAM

Download Here (Version with Fixed Normals)

Installation:

1. Install OPM 1.3 first. Available from the first post in this thread.
  2. Overwrite the KSP GameData folder with the one found in any of these three packs.
  3. Done

We will have multiple versions of textures in future versions of this mod as I understand how crucial maintaining a RAM budget is in the 32bit version of KSP.

In the mean time, I hope you find these textures useful :)

Edit1: It seems the normals stuffed up when I resized them so I generated them again. Hopefully the problem is fixed. (The issue was that there were ugly black blotches in the map view)

Edited by Eudae55

Ok, I agree! :)

But, how do I stop that RSS processing window that shows up when KSP starts? Or at least make it appear only once after each upgrade. I believe it has slowed down game loading...

Yes, it's absolutely required. RSS is used to load the terrain of the new moons and nothing else. Kerbin is still normal size and everything. The processing window will happen every time the game is launched with this mod (can't do anything about htat) and of course it will add some seconds to game loading. But so does every big mod, from B9 to KW Rocketry. The lower res textures above will cut done on loading time if it's a big issue, although it won't look as good of course.

Just landed on Slate, did not go well, under built my lander, lithobraked, so Jeb and Bob are stranded. I like it though.

http://i.imgur.com/tA3usNg.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/U3yUD0r.png

Congrats, you're one of the first. I haven't even landed safely on Slate under my own power yet.

looks like the ribbons are in wrong folder they not in nerids/finalfront teir they in opm for some reason. dont forget probaly to add that this not compatiable witih ors or acheivment mods currently in op till its fixed. if u get close to any of the planets with those installed u get nul ref log spam like i poosted ealier. its just due to neither of those 2 mods have any info for the new moons so bug out.

They're in the right folder. The config targets them in the OPM folder and they work fine. The Nereid folder is just so I could overwrite the original Eeloo graphics. I could've put the other graphics there too, but the config was already written to target OPM so it would've made no difference.

Also which mods do you mean exactly with ORS and the Achievement Mod. I have found various threads with these names and I'm wondering which you're experiencing incompatibility with.

Edited by CaptRobau

Yes, it's absolutely required. RSS is used to load the terrain of the new moons and nothing else. Kerbin is still normal size and everything. The processing window will happen every time the game is launched with this mod (can't do anything about htat) and of course it will add some seconds to game loading. But so does every big mod, from B9 to KW Rocketry. The lower res textures above will cut done on loading time if it's a big issue, although it won't look as good of course.

Congrats, you're one of the first. I haven't even landed safely on Slate under my own power yet.

They're in the right folder. The config targets them in the OPM folder and they work fine. The Nereid folder is just so I could overwrite the original Eeloo graphics. I could've put the other graphics there too, but the config was already written to target OPM so it would've made no difference.

Also which mods do you mean exactly with ORS and the Achievement Mod. I have found various threads with these names and I'm wondering which you're experiencing incompatibility with.

the acheviements mod just adds some ingame achvivments when u do somethng like orbit for first time and such. its similar to the final frontteir but its per game not per kerbal. its throwing a error when u around the moons cause it cant figure out where u are but it knows u around a planet so it starts throwing null errors.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101801-Achievements-1-7-0-Earn-145-achievements-while-playing-%28KSP-25%29-%2812-2-14%29. is the link to the mod and he already has on there how to add your mods to it.

ors is throwing a error for the same reason as above but it also cant find any resouce data for the planet. ors is easy fix it would just need resource .cfg modified and a png map of resouces added. right now think only mod still using ors is interstellar so i wouldnt worry about it. i can just add some resouces to it and use a resouce png form one of the other planets to fix that.

think regolith dont work for the planets either as its dependent on biomes far as i remember but it dont throw error so its fine for now.

probaly want to add your planets to the community resouce pack as alot of mods use that. well if i add anyof the planets to resouce mods ill send them to u so u can keep working on the moons.

right now using the 4k texture for slade, the normal for others im still ale to fit 2.79gb of mods ingame with your planets for a start screen load of 2.6gb ram so nice job on how optimized the planets feel.

forgot the errors im talking about are posted on page 26

Edited by sidfu

Regarding the different texture choices: What kind of texture quality does stock KSP ship for its planets? I know that I once played a save with 4K replacement textures, and they made the planets look a lot sharper, so they're 2K or 1K. But which is it?

Regarding the different texture choices: What kind of texture quality does stock KSP ship for its planets? I know that I once played a save with 4K replacement textures, and they made the planets look a lot sharper, so they're 2K or 1K. But which is it?

I have a feeling they are 2K. Mods for texture replacer generally start at 4K.

far as i remember stock planets are 2k but ksp still has the issue that it wont change the reso on some textures even when u lower the reso to say half. they never got around to fixing that so have to learn to manualy drop the reso yourself on textures. besides its hard to tell the differnce from 4k and 2k but u can tell the differnce on 8k. but 8k eats around 10 times the ram that a 4k texture will. one time i put in a 8k skybox to see how it looked it looked awsome but at 600mb usage for it alone it was way to heavy

It should be noted that ORS is largely depreciated at this point in time. I believe it's only really used by intersteller mod which is itself nearly dead. The old author hasn't touched it, and the person who ported it to .90 is also dropping support for it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it die off completely in the future. If anyone picks it back up I'd hope they port it over to the regolith api.

Personally I'd worry about resources once you get biomes completed since regolith can use those to generate resources in more detail. Out of the box, Regolith will generate resources on all bodies by default, but you can narrow it down by specifying in more detail using the configs. If you're curious about how it works take a look at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1apMiDJDYtfGi_wznWejP5MmBjK7RxPZnRwFPCsATrIY/edit

Edited by Borisbee

besides its hard to tell the differnce from 4k and 2k but u can tell the differnce on 8k. but 8k eats around 10 times the ram that a 4k texture will. one time i put in a 8k skybox to see how it looked it looked awsome but at 600mb usage for it alone it was way to heavy

Found it pretty noticable actually. But then again I've never tried 8k.

Right now I'm running a heavily modded install to try out a bunch of part packs, and I'm forced to run with ATM in aggressive mode. So many textures just make my eyes bleed... :(

My next install shall be pimped with bling once again. And will very likely include this planet pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.