[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

As a big fan of things rotating very fast, I like Corson.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I don't like the lore around Slate and Eeloo, I've rewritten their descriptions.

Slate

Evidence suggests that Slate once had an atmosphere only a few million years ago, when an unknown cataclysm stripped it's atmosphere away, leaving only a dry husk behind. It's yellow and brown colors have inspired many painters since it's discovery, including the renowned Vincent Van Kerman.

Eeloo

Discovered shortly after Plock, the squareheads in charge of the records and history department confused the two celestial bodies in the history books for several years. The surface of Eeloo is covered in brown scratches, full of cryovolcanic wibbly stuff. It probably has an ocean somewhere beneath it.

I support these pieces of lore.

Hey Captain! Just some questions:

How do I make a black planet with no surface that you fall through it.?

Is it possible to currently edit ocean colors.? I have tried to mess around to make lava oceans possible but no good results...

How can I make part of a body pure flat and some bumpy spiky mountains without cause g small bumps in flat regions? Yes, I already messed around with height map.

How to add custom ground scatter on planets? What model format does it use? I can work them in Blender.

Is this compatible with saves already on your game? I didn't get anything new in my save. Starting a new one see if that's the issue.

It should, although with something complex like this something could've gone wrong. Try it on a fresh save. If it doesn't work there, there's an issue with the mod installation.

Hey Captain! Just some questions:

How do I make a black planet with no surface that you fall through it.?

Is it possible to currently edit ocean colors.? I have tried to mess around to make lava oceans possible but no good results...

How can I make part of a body pure flat and some bumpy spiky mountains without cause g small bumps in flat regions? Yes, I already messed around with height map.

How to add custom ground scatter on planets? What model format does it use? I can work them in Blender.

1. No idea

2. The KittopiaTech thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68619-0-90-Plugin-WIP-Discontinued-indefinitely-KittopiaTech-Ingame-Terraforming-Tools-V0-192) has an optional sample file that you can download. It manages to add different water textures to Minmus. Never been able to replicate it, but it's possible in theory if that example is anything to go by.

3. No idea if that's possible. You've seen the new Ovok. That's as flat as we were able to make it.

4. No idea. I know it's mentioned in the KittopiaTech OP, but that's all I know about it.

Hello,

So first who was the wide Kerbalnaut who used the pitching wedge on a space planet-sized golfball?!

Also, I am using Outerplanets MOD as a BASELINE for all planets/moons; I know I think the Capt Mentioned it is compatible with Koperinicus Tech; I aint goin there cause for me; well it isnt...IE I use strictly the OPM download and have bilt my Kerbol System around that porting in other planets and moons from other packs; the ones that are compatible; mostly just OP+ 1.7 and Trans-Keptunian for now; I weeded out planets/moons I didnt want and moved things around; however there are major problems.

Some planets you cant land on cause they dissappear; some of them are not loading up PQS data and I can see that some of these 'mapSO' etc files dont seem to be hanging around anywhere...

Any little mistakes can badly crash OPM; oh what fun this is !

My system is looking great but this one problem...I use Hyper-edit (and dont get onto me about it as it is a very GOOD program)...when I set my planet/moon parameters then use Hyperedit to finalize things, I lose periapsis for the most part and the planet/moon settles in to a stable orbit; what this means to ne is just that: a stable orbit.

SOI seems to play a part so there are a few variables to watch out for in doing this, AND I may be looking at finalizing the Hyperedit data all by hand back into the main cfg's; I dont like starting from unstable orbits; it is making my system a tad smaller, but probly more stable in the long run.

I just thought I would fill you in on my work here...

Also it looke like since the Trans-Keptunian planets are compatible I will be lookin for a few more...I am just worried about the reading PQS data thing; could be that I am in sandbox testing...I will check on that a I dont think anamolies are loaded in sandbox??

Cmdr Zeta

1. No idea

2. The KittopiaTech thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68619-0-90-Plugin-WIP-Discontinued-indefinitely-KittopiaTech-Ingame-Terraforming-Tools-V0-192) has an optional sample file that you can download. It manages to add different water textures to Minmus. Never been able to replicate it, but it's possible in theory if that example is anything to go by.

