[0.90] KSP Interstellar port maintance thread

Boris-Barboris

Okay,

So I am trying to Install this version onto my Mac but it is not working. I am trying to get it from Git Hub and I get the KSP Interstellar update_0_90 and Tech Manager - Master, but it doesn't show up in game, I don't have the old Interstellar mod installed now, I thought this replaced it. Do I need to Have both installed.

Also,

Dependencies:

• 0.90 KSPI port from version 1.13.4 and onwards depends on Community Resource Pack by RoverDude.
  • Toolbar by blizzy78
  • ModuleManager by sarbian

Does that Mean I haver to have those to? Because I cannot get those to work either.

Thanks,

Joel

Okay,

So I am trying to Install this version onto my Mac but it is not working. I am trying to get it from Git Hub and I get the KSP Interstellar update_0_90 and Tech Manager - Master, but it doesn't show up in game, I don't have the old Interstellar mod installed now, I thought this replaced it. Do I need to Have both installed.

Also,

Dependencies:

• 0.90 KSPI port from version 1.13.4 and onwards depends on Community Resource Pack by RoverDude.
  • Toolbar by blizzy78

Does that Mean I haver to have those to? Because I cannot get those to work either.

Thanks,

Joel

Okay,

Also,

Dependencies:

• Toolbar by blizzy78

Thanks,

Joel

Those all come pre-packaged with Boris' download on the front page.

Nice update thanks Boris.

Couple of things with efficiency of Interstellar resource refining/gathering. This all might be working as intended.

Atmospheric scooping collects a small amount of resources. On LP i get around "5" intake flow for Argon, using a Karbonite scoop in the same spot pulls in about 40 intake flow(nvm, that value was from .25 Karbonite scoop is showing 2p/s on the LP). Even somewhere like Duna, with a high amount, doesn't really net a substantial amount even when flying with the Warp Plugin scoops. I tried editing the "scoopair" value in the part file, and it seems to increase the amount of power needed along with the added intake. So increasing the scoopair value from .6 to 2.6 on the large radial scoop, increased the MW needed from 24 to around 105MW(it also increased the amount of Argon on the LP substantially). So I assume these ratios need to be tweaked in the dll, I can't find anything else in the cfgs.

Refineries - The process of turning water into LFO seems to take a very long time. The oxidizer is created very quickly, but the liquid fuel conversion takes a long time to produce a substantial amount. I have tested with the 2.5m inline and the next tier extractor, both seem to have the same rate. Maybe it's supposed to be a long term, offloaded type of refinery? If so, it needs an area with a LOT of water or multiple extractors. Seems like resources are handled differently now, with regolith and no OSRX, amounts are showing as % instead of PPM, seems like I am getting a lot less water. I don't see anything in the cfgs for editing the conversion rates.

On another note, as far as I can tell, this version seems to work just fine with MKS/TAC without modifying anything, unless I'm forgetting something I changed. Now that there is no OSRX the configs don't seem to be needed. Though I am wondering how Argon and Argongas are working, I do see some Argon(not argongas) references.

Edited by Jarardo1

Hey all!

So today I thought I'd try to build an LFO refinery out on Minmus as a refuelling stop for my interplanetary flights. However when I deployed my ISRU to see how it all worked out on the launchpad on Kerbin I noticed it gave me no option to mine water. The ISRU can mine for Thorium and Uranium from the getgo even though there is none to be found there so the intake results in 0.000 grams per day. Now I can imagine that I wouldn't be able to mine anything out on the launchpad but for those 2 components the option is atleast there. For all the other ones such as water the window simply says the refinery is offline with no option to turn it on. I was just wondering if the option only appears in area's where there is actually water or if the ISRU is broken for me?

I do have a fair share of other mods installed but all of those run off of CRM so it shouldn't be conflicting. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong because I'm still pretty new to KSPI.

Oh and I forgot in my last post... (Would have edited but I'm new so I still need the mod aproval.. :P)...

I've got a minor bug to report. Some items from KSPI have a tendency to dissapear from the VAB and SPH. Going to the R&D facility and clicking on the tech in question brings them back so it's nothing game breaking but I thought I'd still report it anyway to see if it could possibly be fixed in the future. I do have the latest techtree manager installed and I'm using your version of the techtree for my carreer save so it shouldn't be a techtree conflict.

Those files did fix the scoops, but now I have no argon tanks. Filtering by resource shows an Argon Gas tab, but there is nothing in it and I'm not seeing any alternative argon resources listed.

Going to the research center like the guy above said did fix it. That's weird.