3. No idea if that's possible. You've seen the new Ovok. That's as flat as we were able to make it.

4. No idea. I know it's mentioned in the KittopiaTech OP, but that's all I know about it.

I tried adding custom textures to oceans but they don't seem to work. For now, I suppose we could use Eve Ocean as template for lava planets... Y' know... Just pretending...

Also, I found that I can exploit a bug cause D by improperly naming the path for the height map in Kittopia that makes the planet's surface disappear and you sink thought the invisible planet! Perfect for what I'm planning to do. (a black hole)

I got gas clouds for the gas ring of the Black Hole working, puffing around with proper speeds and also some asteroids. Also, for my Kerbol Plus pack, I got the normal to behave and give the planets some relief. I'm now working on a flat oblate moon like your's.

I adopted Eudae's texturing strategy of first making the height maps and then colorize them, in my case GIMP.

Cheers everyone.

Hello,

Please explain how I can insure this is included in the Kittopia saveload files; this is a major error in a planet pack I have and causing the VAB to crash (I think)...when I remove the pack the VAB goes back to normal (I need to recheck these errors tho...

There may be a 'planet pack' issue with using data from other planets/moons; and/or a problem with loading hieghtmaps; and or this updatescaling thing (which I dont do with OPM/OP+); I need to take steps backwards again; Hyperedit is giving me problems landing on moons; it cant see them and lands in open space...

I will be editing my work in here because this is the only place that I can find PQS info about.

EDIT: YES !! I finally figured it out !! Mt moons are there in MAP mode but not in ship mode !! This tells me height data is not being loaded !! IE the planet looks like it is there but it really isnt...now mind you I have been moving all my moons to where I want them...I will go back to default on OPM/OP+ and see if I can sort this out. I can use Hyperedit now and graphically adjust the ship and it will go right thru the moon in MAP mode. I am lookin at Polta...brb...

(EDIT: Okay ya My Fault...I changed the Eq Radius on that one; gads...I will get there !!! I am chekin landing on planets/moons...

(Edit: Please explain the TextureReplacer cfg: keep loaded ^OPM)

(Edit: "Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs ...(moons etc)...also Failed to load: Neidom and Urlum errors (UIcontroller?)(object reference not set to an instance of an object)...)

(Edit: So here is another question...where are these files???>> ###(MapSO) - I gonna delete all these Landclass infos as they point to missing *(MapSO) files...no visible object to land on; Tekto for one I am tryin to check the rest...also it is looking like all these are pointing to *HeightMap(s); vertex, etc...no hieghtmap no landi...does this have to do with this scaledupdate export thing? I hope not because I do not have this problem with all the moon. To refine, also PQSLandControl and vpLandconrol (??); correct version of Kopernicus ??? I may mess wit this now to get it to work...) I also may revert back to OPM1.5 with that Kopernicus version)...

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

I don't understand half of the things you're talking about, but I'll try to help.

1. I don't do a single thing with Default PQS, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do with it.

2. I'm not sure but I feel like you're using HyperEdit to move all your planets around and save their locations. Don't do that. Put all those numbers in the configs loaded by Kopernicus like I do. HyperEdit should only be used to modify orbits to get it the way you want and then you put those numbers like inclination and eccentricity into a Kopernicus config.

3. Don't save all your PQSes with Kittopia. I don't do it, so no wonder your stuff isn't working. Look at what OPM does and try to base your stuff around that. If you do that I'll know what you're talking about and I might be able to help you.

4. Make sure you textures are referenced correctly in the config files. If you want to use a texture in a certain folder make sure the configs point to that folder. You can't just put things everywhere and have them magically work.

5. TextureReplacer cfg is a file that stops TextureReplacer from preventing OPMs planet to work

Hi,

I dont understand the #5; this is included:

TextureReplacer

{

keepLoaded = ^OPM/

}

If it stops OPM from working why is it there?