Edited by Ruptga

Hey all!

So today I thought I'd try to build an LFO refinery out on Minmus as a refuelling stop for my interplanetary flights. However when I deployed my ISRU to see how it all worked out on the launchpad on Kerbin I noticed it gave me no option to mine water. The ISRU can mine for Thorium and Uranium from the getgo even though there is none to be found there so the intake results in 0.000 grams per day. Now I can imagine that I wouldn't be able to mine anything out on the launchpad but for those 2 components the option is atleast there. For all the other ones such as water the window simply says the refinery is offline with no option to turn it on. I was just wondering if the option only appears in area's where there is actually water or if the ISRU is broken for me?

I do have a fair share of other mods installed but all of those run off of CRM so it shouldn't be conflicting. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong because I'm still pretty new to KSPI.

Try rolling an ISRU refinery into the water. I don't believe you can actually process ambient airborn water vapor, you need to extract it from the surface. This means you need to be splashed down in water (Kerbin, Lathe) or melting surface ice (Minmus, Vall, etc).

Edited by Atrius129

1). Interstellar still uses ORS. It's not Regolith and it's not ORSX. I only changed resource dependencies so it can now share resources defined by CRP, that's all. Resource gathering is still native to KSPI, and I don't have time to change it.

2). I've seen those disappearing from editor parts before. Yet another TechTree bug ;.;

3). I'm not gonna change resource gathering amounts without solid reason.

-No tritium breeding in background. Mine is breeding ok on offloaded vessel.

Hi Boris, thanks again for your efforts!

I get some strange effects with Tritium breeding. First, when breeding vessel (tried this with both Akula and Aegletes 2 reactors) is in backround breeding is MUCH slower than when vessel is loaded. Second, when vessel is loaded I get Tritium decay (quite rapid) at time compressions up to and including 50x, but good breeding at time compressions of 100x and above.

Kind regards

I'm getting the stock seismometer functionality but not the enhanced impact mode. Record and collect don't show up in the right-click menu for the seismometer.

Hellbus, do you have ModuleManager in your gameData folder?

Also, do you have science.cfg in your WarpPlugin folder?

Those are the only two reasons I could think of that is causing your problem.

1). Interstellar still uses ORS. It's not Regolith and it's not ORSX. I only changed resource dependencies so it can now share resources defined by CRP, that's all. Resource gathering is still native to KSPI, and I don't have time to change it.

2). I've seen those disappearing from editor parts before. Yet another TechTree bug ;.;

3). I'm not gonna change resource gathering amounts without solid reason.

I get the not changing the resource amounts Boris, my post might have been more suited for the main discussion thread.

I would like to thank you again for the .90 port! My game is running rock solid! I haven't had any bugs with the tech tree or VAB. Could it be something with deleting the techmanager or tree.cfg's?

I have the .dll file; is there supposed to be more than that? I was using v.13 and I had the enhanced seismometer but not the extended science tree, but with the update it's the other way around.

v.13 of what? KSPI? If you're using the new update I would really recommend deleting all the old KSPI folders and install KSPI "fresh".

For modulemanager all you need is the .dll it should be ModuleManager.2.5.6.dll

There should also be a science.cfg file in the WarpPlugin folder. This is a modulemanager config file that adds the seismometer experiment from KSPI to the stock part.

v.13 of what? KSPI? If you're using the new update I would really recommend deleting all the old KSPI folders and install KSPI "fresh".

For modulemanager all you need is the .dll it should be ModuleManager.2.5.6.dll

There should also be a science.cfg file in the WarpPlugin folder. This is a modulemanager config file that adds the seismometer experiment from KSPI to the stock part.

I did delete all the previous KSPI folders, and the files you mentioned are present. I'm going to try a fresh install of KSP and see if the problem persists.

Got another bug here. I have read the thread and saw mentions of the thermal power and radiators before but from what I gather you mostly fixed it. However I found that I can easilly re-produce the following:

34fo5sk.jpg

That one is the Akula 3.75m reactor fitted with 3 medium sized radiators. It states in the thermal window the dissipation for the radiators on this part comes down to 128.8 MW wich is ofcourse quite small compared to the 6-ish GW the reactor would produce.

On the other hand here is another picture of a Aegates reactor of the same size, fitted with the same 3 medium sized radiators.

2004fic.jpg

So on that one you can see the thermal display shows all greens and the radiators dissipate about 10.21 GW out of the 9GW this setup would produce.

Edit:

Just checked with the other reactors from the Sethlans series. All of them seem to have this issue so it's not just the 3.75m one. Other reactors from different series seem to be fine though.