I solved the problem: Kittopia doesnt work; I think you have way too much going on in my opinion; I got rid of it and now I can land on OPM/OP+ moons; Kittopia re-adds data to it all kinds of PQS data I am supposed to delete that and not use it when it respawns all that PQS data in the cfgs? I dont think so. It is this that is causing me not to be able to land on any moons; this is all right outr of the zip package not even moving them. Maybe they wont look as great but at least I can add atmospheres now and get on with my game; Kittopia needs some serious help by serious programmers; send it to KSP Devs....now let me back up here for a moment............

You are saying this but you dont say one thing....are you saying to GRAB the Kittopia PQS data and save it to the OPM cfgs (not the ones in Kittopia?)...if that is the case then after the initial saves are complete Kittopia NEEDS to be removed from the game; please clarify this for me because I am at my wits end - going almost a week on this mess.

Cmdr Zeta

The file prevents TextureReplacer, when that mod is installed, from wrecking OPM.

Kittopia does work, together with Kopernicus it forms the basis of all current major planet packs. Without it you can't load custom height maps, nor do a lot of other things like rings. There's a reason why we all use it.

You are messing up something up on your end, if you can't land on any of your custom moons nor OPM/OP+ moons. I suggest starting small and learning everything step-by-step, copying my configs and modifying them more and more, because it seems like you're trying to do everything at the same time. There's a learning curve to planet making. I also recommend starting from a clean install and a fresh install of OPM, because after a lot of tampering you might just've messed with too much stuff, which is causing your issues.

I'll explain how KopernicusTech (aka KittopiaTech + Kopernicus) works. Kopernicus is used to create a new planet or moon based on a stock body (Jool, Minmus, Tylo, etc.). The new body inherits everything from the template, so if you do nothing but set up a new body it'll have the same orbit, texture, etc. as the template. Kopernicus is great for orbital characteristics, biomes, science multipliers and the textures for the planet as it looks in the map view. KittopiaTech is useful for custom terrain and can be used for rings, atmosphere, etc. Just like the orbital characteristics and such, the terrain is also copied from the template. Unless you change a value for a certain PQSMod, it doesn't need to be in the KittopiaSpace/SaveLoad config. So that's why I recommend against copying all the PQSMods that Kittopia generates when you save using Kittopia's in-game menu. It just confuses you the dev and in some cases the game if things like MapSO aren't changed. That's why I suggest to just base your planets/moons PQSMods on those of other mods like OPM, Trans-Keptunian, etc.

Hope that clears it up.

Hi,

Actually, it doesnt clear things up; (EDIT: I finally got the part about the TextureReplacer Addition; Thanks on that one because I wanted to add that MOD) I know what Kittopia is doing it is what it does that is causing problems; you say dont use the saveload files but then you dont say what to do with them; please clarify.

Where are files like these located (in Unity?): because they sure aint part of any planet packs:

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

{

heightMap = dwarfplanet1_height (MapSO) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

heightMapDeformity = 23038

heightMapOffset = 0

scaleDeformityByRadius = False

sphere = Polta (PQS)

modEnabled = True

order = 20

Parent = Polta

}

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

The MapSO thing you're pointing too refers to the stock texture of the template. For us modders who want a custom texture, we'll want to directly reference the texture instead

heightMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/UrlumMoons/Textures/Polta_height.dds

You don't need to .dds textures, .png will be loaded too. So if you're adding a new moon and want to give it you could put a texture called MoonZeta.png in the following spot:

GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/ZetaMoons/Textures/

And then reference it like this:

heightMap = GameData/OPM/KopernicusConfigs/ZetaMoons/Textures/MoonZeta.png

EDIT: I saw in the KopernicusTech thread that you were porting over PlanetFactory planets to KopernicusTech. That's not easy. That could've caused some of your problems. Maybe start with something a bit simpler than that. Also to make it even clearer: OPM is not a plugin, KopernicusTech is. OPM is a mod that uses KopernicusTech to add planets/moons. If you're making planets and moons with OPM, you're really making them with KopernicusTech.

Edited by CaptRobau

Sorry to be a drag here, I've noticed that Priax mass in the cfg file (in OPM\KopernicusConfigs\UrlumMoons\Configs) is 1.7092e+15 yet in game it's listed as 4.829e+19. Now since I use the cfg files for my deltaV map, that... lets say "skewed" my values by quite a bit. :D

Being that the rest also don't match and that there's the possibility that I'm looking for values in the wrong places, I have to ask: where will KSP get the values from ultimately? I didn't find any other file with info about bodies that would carry such information.