Edited by Dr-Drunk

Hello Boris

I think you are doing a great job, and I hope you keep it up.

But I have two questions.

Is there a way to making the microwave transmitters, transmit any power that is made on the craft? like power generators that are in other mods like USI mods, and even RTGs?

Secondly I was wondering if you could make the transmitters a standalone pack?

Thanks

Seeker

Is there a way to making the microwave transmitters, transmit any power that is made on the craft? like power generators that are in other mods like USI mods, and even RTGs?

The limitation is that the stock resource API doesn't preserve enough information about a generator's steady-state output for Interstellar to calculate the available power level for every possible ElectricCharge source. Interstellar would have to know about the specific mechanics of every EC source you want to support. ModuleDeployableSolarPanel is supported because we're injecting a module onto solar panels anyway to override the effectiveness curve and add heating, and because it's specific enough that everything that uses it can be treated the same way. Other mods tend to use general-purpose converter modules that Interstellar would rather not get too cozy with.

If there were any third-party plugins that talked to the Megajoules system, transmitting any MJ they supplied would be free.

Secondly I was wondering if you could make the transmitters a standalone pack?

Thanks

Seeker

As long as all of Interstellar's modules are in one plugin, you might as well install all of the parts if you're going to install the plugin. I've thought about trying to split Interstellar into a USI-style family of plugins where you could pick the features you were interested in, but that would be a lot of code refactoring.

I have another issue with the game. I was playing and most of the buttons in the gui stopped working. The VAB SPH Launch pad don't work when clicking on them (they do highlight though). I can get in the science building, admin, and astronaut complex, but when I try to leave the exit button does not work... This is pretty game breaking... I'll put the output file incase you need it, if you don't it's no biggie. http://m.uploadedit.com/b044/1420500960271.txt

Question. Are ElectricPropellants.cfg and EnginePropellants.cfg still read from if they exist, or are the fuel types hardcoded into the mod? Or are they just still there, but hidden away in some dark corner of the file hierarchy somewhere?

EDIT: Derp, I somehow missed the Resources folder or dismissed it as technical files.

Edited by Whovian

Confirming that Tritium Breeding is not functioning normally - In .24/.25, rates were proportionate, and using an upgraded 3.75m fusion reactor running at high usage (microwave transmitter maxed-out), I could reliably have a (very slow) gain of Tritium over time regardless of time acceleration.

Here, even with increased Charged Particle ratio for the DT Fusion mode, Tritium Breeding is unsustainable...at time accelerations below 100x. At and above 100x, there is a sizable and disproportionate gain.

Testing further, by editing the He3 Cryostats reserves a little, it seems that the tritium breeding rate is not dependent upon the amount or rate of charged particles at all. DT, DHe3, and 2He3 modes all have the same exact rate of tritium breeding. It is dependent, linearly, on total reactor output/heat, and non-linearly on time acceleration. Serious problems for maintaining a fusion-powered microwave-beaming satellite.

Edit: Actually, the increase in gain does appear to be linear after 100x...for some reason, it just magically becomes viable and the signs flip when time is scootched up past 50x.

Edit2: So, a temporary fix for myself is just decreasing fusion fuel consumption by a single order of magnitude. This makes tritium breeding sustainable at 75% reactor output for the 3.75m High-Q Tokamak. I have noticed that at 50x time with this vessel operating at 95% reactor, the tritium rate is -0.01. However, when I increase this to 100x time, this goes instead to -0.18, a factor of at least 9 times more. Something going on with the simulation at 100x+ causes something silly not to happen to breeding rate, but reactor fuel consumption. The Deuterium rate goes from 0.18 at 50x to 0.00 at 100x...magically it isn't consuming fuel at that point. I'm guessing this only for a simulated ship, though, not a vessel in background which should behave normally.

Something really weird is going on here, as well. According to the reactor control panel , normally (without my edited consumption rate) the consumption rate for Deuterium and Tritium sit nicely at 32 liters per day, and the breed rate here shows 155.2 liters per day for tritium. Somehow, this is not translating accurately to either consumption or breeding rate, though my bet is on consumption. This vessel has been up for a total of 2.5 hours and (at its 1/10th rate of consumption) has already lost 4 units (liters???) of Deuterium. Deuterium rates: @50x, 0.08 - @100x, 0.00 - @1000x, 0.04 - @10,000x, 0.40 (oscillates to 0.33). Again, these rates are about one tenth what other users will experience.

Edited by Kiithnaras

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.