Did anyone ever find a fix/workaround for the missing Sarnus rings and the round moons caused by launching from a shortcut?

I can't launch directly from the executable as I need to use OpenGL to reduce ram usage

Did anyone ever find a fix/workaround for the missing Sarnus rings and the round moons caused by launching from a shortcut?

I can't launch directly from the executable as I need to use OpenGL to reduce ram usage

I've tried a few different things, with no success. I'm still guessing there is some enviroment variable off somewhere in Kopernicus/Kittopia that's causing it :(

Sorry to be a drag here, I've noticed that Priax mass in the cfg file (in OPM\KopernicusConfigs\UrlumMoons\Configs) is 1.7092e+15 yet in game it's listed as 4.829e+19. Now since I use the cfg files for my deltaV map, that... lets say "skewed" my values by quite a bit. :D

Being that the rest also don't match and that there's the possibility that I'm looking for values in the wrong places, I have to ask: where will KSP get the values from ultimately? I didn't find any other file with info about bodies that would carry such information.

Could be that it's modified by the gravity?

Could be that it's modified by the gravity?

when you design a body there are two variables for something that basically is the same thing

mass and geeASL

where geeASL is the "g force at surface Level"

since you have mass and planet radius I fail to see why there should be a variable that tells you the gravitational accelleration at surface level: you can calculate it through this formula on this site

now, I haven't looked at the new expansion yet but you can easily check if the value for geeasl is not compatible with the mass and radius of the moon

when I tweak planets I usually just decide which mass and radius I want and then calculate the geeASL to match those.

NOTE:

be careful that the calculator I linked gives a result which is off by 10^11

if you put the mass in kg and radius in meters it will give you a result which is correct but multiplied by 10^11, if you want the correct number just move the floating point 11 places to the left

Edited by Sigma88

CaptRobau, Kopernicus will soon have a stand-alone PQS system. Keep that in mind for the next update.

Hello,

Sorry I was kind of a pain....I was going to re-add Kittopia 'JUST To TRY The Rings on Sarnus and leave all the other CFG's out...the above post is giving me hope here...with this and 1.0 coming out at some point I can still get on with my missions then do another KSP restart and maybe things will look even better...

The idea of Kittopia grabbing the PQS data then having a program to just use it (?) and not update it (??)...is this the plan? I am planning a possible large body interaction in my SIM; I have seen some really odd results that look very promising !!! I have 2 comets (without tails needless to say) and I havnt even touched asteroids yet due to getting my memory straight first.

I dont dare to touch Custom Asteroids; NASAMission is enough for me with all the MODS I have.

I also am looking at Space Engine and trying to find a moon to port over...I dont have any PF planets/moons; I guess for PQS data to work at all they need Kittopia installed?

(Edit: Well it looks like Kittopia may do it's job afterall... I readded Sarnus so now I have rings at least...I will try to add the other planets that have rings...no moon files or .bin files thou...I will keep an eye on Kittopia and hope for the best)

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

Does anyone know of a workaround to deal with contracts in career mode? Unfortunately as soon as contracts for the outer planets start appearing the whole system breaks (even if you don't accept them). Contracts vanish every time you switch between ships, and even if you try sticking with one ship all the way through it seems to have problems recognising when the contracts complete. I've had a look over at the Kopernicustech threads, but there don't seem to be any answers over there. Something to stop the game generating contracts for these planets would be tolerable.

I've tried a few different things, with no success. I'm still guessing there is some enviroment variable off somewhere in Kopernicus/Kittopia that's causing it :(

With a fresh mind today I just found a workaround :D

After trying a few different ways to launch the game (with and without -popupwindow and -force-opengl), I tried launching from a command line from my KSP folder and it works! All that was needed was this (the parameters are obviously optional):

start KSP.exe -popupwindow -force-opengl

EDIT: I just remembered you saying on the OPP thread you had this on Linux, but I imagine there's a similar way of doing this

Edited by kendoka15

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.